Guest alopu

GEO configuration

Rory - please read whole post history. The problem is to install geo software on disk D: in such a way - which does not require any writes on C HDD (where also WIN folder is located).
Are you trying to install the OS on some other media then a HD?

Why is no write to C: so important?

I wonder if temporarily changing the %windows% or %system% path when installing would work. Or, maybe adding the second drive. Ahh, nevermind this is what no sleep in a week will do to a man.

Rory - please read whole post history. The problem is to install geo software on disk D: in such a way - which does not require any writes on C HDD (where also WIN folder is located).
Are you trying to install the OS on some other media then a HD?

Why is no write to C: so important?

Simple - no writes on C: (after configurig everything in system) - no viruses in system, no system crashes (or easy, fast recovery everything after crash with ghost), not necessary to use antyvirus software (system works faster and more stable), not possible to get trojans, etc, etc - do you want more reasons (it is long list)? But some changes must be possible (in Geo software) during normal using. Thats why all Geo software (especially configuration files and all other files which reguire writes during normal using) must be located on other (writable) disk. The questions is not WHY but HOW?

Sadly you are absolutely mistaken in your belief that by putting the software on another partition or drive that you will be safe from viruses and Trojans. The OS itself will write to the hard drive. And you can use Acronis True Image software to completely backup a partition for easy restoring if necessary. I use it all the time.

I really think you're going through a lot of trouble for nothing. I am curious to see the rest of your list though to see what else might be an inaccurate statement. No insult intended but it seems to me that you don't have a good understanding of how Windows XP works.

Sadly you are absolutely mistaken in your belief that by putting the software on another partition or drive that you will be safe from viruses and Trojans. The OS itself will write to the hard drive. And you can use Acronis True Image software to completely backup a partition for easy restoring if necessary. I use it all the time.

I really think you're going through a lot of trouble for nothing. I am curious to see the rest of your list though to see what else might be an inaccurate statement. No insult intended but it seems to me that you don't have a good understanding of how Windows XP works.

I know how XP works. But do you know really? Just think only about bigger RAM (512 is good enought and isnt too expensive) and turn off swap file (on HDD), think about especially configured XP (without Paint brush, and all other Win staff not necessary for DVR software) - where whole system takes under 400 MB on C partition and about several additional things (but I can not to learn you everything on this forum). If you want to know we sell system with other like geo boards (we have no such a problems with other system) which works as stable as Linux standalones. Do you want to tell - when you configure DVR - you just install standard version of XP with paint brush, screen savers, outlook, massanger, etc?

Yes I do have a very good understanding of Windows XP. And I have worked with PCs and mainframe computers for over 25 years. And you were not talking about stripping away the items from Windows that you don't need. You keep specifically asking how to relocate the Geo software off of the C drive. I can see locating the video files off of drives C as that is the way most people do it. That makes sense. If you want the Geo software on drive D. so bad just deinstall the software off of drive C. and reinstall it on drive D. the mere fact that you're trying to relocate the files at this time shows me that there was poor planning involved.

What data files are you referring to other than your video files? I don't want to argue with you. I am trying to help you.

I guess I just really don't understand why it is so important for you to have the Geo software on drive D. and why you can't just deinstall it from drive C. and install it on to the drive D. And if this is all about safety and performance issues there are many things that can be addressed that affect performance and safety.

Professionally configured DVR looks (talking about cheaper version of DVR where system files not located in flash memmory): on C: - Win system protected with Enhanced Write Filter, on D: - DVR software, on other partitions (it is good to make several) - video files. The problem is - if we install geo DVR software on D: - Geo software makes some database files *.mbd which points to some geo *.inf files located in C:\windows directory. I wrote about this already. The question is - how to move all Geo software (especially with configuration *.inf files) to D disk? We must configure geo software in way allowing no writes on C:.

So are you saying that your drive C is actually Flash Memory, like a USB key or something else and that is why you want no writes to Drive C? Are you talking about RAM memory?

