Guest alopu

GEO configuration

Hi - how to setup Geo to work from D partition instead of C? Geo software writes some informations (configurations) on C:\Windows HDD - but we must have all informations (changes) on disk D not system disk C. Can you help us?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure, but you would perhaps need to completely re-install the GEO software and choose D:\Program Files\* instead of C:\Program Files\*

After doing above, then maybe do a quick registry scan and anything that's pointing to c:\windows... change to D: and just make sure to copy any files to a D:\win dir.

Make sure it's Geovision stuff you're repointing in the registry. If you do that to a windows key you can cause some serious issues.

Make sure it's Geovision stuff you're repointing in the registry. If you do that to a windows key you can cause some serious issues.
Oops, yeah that's what I meant. I was talking about scanning the registry for the Geo drivers/files you mentioned were installed in C:/Win.

Definately backup the registry before doing anything!

Yes, you should export the registry keys to your hard drive in case something gets screwed up.

If you can backup the whole system that would be even better.

You might want to search for a Drive Mapper program that will do this all for you. Partion Magic has one.

But honestly I would just deinstall it from drive C and reinstall to Drive D making sure you note all your configuration settings.

After doing above, then maybe do a quick registry scan and anything that's pointing to c:\windows... change to D: and just make sure to copy any files to a D:\win dir.

Registry it is not whole problem. GEO software keeps in C:\Win some *.inf files (it seems to me some configuration informations). Even if we install GEO software od D: - in Geo directory some data files *.mbd (multicam0.mbd, etc) points to C:\win directory (for *.inf files). Is it any way to change *.mbd files without hard, long, hand made (and not sure will finally it work or not) job with some data base editor? Or some other way, trick to install whole GEO od D: - with all files on D HDD? Because of some reasons we want to configure WIN with option - C HDD - not writeable at all.

What your talking about can be very tedious seraching the Registry.

I don't know what information your are concerned about losing, but if you have accumulated data files that you don't want to lose I guess you will have to just carefully check every file and the registry for C: drive references.

But even then it still may not work due to some unforseen reason that may arise. Sometimes drive reference can be stored in files that you can't edit.

So I am not really sure myself if you can accomplish what you are trying to do. ScottJ would probably be the person to tell you how to approach this.

From previous experance (Who's farking idea was the registry so I can beat them.) your back up should be exported to external media as well.

That would be the Dude.

I was going to say external media also, but I didn't feel like editng my post. Get lazy after being up for 24 hours.

You really have to not only know a program very well to do what you want to do, but also know the Registry very well. I would reinstall on drive D:

You can contact GeoVison tech support if you feel you really have to do what your asking about. They should be able to put you on the right path.

Insyall to the C: (or system drive with OS) the Geo software and drivers. Then just map the storage path to a separate partition or physical drive (or many drives for that matter). Be sure to map not only the video storage, but also all text related database storage areas of the Geo to the additional partition or physical drives. Now take two aspirin and check back with us and let us know you have it working perfectly.

Scottj

I dont know what the big deal is, i just did this last night again, when you install Geo, just browse for the D drive and create a new folder and name it ... thats it!!

Example

D:\MultiCam - for Geo

D:\Video - for storage

When you install the codecs for Geo, they automatically are installed into the Windows System Directory (whichever drive it is located on), and registered.

I dont know what the big deal is, i just did this last night again, when you install Geo, just browse for the D drive and create a new folder and name it ... thats it!!

Example

D:\MultiCam - for Geo

D:\Video - for storage

When you install the codecs for Geo, they automatically are installed into the Windows System Directory (whichever drive it is located on), and registered.

Hi Rory - have you check out ALL geo files including most current configuration files (modified during normal using of Geo system - adding users, changing resolutions, etc) are stored on D: only (no writes on C: )?

No problem with registry (I can edit it) but Windows folder is stored on C: only - so?

%windows% so it doesnt matter what drive it is on, it uses the current windows directory

Are you talking about a fresh install?

Rory - please read whole post history. The problem is to install geo software on disk D: in such a way - which does not require any writes on C HDD (where also WIN folder is located).

Like i said ... when you install it, select the D: Drive, and thats it .. simple as 1,2,3.

C:\Windows is NEVER referenced, in fact it should never be referenced in ANY software, we use the windows Path string in software, which means it uses whatever the Windows directory may be.

The Geo Codecs MUST be in the windows system32 folder, so whether that is on C Drive or D Drive, or Whether it is named Windows or Winblows, it still goes in the System32 folder under the main windows folder, regardless of what that windows folder is named.

Why do you want no writes on drive c: ?

Are you thinking you are going to improve performance or something?

Are you trying to keep just the OS on drive C and all the apps on drive d:?

I am trying to understand what the purpose is so we can better address the issue.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish and why?

I knew there had to be a reason I sell more standalone units. I have never personally installed a pc card but it sound like alot of technical knowledge is needed. I have used Toshiba, ARM, Samsung, Pelco and DM units and I have never seen this much help needed. I have sold some PC Cards but have only had one issue where it didn't come with the software. Are these Geo Vision cards or PC cards really this difficult?? I have some customers who told me GeoVision are great and loaded with features, do they have complete PC DVRS or just cards??

you can buy them from local Reps ready built, or install the card yourself, they are very simple to install and take but a few minutes. The only thing is, as with most DVR card, the hardware must be the correct specs, unless you are using the slowest version of the card, the GV250, and they work on almost anything.

The hardest part is installing windows and tweaking it perfectly.

Rory - please read whole post history. The problem is to install geo software on disk D: in such a way - which does not require any writes on C HDD (where also WIN folder is located).

It is harder to create a post in this forum then it is to install software to a specified drive. You can find a basic understanding here at this link:

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesTitle/productCd-0764574809.html

Scottj