1) Can I use just a regular computer and install a DVR card in it? Or is the hardware specialized hardware? Also, does all the needed software come with the DVR cards? (In general, looking at Geovision).

2) If I purchase say a 8 channel card, and later decide to add more, do I have to purchase a 16 channel card and swap it out or can I just add another 8 channel?

3) Is there a limit to the number of channels?

Thanks for all the help guys!

-David

1) You can use a regular computer, however you should find out from the manufacturer of the DVR card which components have been test with their cards to minimize the chance of failure or incompatibility. Especially the motherboard.

2) Depends on the manufacturer of the DVR card. Some are stackable, and some are not. If you buy an 8 channel stackable card now, you can add another later. However, if you buy an 8 channel non-stackable card, you will need to swap it out when you want 16 channels.

3) Most go up to 16 channels. There are a few that go to 32 channels, but at that point you're better off going with two 16 channel systems.

HTH,

Minh

So a decent computer from Dell would work or it wouldn't work?

I've seen quite a few posts to stay away from VIA chipsets, how do I know if Dell or HP or another computer manufacturer uses VIA chipsets? B/c chipset is not something that you normally see when ordering a computer.

Thanks for all the help guys!

-David

Dell and HP usually post what the motherboard is if you dig through the specs. Dell tends to be Intel boards.

Dell and HP usually post what the motherboard is if you dig through the specs. Dell tends to be Intel boards.

I think it is the AMD motherboards that usually have the VIA chipsets.

You could always call them if your not sure. I tried looking up that information using the Dell Asset tag recently, but it didn't give me that level of information.

Might be there somewhere, but I gave up.

I don't ever see them listing the type of motherboard they use.

I know they have them customized for their machines, that is probably why they don't want you to know which vendor they use.

They don’t want you to buy directly from some other company that sells motherboards.

Thanks for the help guys, one more question.

I saw on the Geovision site that it said Radeon 9550 or better, just wondering if that is required and what exactly for? What I mean is there will be hardly no viewing of the video and stuff at the computer it will mostly be done remotely. So does it have to be such an advanced video card or will something like an onboard video work?

Also can all the settings be changed remotely?

Thanks!

-David

You can change settings across the internet using VNC which is free. Install it on the DVR and the remote computer.

There is a nice thread about video cards. I can't find it at the moment, but you can do a search. The video card you mentioned is an accurate example of the type of performance you need from a video card.

Depends on the DVR used (Real time ones - combos - want a higher perf card), a Saphire Radeon 9200se is generally all you need, cost like $40, $5 or $10 diff between the 64MB and the 9200 128MB version.

1) Can I use just a regular computer and install a DVR card in it? Or is the hardware specialized hardware? Also, does all the needed software come with the DVR cards? (In general, looking at Geovision).

It's not easy to respond in few sentences. Maybe you can read some stuff and then we could talk about it more. These links may be helpful for you while choosing the right machine:

List of computers tested with Geovision cards

http://www.polvision.com.pl/files.asp?lang=en&id=85

Which motherboards are recommended for Geovision systems?

http://www.polvision.com.pl/faqs.asp?lang=en&id=60

Which graphic cards are compatible with MultiCam system?

http://www.polvision.com.pl/faqs.asp?lang=en&id=50

You could also search this forum, people sometimes describe the Geovision DVR computers they've installed - which of them work fine and which don't.

Question for other guys: does MultiCam 7.1/8.0 support NVIDIA chipsets? I heard Geovision intends to support NVIDIA in 7.2 (8.1?).

Come on people, BUILD A PC FOR THE DVR CARD.

Do yourself a favor, do a search of this site, and READ READ READ.

Generally, prepackaged systems, from manufacturers like dell, in my opinion, being an installer for so many years, do not work great with the DVR cards, youre best bet is to go to your local computer store and have them build you a system, that's based in a intel chipset board, I myself prefer MSI board, tons deployed, none have give me problems.