habusho

HD-SDI Cameras vs. IP Cameras where Live View is Critical

Hi everyone,

I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the technologies and doing reading on the forum.

We have an office where Live View is very important. We use it to buzz in people into the shop. Our shop houses very expensive items so security is a concern.

I've seen video comparisons showing the latency in IP cameras vs. HD-SDI cameras. In our particular situations, would you guys recommend an HD-SDI install vs IP cameras? If so, is there a recommended brand\model of camera? I'm looking to spend about $5K for an 8 camera system.

Thx

Hi everyone,

I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the technologies and doing reading on the forum.

We have an office where Live View is very important. We use it to buzz in people into the shop. Our shop houses very expensive items so security is a concern.

I've seen video comparisons showing the latency in IP cameras vs. HD-SDI cameras. In our particular situations, would you guys recommend an HD-SDI install vs IP cameras? If so, is there a recommended brand\model of camera? I'm looking to spend about $5K for an 8 camera system.

Thx

If 1080p is good enough for you than SDI is the way to go! Your budget should easily buy 8 SDI Cam with 8 Channel SDI DVR!

I would go HDSDI if you have someone watching the screen all the time and live view is important, no lag and the color looks better on HDSDI to me.

Is your 5k including labor or just equipment? You can get a 16 ch system for less than 5k if its just equipment, let me know I'll recommend you some stuff from my supplier.

Hi,

5K budget was for labor ideally but if need be, I can move the budget up slightly.

I'd love recommendations for specific equipment.

We don't have someone literally in front of the screen every minute but when somebody buzzes the door, it would not be alright to have lag as they enter and we open the second door. This could potentially be a security issue where one person leaves the door open for others to come in after him and from the 1 sec. delay it would not be ok.

Hi,

5K budget was for labor ideally but if need be, I can move the budget up slightly.

I'd love recommendations for specific equipment.

We don't have someone literally in front of the screen every minute but when somebody buzzes the door, it would not be alright to have lag as they enter and we open the second door. This could potentially be a security issue where one person leaves the door open for others to come in after him and from the 1 sec. delay it would not be ok.

With SDI if the dvr/camera/cabling is tip top condition, there would not be even a 1 sec delay.

So, I guess HD-SDI is the ideal solution for this particular use.

I would love to know about some specific model of cameras and other equipment that I could look at.

So, I guess HD-SDI is the ideal solution for this particular use.

I would love to know about some specific model of cameras and other equipment that I could look at.

Are you in a hurry to get the system? Am doing some demo video for advertising purpose using my dvr/cam. Currently those I have are adhoc fix them up with no proper placing/angle.

Well 500ms wouldn't be that much of a big deal.

If it gets into like 2 seconds it could be a big deal for security reasons.

I've seen video comparisons showing the latency in IP cameras vs. HD-SDI cameras.
Latency would be a non-issue in your case unless the system was so poor that its latency was seconds, not milliseconds.

Pick a technology that fits your needs and your site. For identifying who is at a door, pretty much any properly designed system type will work, even analog. IP has some distinct advantages over HD-SDI/HDcctv in that there are far more manufacturers and equipment choices and the video can be transported farther over various cable types with appropriate converters and extenders.

HD-SDI/HDcctv does have the advantages of lower latency and better "live" image quality but those "advantages" are often over-emphasized by proponents.

It's just that I've seen some YouTube videos that compare the two technologies. Here's on:

The latency I saw there wouldn't be acceptable for me.

It's just that I've seen some YouTube videos that compare the two technologies. Here's on:

The latency I saw there wouldn't be acceptable for me.

That link is a bunch of marketing bull****

Hah!!! You do realize that video was produced by WorldEyeCam, a "distributor" of mostly cheap, no-name CCTV products?

These companies are a dime a dozen on the internet and any claims made by them are typically suspect. That video is almost hilarious in its amateurism. It's pretty obvious that the IP system was deliberately throttled back to around 4-5fps and that latency was deliberately added or emphasized.

That video reminds me of the "infamous" train video produced by the HDcctv Alliance a few years ago. It compared the video of a toy train going around a short track from IP cameras to the same train via HDcctv cameras. It was obvious that the footage from the IP cameras was deliberately made to look bad and the Alliance's chairman was called out on that. The video has since disappeared.

Wow, ok. The latency there seemed to be a lot.

So if it's not that bad, I definitely can do an IP system. 500ms latency is nothing.

Would you guys have recommendations for me as to specific products then?

I'm not saying IP should necessarily be your choice, either. You should define your project and its objectives first. Distance between camera and whomever would "buzz" the person in. Existing infrastructure, in case it can be utilized instead of having to run all new cabling. Existing system, if any.

For just simple access control, you could buy something like an Aiphone Video Intercom. They have options for cameras and intercom types. You could also just buy a microphone or intercom and camera, monitor and maybe a DVR to provide video and audio. There are IP cameras that have microphones and/or microphone inputs and/or two-way audio capability.

The choices are endless.

The system will be for a jewelry shop. Shop will on the upper levels of an office building.

There is no existing CCTV system so this will have to be put in from scratch.

While live view is important. It's also important to be able to record the happenings of the office in case it's later needed for evidence.

The ceiling is made up of normal office tiles.

I wish I could understand your "security" issues where 1 or even 2 seconds of latency would be an issue.

Are your saying that 1 second of delay in response is unacceptable?

Please explain to help me understand. I have been doing this for a long time but I'm still willing to learn something new.

Let's say you buzzed somebody in but within that 1 or 2 seconds, the person keeps the door open for multiple other people to come in to the office. That would be a security issue.

There are 2 doors that they need to go through. You buzz in the first door and they're in a trap room.

If you buzz them in and they keep the door open and you don't see it and buzz in the second room, you potentially could have people you don't want in the office.

Let's say you buzzed somebody in but within that 1 or 2 seconds, the person keeps the door open for multiple other people to come in to the office. That would be a security issue.

There are 2 doors that they need to go through. You buzz in the first door and they're in a trap room.

If you buzz them in and they keep the door open and you don't see it and buzz in the second room, you potentially could have people you don't want in the office.

OK this makes no sense at all and you will have no where near 2 seconds in latency. If there is more then one person at the door you will see them. It's not like when you press the button the video will magically disappear for 2 sec. You WILL see the video the whole time and you WILL see any tailgaters entering the door.

The only advantage I see with going with an analog or HD-SDI system is it's cheaper and easier to put up spot monitors.

Your making something about nothing with the latency.

So you didn't have a true man trap setup as the first door would have to be secure before the second door will open.

You need a camera in the man trap area before you release the second door.

Lets see One Thousand one, One thousand two. Yea that's a long time.

Ok, If this happens then it is not a TRUE man trap!

Your wiring and configuration is wrong. You need to install a contact, preferably recessed into both doors and wire direct or as I prefer using a relay module. If door A is open door B will NOT open. If A is closed then B has the capability to open & vice versa.