VST_Man

CM-2

I just order a CM-2 with te UTP module. I will reply with my comments concerning it after I test it hard. If anyone has any tips in using please pass on.

thanks

got it today. nice package; tester, UTP module, & case

so far I played on the bench with 2 camera's. it completely focus it better than I could have; fat fingers, bad eyes, and no patience. did a quick field test on a outdoor box camera WITHOUT a monitor to double check it and it did a great job....no monitor needed.

if you hate focusing and refocusing buy this thing. sames you a bunch of time and effort and it gets it right the first time.

advice.....ALWAYS install the camera at the location; get your angle(s) and field of view THEN do the focus adjustment as the last adjustment; the meter reading represents the actual area of view so it makes sense to mount it first.

as far as adjusting in low light to get the best reading I will let you know if the adjustments I made in daylight today are able to get any better on the meter. I do have a #5 welders lense so I will try that also. will also use it on bullets and board type to see how it works. pretty sure that it will work everywhere I need it to.

If you plan on buying it ask for Catrenia at FMsystems. I get NOTHING for this, I am just passing who I think you should call based on the service I received from her.

used it today on a chain. basically took a reading on the meter BEFORE I adjusted it. In all caes the focus was increased by 100 -200 on the meter and the pic was noticebly cleaner and crisper. also used the ground loop feature which was easy and quick.

Hey VMan, thanks for the review!

I am familiar with the CM-1. Is the CM-2 a newer model? Different features?

What was the cost?

link......call Caterina

CM-2 has a grond loop tester now.......everything else "should be the same".

My only complaint now is that trying to hold it and focus is slightly a balancing act, but still worth the investment. I'm planning on adding a neck strap so that if I decide to drop it it don't break before my butt does. But it works pretty nice.

it is a video camera test meter that measures focus, sync, luminance, composite, color burst, and ground loop.

Your accumulating all the nice toys aren't you?

This one sounds like a good one. When I first saw the CM2 it was like you writing EMC2 on a blackboard and walking off. I didn't have a clue on what you were talking about.

toys? I'm always going to try to stay instep with technology so that my end product installs blow away the competition. You never stop learning in this field so I have to spend money on R&D in order to be able to offer all the clients needs.

and, the CM-2 can be used as the standard for installing and troubleshooting problems. On installs I can instal perfectly and ensure that the camera's have no problems. On troubleshooting I can quickly determine simple things first and move onto repairing it quicker. I've had bad camera's that looked good on a monitor at the DVR but when connected they sucked..........................the CM-2 has the potiental to read the signals and tell you if there is a problem; ground loop, luminance, sync, ect. The manual also explains what reads are good and bad and the effects if bad. And there is a 1-800 on the back of the CM-2 if you have any Q's...................maybe I should sell these?

I'm convinved. I've used it for several days now. Even went back to old customers to readjust cams. In everycase the focus was increased (with no monitor) and when I went to look at the result, both before and after via recorded, the pic was better. no tweaking back and forth, looking, straining to look at all corners of the monitor, ect.......just connected, adjusted to the highest reading, done.

and the best part is my clients are calling me to tell me thanks, camera's look great!

I forgot one other great reason.........I will be able to "TRUST" othetr installers to get it right the first time. Can't tell you how many time I've had to readjust someone else's focus jobs. The CM-2 will keep it simple and the results will be the same for who ever uses it.

oh, and it does the back focus toooooooooooooo

Sounds like you might have taken offense to my use of the word "Toys"

What I meant is that you are accumulating all the latest technological tools to aid in your profession. And when you enjoy your profession, which I believe you do, it is like Christmas when you get something new like that.

I'm a gadget guy. I love my gadgets (toys).

It appears to be a useful tool in my opinion. Certainly gives an installer and edge on the competition.

Scottj

no offense taken..............just like you stated.it's fun.....

Rory, cab I send you my before's and afters to show the differences between my eye/monitor and the meter? I'm currently working on installing my very own WEB server so I won't have t be so pissed off at the comercial version of the free ones.........got everything but the software (WEB Edition 2003). Will be my first "Server" so if anyone has some tips on how to set it up for use in storing video's, ect. please send it my way. Other wise I'll just wing it.

Bought the CM-2 myself today, should have it on Monday to play around with. Interesting toy, glad you mentioned it VST.