I believe some files are going to end up in the Windows System directory anyway by program design as do other programs, even if you locate the main program components on another drive. Do you have a specific list of files you are concerned about that you would like to list?. What files have you identified that are referencing the C: drive after installing the main software for GEO on drive D?

I can remotely access a Geo System and see what you are referring to and perhaps address the specific question.

My very first post in response to your question had the answer for you I believe. Maybe.

Partition Magic has a utility program called Drive Mapper which does exactly what you are trying to accomplish. If the references are in a simple file structure that it can read you will accomplish your goal.

If the path is stored in a binary file that might be another story.

But I think you need to search google for a Drive Mapper program if you don't want to purchase Partition Magic which is a great program by the way and well worth the money.

I said C: could be on flash disk. But for current main problem it is not important (C is on flash or on first partition of HDD).

-------

If the path is stored in a binary file that might be another story.

--------

As I wrote - path to C:\WIndows Geo.inf files is stored in *.mbd files and we do not to want manually change *.mbd files (path to *inf files from C: to D: ) with some editors.

Just looking for someone with experience who solved this probleam already.

OK. If I was determined as you are I would manually edit whatever was necessary. And I would use a Global Search and Replace tool to do it quickly or the Drive Mapper program.

I guess your looking for the big "EASY BUTTON" like the commercial.

Just kidding with you. Well good luck, I tried.

Ok, Install windows on D:\ Drive, and Geo on D: Drive, end of story, please lets move on now.

Geo does not install to c:\windows, it installs to %windows% so whatever drive you have windows on, it will install the system files to.

There is nothing else I can suggest, it requires Windows to work.

Thanks

Rory

Rory - it is for nothing. Whole idea is Windows system disk is not writable (protected after instalations and configurations) and MUST be on different disk comparing to Geo DVR software disk.

ok lets clear this up please, Geo does not write to the Windows Folder, unless you visit the browser web page, then it will install to the windows folder the ActiveX.

All the Geo Settings are in the Geo Main Folder, whereever you choose to place it, and in the registry.

When you install Geo, it installs the system files such as the codecs to the Windows/System32 folder, and this is a requirement for almost all PC based software which install drivers or other.

This way you can reformat c: and still save all your Geo settings, just reinstall Geo and it it will come back up with the same settings as before.

Sorry Rory - you are wrong. Just make simple test (as we did). Install on C windows, on D Geo. Protect C with EWF or make image of C with Ghost. Then change for example recording resolution in Geo software. Then restore C form Ghost Image. Restart system and you will see - geo will have previous recording resolution.

did you do a full format before trying any of this, and then install Geo on D drive with a fresh registry etc?

Rory - bringing back system from ghost image makes much more than disk formating, registry cleaning, etc. Whole partition is rewriten.

Okay, some major issues with that theory of moving the partition.

Swap file: You'll have to put it on the same drive as the Geovision stuff or go without it.

Preventing Trojans/Viruses: You still have a machine that is taken over till reboot. If the machine is exploited once, it will be again not long after you reboot it. You haven't solved the fundemental problem of network security.

Patching: Patching this machine is going to be a mother PITA.

No, what i meant was, before you installed the Geo software on the D: drive, did you do a full clean format and install of windows, then install Geo on the D: drive?

Thomas's point about the Swap File is a good one though.

Although it sounds like he won't be using a swap file.

This whole business of not writing to drive C: is just; I don't know?

This has become a mountain out of a mole hill.

There just seems to be some ill conceived notions here regarding writes to drive C: The Master Boot records are there. the Registry, the files sysem is indexing files for faster retrieval and much more. So I just don't get it.

Maybe just no writes from GEO, I don't know?

Edited by Guest

my geo here is installed on the C: drive so id have to uninstall and clean to check it out, as it stands there is an ini file in the windows folder called multicam.ini with some of the settings in it. Id have to do a format and reinstall to test, so cant do that right now. There are also some other ini files, just do a search on C:\windows for Geo*.* and you will find them.

What is so hard about taking notes on your configuration to easily reconfigure upon a new install to the other drive?

There is information in a *.MDB file you don't want lost?