tux

PTZ eBay

I would like to buy a PTZ camera and was looking at the ones on ebay, i would like to control the camera from a computer, i have a rs232 to rs485 device is this all i need for any ptz dome? also is there any Pelco control software cant seem to find any anywhere or failing that some VB sample code.

Cheers

Most good dvr's come with ptz control and have the pelco D protocals built in. We need a little more info.

1. What type ptz are you trying to control?

2. What type dvr are you using?

3. What version dvr software are you using?

I wouldn't buy on e-bay if I were you, unless you like to gamble. Better to buy from an online dealer so you at least get a warranty.

Where are you going to put this camera? Do you already have a DVR? Are you just going to plug this into the internet to view your house while your gone? Give us some more info so we can help you out!

I want to put the PTZ dome on my roof and connect directly to PC and write some software to control the camera from the computer

Do a google search for "Pelco D Protocol". I know there is a .Net app that does it and you can find the commands online. Or you can also Pelco and they will send you the spec sheet.

thanks

so after i've written the program all i need to do is connect the rs232 to rs485 converter to serial port and RS485+ and RS485- from the converter to the dome?

The dome says multi protocol including Pelco-D Pelco-P, I just found a DVR Card and Software and tested it and it has PTZ function but for Pelco it only says Pelco ASCII and Pelco Spectra what does this mean will it work with my dome? Thanks

Well i got the dome its from world-cctv this one http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&langpair=zh-CN%7Cen&u=http://www.world-cctv.com/product/display.asp%3Fid%3D83&prev=/language_tools

it has 4 inputs A B A B i've tried 485+ on both A's and 485- on both Bs

selected the Pelco-D protocol on the DIP switch 1 on 2 and 3 off

selected (ID 1) 1 off 2-8

loaded up Pelco software (Glass Keyboard) selected 2400bps buad set it to Pelco-D set Com1 entered 1 as Address COM1

and nothing

it has a jumper and this is what it says in the manual about it:

4. RS-485 CABLE TERMINAL RESISTOR

For control center, avoiding the reflection and distortion of RS485 signal and other signals, must install the terminal resister on the distant communication equipment. RS485 adaptor’s JP1 has jumper switch. Please insert jumper cap into two sticks marked ON. This indicates the connection between terminal resistor and RS485 cable.

anyone seen or used this dome know what could be wrong?

the glass keyboard software is a bit advanced there must be some basic software to control Pelco-D protocol???

Cheers

I bought a controller AR11 http://www.rgnetworks.co.uk/cgi-bin/quikstore.pl?store=&search=yes&detail=yes&product=CCTVAR11&category=CCTV_-_Dome_PTZ_Cameras&keywords=&hits_seen=&page=search.html&and=&affiliate_id= its PelcoD so it should work

there is even the possibility that the dome is faulty but if the dome works with the controller then atleast i know its all working and can try and get it to work with the computer

mayb my rs232 to rs485 converter is faulty or the ptz software

i've seen this http://electro.ath.cx/camserver/index.htm so there is pelco ptz software out there does anyone know the Glass Keyboard software and if i am doing it correctly?

if it doesnt work with the controller hopefully i will be able to get it tested somewhere

Would love to know what these pieces cost - - ptz, hardware controller, software controller (if not free) - not including all time spent (so far) for future reference (if you don't mind sharing). Could be a usefull comparison tool to share with others consideiring an "eBay PTZ" purchase. Thanks.

The dome was £330 and the controller i just bought was £40 but there could be another problem now the dome says Pelco-D 2400bps and the controller says Pelco-D 9600bps does this matter?

Typically "D" is run at 2400 baud and "P" at 9600 but you should be able to change it in one place or another (or both). Look for little dip switches on the back side of the inner dome drive (assuming it's "modular") and/or the back or bottom of the keyboard. I guess it could also be configurable in menu settings or even be "auto-sensing." If you're really up for a challenge consult the manuals looking for any info on "baud rate settings." I would try to change the keyboard to match the dome and run at 2400 baud.

I think that £370.00 is more like $650.00 U.S.

I think Its better to pay the little extra & get a professional unit like Lilin that works out of the box.

You're right on the conversion (I converted from Euro's not Pounds - don't know my international monetary symbols from a hole in the ground). I would say though that you can do still better than Merit Lilin. Have a buddy that's had way too many problems with those too (power supply and overall life expectancy issues). Maybe you get a better quality version over there... dunno.

Edited by Guest

We carry that line but I never heard of them till a couple months ago and for that price and hassle should have bought Pelco.

No JMAN - think you missed that. The problematic ebay PTZ that "started" this thread is not from Merit Lilin - - someone else actually suggested Merit Lilin as a professional alternative to it (that gives you an idea of how low this thread actually started).

I know I have been following this thread from the begining. I just had to put my 2 cents in on the meril streep or merit litin or no its meril lilin right?? I have a customers who customer loves this one http://www.meritlilin.com/english/produtcs/products_ca.htm I have tried to tell them I can get4 just like it for less but seriously he should have just bought a spectra 3 for all the hassle ar listend to my first comment and bought something else.

Oh... but that would have killed all the "learning fun" that comes from such "ebay PTZ purchase" experiences...