cctvexpert

Vendoma vs. Geovision and the Who's Who in the Biz

Oz, that wasn't a very hearty and warm reply that one would expect from you, especially from the friendly environs of Australia. Everyone here should be entitled to post their opinions. It isn't like we have Robert Bass here pumping his lame web site every post trying to lure suckers into buying from him. Disagreements on the merits of the different boards and software are always going to be present since I think we have figured out by now that there isn't one superboard/software combination otherwise we'd all be worshipping it like a sacred cow. Truthfully I don't like the Geovision or the Chance I in its many variations all that much. When it comes to PC boards I like the Digi-It, which is never even discussed here. Let's accept a wide variety of comments on all the areas we deal in so we can all learn a little more from everyone's experience. Now that I'm done with my soap box, I just want to add that "GEOVISION GUI SUCKS BIG TIME"

i second that, seems all asian GUIs look the same with cheesy icons and graphics too.

I have to admit that I did over step the bounds, but I have a personal hate for Vendoma, that stretches back a long way, So many US companies lie and pretend to be the manfactorer of products that they are not and so often I meet people who say they have nothing to do with such a company and infact they work either directly with them or for them.

The reasons I do not like Vendoma is because I was invited to chat the the CEO but then found him trying to connect to my BOX!!! How pissed was I and then on top of that he resolved my I.P just to find out who I was, not by asking politely, pretty darn rude.

Secondly they lied about their products and when I said it was Chance-I they said they wrote the software for them,,, they don't, then they manufactured the cards as well..More lies. I admit I went heavy handed but I still do think that he works for them, he was suttley trying to push their product without being honest about it.

I am also very tired of having my dealers here try to buy of US companies because they state they have 300 staff only to find out they dont and then I am left with the support of the product, the problem is I cant ask someone if this is the card they bought from me or from US when they have already bought this product from me before, I just have to fix it at my expense.

To anyone who thought I was rude...you were right and I apologise whole hartedly for everything that I have said...excepting that he works for them.

I can be a bit full on but I am sick of the US dealers and their selling morals,(present company excepted) thats why i now will do it, I will do to them what they do to me...They state they will get better support in the US ..swear they can beat my prices, say they are huge and tell them they think we are not Legit!! I have had enough!

I admit CCTV does not deserve it but anyone will tell you in this forum that I have helped many many people not just in here either, through my email that is listed...and when someone comes in that I know is praising a company that is full of crap and saying my product line is full of crap..without stating any reasons or examples I bite...big time..

Maybe I should stay away from this forum.. I am very productive indeed, I only post in at night when I go home or when I am on leave and I try to help where possible, however I can be a bit opinionated and I do see his point about scaring people off.

My apologies

Truth Lies and Lies and truth. Ok so you two had your pissing match, and tell you the truth having a hard core disscussion is good for the board.Expressing ones opinion weather we agree or not. But I have One important question and I think everyone would like to know

Is Vendoma product Good or Bad ?? Scale of 1 thru 10 where does it rate

Has anyone here used their product

All opinions accepted :lol:

tk

For what it is worth, I have to say that the Chance-I (manufactorer) same as Vendoma is not bad at all really, a lot of people have switched from Geo to Chance-I but mainly because geo has been so slagged off on, without proof, There are many limitations with the Chance-I software last time a I checked but as far as I can see Geo gets a 8 out of 10 for software and a 3 out of 10 for business management and marketing.

Vendoma in my opinion/Chance-I is about a 6 out of 10 for sofware, the GUI is really kinda cool and for management and marketing it gets about a 5.

We tried the Chance-I card.. the major plus is they release Beta's for testing, sure I get them from Geo but you dont have to buy much to get it from them, I heard they were looking at SDK options and they have a nice GUI, all runs fairly smooth, there were a few interlacing problems, but patching them worked fine, so I assumed by now they would have fixed that.

Long story Short.. Chance-I/ Vendoma arent a bad board at all really but the siftwrae is not up to Geo's standard especially the networking and the log program, they fall down on features but at least the card is satble and theya re a few dollars cheaper to import than Geo.

My Opinion

From a features point of view I'd rate the Geovision at an 8. From an ease of use point of view, especially an end user who is not computer literate around a 3. From a GUI point of view also a 3. The Chance I would rate features around 5, ease of use 8, GUI 7. I think you really have to decide whether your end user base is going to want to put up with the more complicated feature set of the Geovision vs the relative ease of use on the Chance I. The Chance I video quality is very good, has good compression and the new Chance I cards are going to be hardware compression instead of software compression which should even be better. I personally would rather put a Chance I GUI into a customer's hands since it will mean fewer call backs for training and questions. Chance I has nice features such as search by motion, video timeline on playback, time and event recording, etc. The remote GUI looks identical to the local which is also good since once a customer understands how to use the DVR you dont' have to train him again on the remote. I think it boils down to whether your customers are going to want a DVR chock full of features but higher learning curve or something simpler and easier to use. Picture quality on both is pretty good.

