bobbyo

How do you turn off Geovision Watchdog reboot in version 8.

Hello,

Sorry to ask this question if a solution was already posted. I tried a search and could not find an answer.

How do you turn off the automatic reboot when there is a video loss?

Thanks for any help and if there is a posting on this can you direct me to it.

havent used 8.0 sorry ... .

but id start by disabling any channels that dont have any cameras connected to them.

Yes, I will disable any channels not being used. My concern is I am planning on upgrading a large club here to 2 Geovision 16 channel systems and I am worried they will start rebooting whenever a camera losses power. Power loss to cameras has happened in the past and I think they will freak out.

Thanks

In older versions the geohealth.ini file located in the windows directory had a line "usesoftwatchdog=1", if I recall correctly changing the 1 to a 0 would disable the automatic reboot. I don't know if this applies to version 8 but you could try it.

Doug L

Hello,

Sorry to ask this question if a solution was already posted. I tried a search and could not find an answer.

In older versions the geohealth.ini file located in the windows directory had a line "usesoftwatchdog=1", if I recall correctly changing the 1 to a 0 would disable the automatic reboot. I don't know if this applies to version 8 but you could try it.

Doug L

Hello,

I just tested this option (UseSoftWatchDog=) in 7.0 and 8.0 Geo software. This option is available in both versions in C:\WINDOWS\GeoHealth.ini file and set to =1 by default. It works the same for both versions.

If you change this option to =0 when GV system is running, then GV system will still reboot and when starting up again, it will change this option back to =1. The same if you change it when GV system is not running: it will change this option back to =1 when starting up.

I tried to put Read-Only attribute to this file, then GV system didn't change this option back to default =1. Still, system rebooted. Funny

Then, I tried renaming this file: C:\GV800\DMHealthSvr.exe to some other name (e.g. DMHealthSvr.bak). GV system rebooted as usual, but didn't startup again automatically...

No solution till now. Sent a question to Geo support. Any other ideas?

Doug L

Hello,

I just tested this option (UseSoftWatchDog=) in 7.0 and 8.0 Geo software. This option is available in both versions in C:\WINDOWS\GeoHealth.ini file and set to =1 by default. It works the same for both versions.

If you change this option to =0 when GV system is running, then GV system will still reboot and when starting up again, it will change this option back to =1. The same if you change it when GV system is not running: it will change this option back to =1 when starting up.

I tried to put Read-Only attribute to this file, then GV system didn't change this option back to default =1. Still, system rebooted. Funny

Then, I tried renaming this file: C:\GV800\DMHealthSvr.exe to some other name (e.g. DMHealthSvr.bak). GV system rebooted as usual, but didn't startup again automatically...

No solution till now. Sent a question to Geo support. Any other ideas?

Same here, doesnt work with 8.0. Didnt test with 7.0.

There is an option in the main GV software on version 8.1, which should be out soon.

Where is this option in 8.1 version? I cannot find it

Geo support response:

"The main purpose of software watchdog is to protect your system and keep running DVR system without error, we thought it is not a good idea to disable this function.

However, at version 8.1, you may disable this function as you wish, but you can't disable it before version 8.1."

Whats causing the video loss?

My customer has to face many power failures, even during usual workday. This problem will soon be repaired, but for now he needs a solution for his GV system (UPS) to hold on, even when his cameras are down for few minutes.

Just put the distributed PS on the UPS too, then the PC will go down first.

I personally also put the networking gear on the UPS too.

My version of Geovision is 6.x. I tried the modifying the .ini file.To prevent it from changing I disabled permissions for writing to the file for all users on the computer. After starting Geovision it could not change the value and the watchdog did not start. All other features work just fine.

I hope this will help you.

I also find the watchdog very frustrating and useless. Restarting the program usually does not help getting image from the camera. The camera is the thing that have to be restarted by switching off and back on instead.

To see the advanced security tab on file properties panel, turn off "simple sharing" in explorer, Tools/Folder options, View.