fixman

license issue

Hello All,

I have computer/network company in NY

I wonder if I wont to install for my customers surveillance systems

Do I need license for that ?

Thanks in advance

call the state electric board and find out!

most times if you install something like that you'll be ok but there is a chance of getting a fine if you get caught installing without a license!

in arkansas its a class D felony for every install done.

Just ask the guy I used to work for before I started my own company

If you have a license for networking and computer installations(depending on state,federal, and county regulations) I would imagine since you are already running cat 5 and such you should be ok especially if you install IP cameras and PC DVR's.

What does it take to get a low voltage license? Is it similar to a regular electrician's license? If you are a licensed electrician, are you covered?

I'm in NJ. What are the requirements where you are for a low voltage license?

What do you get for a Class D?

Well, to start, 1-3 years in jail, or 5 years probation for first time offenders (most of the time) You algo no longer are allowed to own a gun, your life becomes hell everytime you do a job that requires background check, I believe that is $25000 fine, and a few other non plesant things.

But most of the time they drop it to a class A misdemeanor, which is up to 1 year in jail, and a $10,000 fine, but get to keep your gun.

Thank you all .

I contact The Department of State and I do need license.

about $1400 for school and test

The NY State License covers burglar, & fire only. Some counties have their own low voltage license, Suffolk for instance. NYC has special requirements for fire alarm install, fire monitoring, fire system service.

So is there a license required to do networking and computer installs?? If there is, would that work for installing PC DVR's and IP cams or because its surveillance you need something extra?

Hmm.. Just some thought in general on the old low voltage (class 2/3 circuits) vs. high voltage (class 1 circuits) saga. Many states require LV licenses. It seems just another way for local and state governments to support their bureaucracies. Look how many trades are licensed, yet sub-standard work is performed (i.e. a bad hair cut, poorly built home, bad auto repair or medical treatment). The consumer has relief from harm in the courts as with any business industry. Some electricians and their lobby groups want us out-lawed because we are a threat to a specialty portion of their trade. This has been the main reason why some states started licensing programs. I don't install alarms or fire protection systems, but I can see the need in that area. But data, phone, CCTV or audio and other class 2 circuits? My state senator told me there are periodic pushes for regulation in Michigan from special interests, but he said it wouldn't happen in the near future. It's going to happen and the consumer will pay for it....