Scottj

iu can certainly see where it helps with 420TVL fixed lens cameras ..i could have used one tonight, you hardly notice if they are focused or not ;-(

used it again today and wow'd the client....................just one camera replaced but as it compared to the others installed by a well known company here it made them look cheaper.......

it's very odd to connect this meter into a camera without any monitor and adjust it until the meter pegs and then disconnect it............and when I look at the pic I find myself trying to find a flaw in the focus vice tryig to justify that it is as good as it gets because the camera sucks.................

and I spent a few hours yesterday connecting it to the camera's at the installed locations and then at the end of the cable at the DVR. Took readings (sync, luminance, composite, colorburst, focus, ground loop)

The differences in my readings were pretty cool, in that I found that some camera's were below the specs which basically explained the obvious problems viewed on the monitor. ie. slightly washed out pic that forced me to adjust video settings to improve.

The nice thing was the ability to take readings at the camera and then at the DVR and compare them to identify any problems. Good example is I had one caera that was at specs but on the DVR end the color burts reading was in the dirt...only 2. Pic looked ok but was not perfect. I have not had time to check the cable or connectors but I will today and will let you know if I get theat reading back to specs at the DVR end.

I have NOT used it on a UTP yet, but will this week. I did take reading on a 4 camera passive link (CAT5 between 2 passive modules) that has me wondering if these passive boxes are any good as the readings coming out of hte passive connections were terrible according to the required signal levels required at the DVR. The Pics were ok, but again they were not perfect, and I am going to see were the signals are getting killed. In my opinion, if the passives are supposed to be any good the signal levels at the DVR end should NOT be so low. Why, you get what you pay fr, right Rory?

Anywho, this thing is opening a new path for me in terms of installing, maintaining, and repairing a CCTV system. I will start taking reading on the camera's BEFORE I install them and if I find a poor spec camera I'll send it back (this makes senses as the camera has to be at specs BEFORE you install) I'll then take readings at the DVR end to document the reading so that any future maintenance issues can be quiclky identified. Most liely I'll create a nice spec checklist by client so that I have it for rercord. If I have someone else do the installs the checklist will ensure that the installer does install to MY specs..it's my company right?

Overall I am impressed at what I can use it for. I thought the focus was going to be the only BIG neat thing but now I am seeing that the camera levels required for the DVR equipment to operate perfectly are a significatnt issue when completing the whole system.

For the owners/installers out there. You can use this to set a standard for your installs. It will only reflect on the quality we all want to provide.

I'll get back to ya'll on the UTP thing. The passive signal loss is my concern right now.

jsut finished using it to troubleshoot a camera here. Pic developed a weak Ground Loop type wave in it and I took readings at the DVR.........basically the reading sucked. Went to the camera and the readings were good. Retipped the BNC at the camera and the problem disappeared, readings at the DVR were also good.

Complaints for the CM-2;

- The manual states you can put the meter inline or use a 75ohm terminator. For the money spent, it should have come with the terminator. And don't buy the terminator from the OEM as they wanted $30 for the "calibrated" 75 ohm terminator. I got one from allelectronics for a couple bucks. CM-2 may sell one to you but I had no problems with the cheapoooooo. I'm surprised they don't have a "calibrated" cable set to go with the "calibrated" terminator........seems only right?

- Meter needs a field strap or harness. I wrap the main cable around my neck (save all comments) to make sure it does not slip and break.and I alomost dropped it on my first use and I snatched it buy the cables just before it hit the ground......saved it! Anyway, it's obvious who made it never used it in the field.

- the meter has a automatic shut-off cycle that is completly to short. Again, the ones who designed it was not on a ladder when he timmed it. It needs to either be extended or needs to be associated with the function knob so that if you are using it whe cycle is reset each time you change modes. It's a total pain to keep punching the "on" button as it will shut off just as your nearing your max reading while focusing.......

- Ground Loop measurement........it has a ground loop measurement that requires you to connect a wire to the BNC shell. The connecting "spot" on the CM-2 requires some type of plug I have yet to figure out is. Guess I'll call them and ask hom much this "wire/plug is as I am currently just using extrat wire to do the deed.not very professional and most likely not correct either. BUT, the measurement works great! And again, it should have come with a wire and clip type cable that allows you to connect quickly.

Overall the CM-2 is great in my book. The designers have a great product in terms of value but need to work on the products actual application/accessories required to perform it's intended job.

Now, if I can just figure out how to have them put this thing in a wrist mount type thingie, like a dives gauge..............that would be cool.

i ordered one on tuesday. They said their was a 7-10 day delay! Oh well after that delay they are going to overnight it. Cant wait to get it in. I love toys,

i ordered one on tuesday. They said their was a 7-10 day delay! Oh well after that delay they are going to overnight it. Cant wait to get it in. I love toys,

$??