Sign in to follow this  
78westfalia

Live video from end of driveway

Hi all, I'm new to this forum. Seems like a lot of knowledgeable folks here.

The end of my driveway has a blind hill. Every time I pull out of my driveway, I risk mine and my family's lives. I have been searching for a solution for years and have come up empty handed. Just recently, a local security contractor suggested installing a camera. It would be connected to alarm.com and I can view the camera live from my iphone. Seems like a great idea.

Ok, now the problem. The end of my driveway is about 1300' from my house with no line of sight. I'm assuming we would need video transmission as well as power to the camera. The lines would be run through the air attached to existing telephone poles.

Any and all suggestions and feedback are greatly welcomed!

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Hi all, I'm new to this forum. Seems like a lot of knowledgeable folks here.

The end of my driveway has a blind hill. Every time I pull out of my driveway, I risk mine and my family's lives. I have been searching for a solution for years and have come up empty handed. Just recently, a local security contractor suggested installing a camera. It would be connected to alarm.com and I can view the camera live from my iphone. Seems like a great idea.

Ok, now the problem. The end of my driveway is about 1300' from my house with no line of sight. I'm assuming we would need video transmission as well as power to the camera. The lines would be run through the air attached to existing telephone poles.

Any and all suggestions and feedback are greatly welcomed!

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Huge mirror on top of the hill

or any other logical spot

with a camera you need to consider network delay which depending on the camera and or software can be almost instant to several seconds....not good in your situation...

Mounting your cables to existing poles is not recommended if those poles are not yours.

If the road is not too compacted beside your driveway, a narrow motorized trench digger can be rented at your local building center to dig a shallow trench for direct wire burial. Your long driveway will be quite a chore though. Don't forget to contact your local utilities to mark your buried gas/water lines first!

As long as you're not too concerned about being able to view the camera from anywhere besides the end of your driveway, you could simply set up an network camera, with a wifi transmitter, and then use wifi on your phone to look at the video. All you'd need to do is get power to the location. Depending on your location, solar power might even be able to do this. You only need it to work in the daytime anyways.

Reverse into your driveway when you come home, and front out when you leave? Who needs cameras? Watching your cameras on an iphone to see if the coast is clear is pretty bad idea. There would also probably be a 2-3 second delay from your iphone and the cameras

might like to try a simple idea for around $100

wireless car kit.

w-car-rcam-03.jpg

mount camera up a pole at end of drive way connect to car battery at bottom of pole and use a $30 solar panel to keep battery up.

mount monitor on car screen .............. you will only get image while you stop or pass the pole but that's all that is needed for your problem.