jisaac

Ptz controlled by playstation remote control

Hey at the summit in dallas last weekend this guy was showing us how you can use any usb remote control to control a ptz. It was with the axis software. And he was right he was able to control the moondance with that controller. Was pretty neat. What I want to know, no wait let me re phrase that. What I want to SEE is someone hook up those dance pads for video games that those chinese kids in the arcade at the arcade in your local mall dance on. Where you have to dance the dance that the screen tells you too. could you imagine someone actually controlling a ptz in a control room with the "dance dance revolution" and getting all into it like those kids in the arcade do! That would be hilarious! Ok rory, lets see you do it and post some video! You know you want to.

Edited by Guest

What a contrast between the two videos. The big guy was doing good until he got dizzy and almost died of a heart attack.

That kid was awesome. They have it all now, eye, hand and foot coordination.

I think we might be off topic. Oops. I was led astray.

ya on the first video that kid was moving. His feet were a blur. Did you see that screen? It said perfect every time. Man I still like the Call of duty 2 and the shoot em up blow em up games. Especially with my surround sound. Dont care much for dancing.

But seriously that feature of being able to control a ptz with a/any controller over the network/internet is pretty cool. I would love to be able to use a regular ptz controller to control a ptz that is remote. That is something that others need to pick up.

wireless keyboard that has a joytick, my client has a few of them with her plasmas ... so basically all the Client Software needs is support for mouse control for the PTZ, which is quite simple.

There are connections for playstation controllers for PC. When I was in college I wired an original Playstation controller to my PC parallel port following a diagram found online. Don't even need to destroy the controller, just get a controller extention and plug into that.

Once you have the controller wired to the PC, there is a driver available for download (comes with wiring schematic, as it's hobbiest so non-standard) which will allow you to use the Playstation controller on the PC as a standard PC gamepad. It's been so long I don't remember the name, but I know there were a few of them.

If you're not into soldering stuff, I'm pretty sure someone capitalized on this and actually marketed a product like this. Search for "Playstation to PC controller" and you might find it.

Now, about controlling PTZs with it, as long as the DVR software can communicate with standard Windows game controller APIs for controll, I don't see why you couldn't hook up a DDR foot pad to your newly rigged controller extention and have windows recognize the 'keys', thus allowing you to control a PTZ with it.

-s-

oh ya I have no doubt that it is possible. I just want to see someone do it.

"ok who has that booth at the isc show?"