joerockshard

Cheap budget, but lots of cameras....

I have a client who owns a hotel that is comprised of 2 buildings each with 2 floors on both sides. They currently have 2 8 camera DVRs, running very low resolution cameras. Recently they have had several cars broken into, and while you can see it happening, you cant make anything out regarding the identity of the person. They are wanting to replace their system, (which has no name or model # on the DVRs anywhere) and put in something better. I suggested an NVR system such as the lorex. I realize thats not a commercial grade system, but they arent going to spend a ton of money. I priced out 2 of the 16 channel NVRs that both come with 16 MP cameras. That would put them at 32 cams which would cover the entire property, but after cabling and such, it came to about 10K. They are looking at maximum 7K.

So what I need is a solution for them that wont break the bank, but still provide the clairity and range to help stop these break ins. Who's got some suggestions? I prefer NVR for the simplicity of 1 cable and POE per cam.......but if thats what is making it cost prohibitive, I can deal with it not being.

Lower the number of cameras. If they have 16 now, why go to 32? They could install like 20 or 24 if that gets the cost under 7K, and make the system grow in the future if/when needed.

When the system was installed, more cameras should have been installed. They need cameras in places they dont have them. The guy who put it in, put in 2 8 channel DVRs and there is no room to expand.... There are a lot of places that have NO coverage at all....

If what they want costs 10K then it costs 10K, if they can come up with 7, they certainly can dig around the couch cushions for an additional 3K. You have to eat too.

I would have quoted them using high end components at like 25K and then quoted using middle range gear for a much lower number. It usually puts people in perspective of what things really cost. I do network/server installs and I do this all the time. Because if I install low range junk, guess who gets blamed for that? I do....

Sounds like some bozo installed a "ebay special" and now they are ready for a "real" system

I would have quoted a system where the manufacturer actually makes the equipment, not a lorax where they take whatever they can get a good deal on at the moment and stamp their name on it.

Good luck

Hey if you work for nothing I have a few jobs you can do for me....

Seriously I learned a LONG time ago everytime you try to save a client money, it ends up costing you money. Not worth the effort.

Obviously don't suggest work that doesn't need doing unless you want them to drop you fast.

If what you quoted is what they need I agree thats the price end of discussion Alternatively you can add more dvrs

and provided you supply equipment that uses the same remote client, you can piggy back them on the network so they can all be viewed on a PC screen. I have one client in a similar situation with 3 different non compatible DVRS. We threw them out and replaced all with Hikvision, networked them all together and now they can be viewed on any PC across the site using the IVMS remote client and in the general office on two dedicated 32 inch TV s running through a dedicated PC. They now have 64 cameras most of which are due to be changed at some point.

Hey if you work for nothing I have a few jobs you can do for me....

Seriously I learned a LONG time ago everytime you try to save a client money, it ends up costing you money. Not worth the effort.

I agree with that sentiment, there is no payoff in saving them money while it costs you a lot of time and grief, time is money as well. Plus if they spend 7K and end up with a mediocre system, they will look at you as a bozo. If they spend 10K and get everything they wanted, even though it cost them more up front, they will look at you as a hero.

I come from a slightly different industry, but the concept is the same. If a client wanted the best, most reliable, most features, I would sell them the Cadillac system, if they wanted something that will do and be reliable, I would sell them a Honda system. If they wanted cheap and bottom of the barrel, I don't sell Yugos go find someone else who will

Leave up the old cameras/system and keep that running.

Install a new DVR with the future capacity you initially intended, but don't buy all the cameras now. They can buy more later.

Install the new cameras where crimes have been happening recently. They can add more cameras later.

And/or...

Maybe there are "choke points" where people must walk by to get to the other areas? Maybe a few cameras there (for identification) used along with the old system would do the trick?

I agree with the others. Keep the cameras that are already in place, while maybe swapping out some of them as needed.

Add in the ip cameras and nvr or possibly a hybrid nvr/dvr and make it work.

I find it real funny when business owners expect dirt cheap bargain prices but if you dare ask them to reduce their price, well that's a different story.

I was at a local liqueur store last year and the owner asked me for a price to install an 8 camera cctv setup.

Right there she wanted a round about price which I shot out a quick number (though I hate to do that). She said, that's too high. I never went back to try and make the sale because I can already tell it would not have been worth it. They don't discount my wine.

joerockshard,

Any analog cameras are supposed to output D1 or 960H sized video. Old DVRs had to scale down the video into CIF (a quarter of D1 size) for recording. Please buy a new 16 Ch DVR and plug all 16 cameras to the DVR and check whether you can get the the video quality that you like to have.

Then you can start to change the positions of cameras or upgrade some cameras if needed.