fas

Twist on bnc connectors wire stripping question

I don't like the way the crimp on connectors sometimes come right off. I would like to try twist ons, but I never used them. Is the process similar? Do you still use the cable stipping tool to strip the wire, then bend the braiding back and twist on?

i only use twist on. strip the coax (i use the tool that u put on ur finger and rotate around a few times) and make sure the braiding isnt wrapped aroudn the center conductor or touching in anyway. then cut the center conductor at an angle so that i slides into the bnc easy and twist.. no need to bend back the braiding that will only cause a piece to fall off and maybe touch the center conductor and ull lose ur picture

i have recently started using compression. man when you do the compression correctly (takes getting used to) you can not get that sucker off. The only way is to cut the cable. if the termination is not correct then it will come right off. Which I like because you know it was not 100% and you wont come back in a few months because the continuity between the center conductor and the connnector finally came loose. But those compression are significantly more expensive

Yeah, i've heard using compression its either 100% on there or 100% not on there, just a little getting used to.

On the twist ons, strip the cable like you would for a crimp on, but instead just twist on your connector.

twist it until it cant twist no more and its tight ... it also takes getting used to to do it right. Done wrong it can break the center piece.

ya, i am not one of those guys that will tell someone that crimp or twist or compression is the only way to do it. I have no problem with any off them. If you are not used to compression i would not use it until you practice. The twist on are good for anyone to use. Crimp on definitly good. But back to the twist on ya your going to twist until it just stops. Give it a good pull to ensure proper termination. If you give it a good pull and pull it off then it was not done 100% right. By the way you guys ever do 3 piece crimp or 2 piece? I used to use 3 piece before compression. But make sure all your installers/coworkers know to crimp the center pin on the conductor before sliding the bnc end over the cable (there was this one job.....)

I just installed some twist-ons last week.

Each was bagged separately, and the plastic bag had a diagram to show correct termination.

These were the Cambridge from ADI #CD-CPFIUG882 for $1.50.

They also sell #GE-3024 at $1.00

It specifies the center conductor should be 9/16 long (from the dielectric to the end of the wire)

This doesn't work, 1/2 inch is more like it. I could feel the center conductor entering the connector (very exciting), then I twisted; and it worked!

I have used both twist on and crimp on have not had the chance to try compression fittings but I have the compression tool from a job with RG6 and f connectors. We did a job for a friend TV, Network, Home Security and I had to make up the outside connection so there was no choice on what type connector to use.

I could feel the center conductor entering the connector (very exciting)

Whoah....lets try keeping these forums a little bit cleaner

i dont care who you are, thats funny right there

Edited by Guest