jisaac

Upgraded and pleased

Man I finally got upgraded all of my computers ( 2 desktop and 2 laptops ). And am extremely pleased with my investment. total was over almost $10,000. Man these computers are rippin compared to my older 2 years old computers. Worth every freaking penny. Anyone else working on old slow computers?

Not really, not for four computers. 2 high end laptops will set you back quite a bit by themselves.

What did you get for your money?

i have to say even converting to pounds (and stuffs crap expensive over here !) thats one hell of a lot of money!

Yup I work with slow PCs all the time, both of my machines here at my desk are slower then 2Ghz. Sucks but the still is antiquated before it ships anymore so I quit tring to stay up with technology. I think I'm on something like a 2-5 year cycle as well.

Good thing is though most of my old old old junk still works, I have a pile of ~P 133s that are all still fully functional and make great routers, firewalls and paperweights.

2ghz 512ddr here, and I develop on it .. works fine .. plus run a DVR minimized .. 2 channels ..

Okay ..i also got a 3ghz here now ..

I have a Dual Core AMD FX60 overclocked to 3Ghz and 2GB of memory right here in this magazine I am looking at.

Yep. I productively saved myself some money as I already have a 2Ghz Pentium M Laptop and 2.53 Ghz Desktop. I decided to do distributed data processing to accomplish the same thing as having one very powerful computer. Plus I am utilizing what equipment I have.

I am trying to hold out. I want a duel core processor right now, but until they have more software that supports them it is not utilized that much in todays applications. Just helps with multitasking a lot, which I do, but don’t want to buy a new system for curing a little sluggishness every now and then.

Yeah it sure would.

Our tax dollars enable them to spend. I wonder what the NSA's budget is?

Anybody using a Dual Core regularly that they would recommend over a single core. This is for personal use, not a DVR. Although I use a Pentium D820, extra core isn't going to hurt. Everything is going duel core anyway.

Intel is going Quad Core already in the server market.

I wasn't implying that they use PC's. That was my own personal question tucked in that post.

Silicon Graphics owns most of, if not all of Cray now. Cray is not really the fastest computers anymore.

I would think the NSA is using something more powerfull. As they need all the power they can get.

Like this:

The new and previous No. 1 is DOE's IBM BlueGene/L system, installed at DOE’s Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL). It has doubled in size (again) and has now achieved a record Linpack performance of 280.6 TFlop/s. It is still the only system ever to exceed the 100 TFlop/s mark.

This is the Crays current ranking:

The No. 10 spot is occupied by a Cray XT3 system at DOE’s Oak Ridge National Laboratory with 20.53 Tflop/s. This is also the new entry level for the TOP10, up from just under 10 TFlop/s Linpack performance one year ago.

I had a chance to work with that computer (acutally this was a while ago, so it would have been a much slower computer), but after the microscope they put you under in the Lab I said forget it.