mactech

help. Geo Webcam turns itself off!!

need some advise, have a 608 ver 7.05 geo dvr system- lots of memory, etc, win xp used---been working great, but.....

using the Webcam for about 2 months, issue is after several days of been on line and using it- the web cam turns itself off. no reason to explain it, system has a ups, static ip doesn't go down.

only a couple of users- only one set of keys to the room where the DVR is locked up.

I acutally have watched it turn itself off after a reboot- real weird!

re installed Geo software, upgraded to the 7.05.

any ideas on whats happening????

great site- been sandbagging of awhile!!!!!

I have a customer who this happens to as well, be glad you aren't having to run service calls to it. Luckily for me hers will go months rather then days.

I think it is a bug. I have seen this same problem. After a reboot the WebCam server for whatever reason does not get started even though I have the check mark to restart it.

I ended up disabling the autoboot feature because of this reason. The problem is not consistent either, it is intermittent.

Maybe somebody else can confirm this as a bug or tell us what could be causing this?

Welcome to the Forum by the way.

Webcam is basically a web server, like how IIS is. Make sure no other program is fighting for the port that the web server is set for. If it is on Port 80 now, switch it to port 81 or port 82.

Another thing to check is to make sure you have enough Hard Disk space on the Disk Drive that the main Geo Folder is located on, as Everytime the Geo Server software is closed (WebCam is stopped), the root of the WebTemp folder is cleared of files, and when WebCam is started again with the Geo Server, it recreates the files in the root again - so if you're out of space on the HDD, it will fail.

Yeah, low disc space on c: drive can cause it.

one thing to check is the "log" file storage, you can send that to another drive as i have seen issues when the log is stored on C:.

Best to remove C: from storage really and leave it to o/s.

Another thing to check is webcam setup, check the audio server tab, if your not recording audio, untick the check boxes as this can close the server also......

In my case I don't have low hard drive space and IIS is not installed on the DVR. Is there anyting else to check or is this a bug?

This is happening to me on a 1240-8 Combo card. Is this a bug in the 7.05 software? It is very strange because it doesn't happen all the time.

I had the box (restore settings) checked under the Auto Reboot feature and the settings would not be restored all the time. I will have to test this some more.

If anybody else is having this problem please let us know.

Ive never used 7.05 so I cant say, whether you have IIS or not the Geo Web Cam is a Web Server like how IIS is a web server.

Check your PC's paging file also.

Yep, I had this exact same issue. Normally, it would only turn off when using Remot Playback and scrolling the slider or simply selecting another clip.

No paging file either. Sounding more and more like a bug.

But will have to see how many others have experienced this?

Not that I can remember, but that isn't saying much because I didn't test the Auto Reboot feature much before putting it out.

I am going to set it up to reboot every night again and see how often it happens. Right now it has been rebooting once a week and it has not happened yet. But that isn't many reboots since I changed it.

I use Auto Reboot on all the systems I have done, set to reboot once every day. Never had a problem with WebCam coming back on.

I always use Apply Startup Settings. I think I had an issue in the beginning when i used Restore Last Status.

I will let you know if it happens anymore.

I have made one change though. I now run a schedule instead of a Day/Night routine. I think I had the problem on restore last status also.

I will start with restore last status first then.

1st night everything came back up like it should.

Last night after the reboot the WebCam server failed to load after the reboot.

So there you have it. It is a reproducible problem that appears to be a bug.

Being that we have built over 400 systems over the last 5 years, we have come to find that most of the time when the WEBCAM viewing shuts off, and assuming you mean "VIEWING remotely", is that the problems 90% lies within in your broadband connection.

If you problem lies at the DVR location, not re-enabling the WEBCAM feature, your problems lies winth geo config files. I seldom see this, but the cure that seems to work, is complete un-install of the GEO program, and re-loading to the version that meets the card version, and then update back to current allowed. Do not jump to new load, on a old card. I see this too often the culprit of system crash.

Strange. I wonder if possible to do a script as a temp measure (like crontab in Linux) that runs every so often in the background restarting the web server if necessary. The web server on ours only started crashing 'after' upgrading to v7*.

thanks guys for the suggestions.

All software is on partation 1 and data is on #2 drive.

did a restore of all software- heard that maybe some dll file corruption can cause problems.

also looked at the bios- found things like comm 2 enabled- no com 2 on system- this can cause the system to be unstable later as the com ports can have issue's and lock up the system communications!!

Been online now for 3 days- no problem yet!!!!

will keep ya abreast of the fun!!!

and yes- 8-10 times out there to reboot- figure out the problem!

I've just recently had this problem. We installed 5 servers with 7.05 I think, GV-800 16 channel cards sometime in December. They ran fine for months.

Then the other day the guys at this place saw that Norton Antivirus was expired, so they installed their centrally-managed version of Norton.

Shortly thereafter, I've had the problem on TWO of these servers. After the nightly reboot, the webcam would die. Reboot it again (or manually turn it on), and it'd be fine.

So far, 2 of the 5 have done this. Never had it any other time. Have XP auto-update on, wonder if it's got something to do with a recent update?

Anyway, my 2 cents.

I never thought of an update conflict, but that is possible.

I was just notfied by a browswer copmany regarding a Microsoft Non Critical Update that had to be removed to enable their product not to use most of CPU.

Time will tell.

hi, I've using GV system for 3 years and I think it's very stable.

If your system can not auto run webcam server after pc reboot, you might check some settings about you DVR's configuration.

1.Make sure you already enable the function in Configure / system configure / General settings / startup / Webcam server

2. If you enable the auto reboot function from configure / Auto reboot setup, you must check your setting is Restore last status or Apply startup settings

3. When the problem happens, can you excute the webcam server manually? If not please check you pc which is there any other software running and ing port 80, ex: skype, IIS server Apache server ... etc.

If yes, is the problem always happened or just special case and contact Geovision support.

This is my opinion, hope that helps you.

hi, Spype use port 80 and geovision webcam http server have used port 80, too. If your computer install Skype, you can not excute the webcam server. It is port conflict.

Actually thats not totally correct, i run skype and webcam on my PC ...

"The minimum requirement is that Skype needs unrestricted outgoing TCP access to all destination ports above 1024 or to ports 80 and 443 (the former is better, however). If you don't allow either of those, Skype will not work reliably at all. Voice quality and some other aspects of Skype functionality will be greatly improved if you also open up outgoing UDP traffic to all ports above 1024, and allow UDP replies to come back in."

I leave port 80 unchecked myself. However, i generally use port 81 and 82 anyway for my Geo and IIS web servers. If anything you would have a problem with SKype as port 80 is a back up port, if you leave that box checked.

Rory

I thought Skype uses port 80 for primary and 443 as backup. At least that is the order in which their listed.

I have the GEO Web Server running on port 80 and have had Skype on the system since I put it out and have had no problems until recently. Now I am having problems everyday where I lose outgoing communcation to the internet.

I am able to log in remotely with VNC and the remote viewer program, but I can't skype myself files off of the DVR or use CenterV2. I updated the Skype from 1.4 to version 2 recently, but I don't know if that could be causing it or not.

I was having the problem everyday when I tried CenterV2, so that was what I thought was causing it and quit using CenterV2 as it was not needed anyway, but the problem persists.

Hmmmm. Have to figure this one out. Tired of resetting the router.

Not using port 80 on my PC ... im watching all connections right now ...

49087 is the incoming port im using right now ...

Audio uses UDP according to what I read.

They must scan whichever ports are open and use the first available one.

Hence that it works behind firewalls without port forwarding (tunnelling??)