Some burglars are not deterred by a typical home alarm (which are not very loud) and they make a quick pass through house with the alarm blaring. Are the 30 W alarm sirens loud enough that some burglars may be deterred just due to the loud volume? Do you have any favorite alarm sirens? Do you mount them indoors, outdoors, or both?

Best,

Christopher

Some burglars are not deterred by a typical home alarm (which are not very loud) and they make a quick pass through house with the alarm blaring. Are the 30 W alarm sirens loud enough that some burglars may be deterred just due to the loud volume? Do you have any favorite alarm sirens? Do you mount them indoors, outdoors, or both?

Best,

Christopher

In general city bylaw do not permit to install alarm siren outside of your home

Thanks, I'll check local ordinances.

Best,

Christopher

If I were a thief I'd take a couple dollars from my profit and invest in ear plugs.

They take whatever they can grab as quickly as possible, siren or not. It's a sad fact that if anything, police response time has slowed. At least that's been my experience. Ten minutes is the norm. Grab what you can in five or less, you're golden. That's why it's always best to try and make your property a really lousy target to begin with. Cars in lighted driveways- not just motion on, but constant light. Lights at doorways. Good solid door locks. Alarm/CCTV video signs on the property, and some conspicuous cameras. Whatever you can do to help your property to be less attractive to burglary, the better. If alarms go off, it's probably too late- they're getting something out of it regardless.

I do have an exterior siren that I can trigger manually. It's an important part of the puzzle for me.

Cars in lighted driveways- not just motion on, but constant light.

I hear this security tip often but I'm not convinced. Over the past five years I've reviewed every auto burglary in our neighborhood quite extensively and in general, auto burglars don't seem to care if the driveways are lit or not. I caught two burglars that specifically went to the lit driveways because it was easier to see into the vehicles.

That is true I believe as well. I'd rather have light though. The big one there is LOCK your car doors. The walk-by door jiggle is very common. Crime of opportunity. Keep the car doors locked even during the day. Lots of vids here on that one. I think it's the first thing you realize goes on a lot when you install cameras. It's the first thing I caught too.

Thanks, I'll check local ordinances.

Best,

Christopher

Also to take into account the legal db limit.

Alarm systems in homes are starting to fade out ...... With the reasons already given (slow police response) or if home alarm is always giving false alarms (cry wolf )

Smoke bandit is now in the price range of a alarm system and it will protect much better than a alarm system

Smoke bandit is now in the price range of a alarm system and it will protect much better than a alarm system

How much are they in the US?

That is so cool. They have no idea if its poisonous I think I found their website - http://www.banditsolutions.com/

No phone number on the contact page. Probably an importer selling from a garage. Cool idea, though.

What I was thinking was a bright strobe light. That would make it hard for them to see anything but I guess you can throw something in front of it.

I always thought it would be cool to have a sci-fi self destruct sequence blaring throughout the house.

Best,

Christopher

There was a company demoing the smoke screen at ISC last year. It was impressive but I am concerned about liability. The bad guy trips and falls because of the smoke and now your going to get sued.

The Bandits are sold through ADI. But I agree, would not want it to go off on a motion detect. If I had full view of the situation from a camera that alerted me, 2 way audio to provide a warning to get out or die from poisonous gas, then I could see triggering it remotely, if not just for the YouTube funniness value, LOL.

I tried contacting Bandit but no matter where I send an email from it rejected, tried 3 different email services. They have no phone number posted. So maybe it's all just smoke & mirrors.

There was a company demoing the smoke screen at ISC last year. It was impressive but I am concerned about liability. The bad guy trips and falls because of the smoke and now your going to get sued.

Smoke has been around in uk for over 15 years but only just starting to be used more and more.

Liability was the problem at first DHL was a big user till a claim was made ...gange member hurt in raid.

Signage is important in and out of store or house.

Or recorded message while smoke is deployed.

We use thermal camera with are systems.

But fire departments in that area should also be involved they do make a lot of smoke