watchfuleye

Opinion on housings

I am installing outside cameras and need a suggestion for housings with heat and blower. I was considering an inexpensive option such as VideoAlarm. Any experience with these?? (incidentally the camera will be a Toshiba IK-540A) Thanks

If you really want a housing like videolarm's inexpensive housing you can pick up the same exact housing from numerous online vendors for probably half the cost. Its just a standard oem job. Ask securitymonster I bet he has one just like it.

i cant speak for housings with heaters, but I like the GE ABS housings, and they also come with heaters and cable management, not cheap though. Also check out Wren. The GE ones arent the easiest to install but those suckers hold up good in a hurricane and stay dust and water free inside the housing

and oh yeah, you can have them painted black easily for covert night apps.

I use those OEM housings all the time, and I don't care what anyone tells me, I am in CT, where temperatures reach -2, and we get 60-80inches of snow a season, and I still have to have a camera fail because of the housing.

they dont fail, cameras are pretty rugged, but the OEM housings, dust gets inside. I havent seen 1 single OEM housing where there wasnt dust and dirt inside it.

The Pelco EH3512-2's with or w/o the MT option (EM1450) are the preferred housing in this area.

You're absolutely right on the Pelco EH3512's. Mostly what I use and install. I do also like the EH3508's, but here in California, not needing the fan and the heater too often. I lucked out last year, as I went to an auction at a local "self store" site. Someone didn't pay the bill on the unit, but when the owner went to open it and start the "bidding" process, I noticed dozens of these Pelco EH3512 and the 1450 mounts, but in the boxes. So no one bidding knew what they were. Bought the whole storage unit ( I won't state for how much) removed them, called the local sheriffs office and asked about the former owner. No problems. Just went out of business due to divorce. Just wanted to make sure they were not stolen from some contractor. Anyway, you won't be sorry by using the Pelco housings

We have used the costar line of outdoor cams with good success they are

sealed and have a built in heater blower ( some Models also have used their envirocam without heater and have had no problems down to -4 F