shdes

12 volts battery for wireless mini ip cam

Hi,

What kind of smallest 12 volts battery is there available to power a wireless mini ip cam that can be hidden anywhere?

Do I have to get normal 9 volts battery plus 3 AA 1.5 volts battery and series them to form 12 volts? Lead rechargeable batteries would be too big. Is there commercially available rechargeable 12 volts battery?

Ask yourself first what working time do I want for that mini IP cam?

The smallest battery is no battery at all, which will give you 0 minutes working time . From that on, you would need to know what is the minimum working time you expect, and given the mA that your camera uses (which you will have to check) see what is the minimum battery you can use.

Running different battery types in series can be tricky, as the current will be limited by the battery with the highest internal resistance, but it's easy enough to test. You won't get a lot of current out of a setup like that.

That said, most 9V batteries contain 6 1.5V AAAA batteries, so you can probably do it with no problem.

http://www.instructables.com/id/how-to-open-a-9v-battery/

A 9V battery typically can supply around 500mA, for 4.5W, which is enough to run many cams. It will only last an hour or less, depending on exactly what brand and type you buy.

You'd be better off with a set of 6 AA batteries in a holder - more current, more run time, not much bigger. A good quality set of AAs will run the same 500 mA (6W) for more like 2-3 hours, depending on how low the voltage can get and still operate the cam.

Here's the smallest 12V battery I know of - the A23. Not much current capability, and probably not enough to run your cam for long, if at all:

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-A23-Battery-12-Volt/dp/B00004YK10/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432929615&sr=8-1

I don't think they're available rechargeable, but who knows these days?

If you want anything more than couple of hours, you'll need a motorcycle style lead acid battery.

Running different battery types in series can be tricky, as the current will be limited by the battery with the highest internal resistance, but it's easy enough to test. You won't get a lot of current out of a setup like that.

That said, most 9V batteries contain 6 1.5V AAAA batteries, so you can probably do it with no problem.

A 9V battery typically can supply around 500mA, for 4.5W, which is enough to run many cams. It will only last an hour or less, depending on exactly what brand and type you buy.

You'd be better off with a set of 6 AA batteries in a holder - more current, more run time, not much bigger. A good quality set of AAs will run the same 500 mA (6W) for more like 2-3 hours.

12 Volt battery from cordless Drill may be

Good point - that's probably the best bet for good power capacity and easy charging, though starting to get bigger.

14.4V is more common than 12V for power tools, and I bet most cams would run fine on it. There's some risk you'd burn it up, but may be worth a try...

You'd be better off with a set of 6 AA batteries in a holder - more current, more run time, not much bigger. A good quality set of AAs will run the same 500 mA (6W) for more like 2-3 hours, depending on how low the voltage can get and still operate the cam.

Here's the smallest 12V battery I know of - the A23. Not much current capability, and probably not enough to run your cam for long, if at all:

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-A23-Battery-12-Volt/dp/B00004YK10/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432929615&sr=8-1

I don't think they're available rechargeable, but who knows these days?

If you want anything more than couple of hours, you'll need a motorcycle style lead acid battery.

For a typical ip bullet camera standard size (say 5 watts consumption).. how many hours can a motorcycle style lead acid researchable battery last and how is this computed? Thanks.

how many hours can a motorcycle style lead acid researchable battery last and how is this computed? Thanks.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+many+hours+can+a+motorcycle+style+lead+acid+researchable+battery+last+and+how+is+this+computed

I mean how to compute a bullet camera power usage if powered by such researchable lead battery. For instance, the bullet camera is 5 watts.. does it consume 5 watts for one sec, one minute or one hour? Anyone?

Hi,

What kind of smallest 12 volts battery is there available to power a wireless mini ip cam that can be hidden anywhere?

Do I have to get normal 9 volts battery plus 3 AA 1.5 volts battery and series them to form 12 volts? Lead rechargeable batteries would be too big. Is there commercially available rechargeable 12 volts battery?

Been using this for a few years, if you get the higher capacity will last 24hours if your IPC does not use much power.

272333_1.jpg

I mean how to compute a bullet camera power usage if powered by such researchable lead battery. For instance, the bullet camera is 5 watts.. does it consume 5 watts for one sec, one minute or one hour? Anyone?

If a camera uses 5W, it does that as long as it's on, so 1 hour of operation would be 5W-hr.

Battery capacity is rated in amp-hours. 5W at 12V uses 0.4A (5/12=0.42).

A battery rated at 7Ah will supply 0.4A for 17.5 hours (7/0.4 = 17.5).

It's a little more complicated than that in real life, as the voltage drops steadily during that time, so you'd need to test it to be sure, but that's the ballpark answer.

A 5 watt device will draw 5 watts when it is working. All the time.

The first thing you need to do is work out how long you need the battery to power it for.