Just curious as to when the new Chance-I cards are going to be released? Do you have a hyperlink?

Will the new cards use the same exact software as the old ones or are they going to release new software with the new cards?

Also, when is Geovision going to be releasing something new? Or did the GV900/1000 just get released sometime in the past year or so?

I got an email from Technovision, another Chance I reseller that the new cards are coming out soon. Here is a link to Technovision. I'm not sure if or how the software will change. You might want to go on their site and check with them on the changes and also get some pricing.

www.technovisioncctv.com

1. Interesting by the way that you spoke with the CEO and "he" whatever. The CEO is a woman so that is strike one and she has no idea who you are.

2. As far as you talking to the CTO who didnt know what you claim 878 was or whatever, well I spoke with him today for the first time and that was only after making an appointment to speak with him with his assistant and he politely said he has no clue who the heck you are and does not have time to chat on the company chats and support lines.

3. As far as who and what Vendoma is he giggled and for the most part was not interested even in justifying your remarks with a response other then to say, look at who our customers are which is over 50% government and that speaks for itself. He was actually very polite about everything and again did not want to get into discussions about BS and was interested in discussing the product if I had any concerns, which I have none so far.

FYI, how you can even compare GVision to anybody has to be a joke. You obviously are a cheerleader for them, when everyone I know who has ever used them has nothing but horror stories with everything from:

. having to reboot the system on a regular basis

. recorded images being poor

. cameras losing signal

. object tracking doesnt function right

. no version control

. zero customer support

. the list goes on and on

And you can compare this to a company that as a whole so far I have never heard a bad word about their product. Whether you say it is Chance-i or not well I will leave that alone, since you seem to know what is possible with a GUI and my degrees and experience in writing code for 25+ years seem to tell me otherwise. Considering I have seen the SDK for Chance-i which again would not give you the proper controls. So I won't even debate with you since its a moot issue.

I will not argue with you anymore because it is pointless. We are here to try to advance and make progress and share. Attempting to bash a company that I see has done nothing negative and you seem to trash only tells me you have ulterior motives.

As one person here intelligently asked who cares how does the product work. You have had no experience with their product yet chose to comment. When you try it then you can make intelligent statements.

I know enough to know when I don't know and just listen. People who think they know everything are the ones who never learn because they think they know all.

Like I said before how you compare "rocket scientists" with Taiwanese trading companies is beyond the imagination.

Getting back to answering other question about latest Chance-i version it is going to be a long ways off as far as debugging. MPEG4 is not stable. In general none of the MPEG4v2 is stable. There are several mosaic issues. Part 10 of 264 addresses this issue but is way off in the future. The only stable application for this is the new conditional wavelet.

MPEG4v2 in addition to having mosaic issues even on the hardware side you have to remember that to get true full frame rate there are issues. For full D1 you can only get 2 channels. You can go to 4 channels on half D1 but same problems when blowing up to full screen.

You have to remember that MPEG2 has been around for a decade now and only the last couple of years have seen stability. MPEG4 has a way to go and because the technology is "projecting" it will always be a problem with fast moving objects that will be blurred.

We have tested several of the h.264 part 2 and part 10 against MPEG2 and compared the encoding efficiencies. We did statistical multiplexing to dynamically distribute the bandwidth and inspect picture quality.

What we found was as follows: The MPEG4v2 was not in the same league as the MPEG4v10 but the v10 required intense processing power. Mosaic was and is an issue on the MPEG4v2. We used images of sporting events. The pictures on the v2 were blurred.

In short and not to go into an entire white paper the MPEG4v2 has a long way to go before becoming commercially viable if ever. The next stop may be leapfroggin to other platforms. My belief is the MPEG2 is going to be around for a while. the MPEG4 will be out there because the market wants it but the stability issues will be of concern. For the casual user it is acceptable but for mission critical security its a major problem. A thief running from the scene of a robbery cannot be visually detected.

FYI, you should also get your facts straight and if Aventura Technologies is kind enough to give you a tour then speak your piece.

Interesting how they would even discuss anything with you without signing an NDA also, since this was the first thing they asked when speaking with me.

If you know anything about government business many of the agencies they sell to would not deal with you unless you have 100% control of the product and can put the source code in escrow in case you go out of business. Government agencies cannot take any chances and in many cases will not deal with products under foreign control.

In addition, they would not even entertain doing business with you in the first place if they had concerns about the "owner" of the product and the longevity and ability of the company to support it.

I don't want to defend any company I just want to make sure that you don't go around talking about anyone's products without being educated. So this is not about Vendoma specifically. Every one is entitled to speak their mind and certainly you can speak yours and you have. It is for reasons like this as I have previously stated that forums like this never flourish. Because some choose to take over and chase others away through various means some of which are specifically intentiional.

I don't want to embarass anyone any more so if any one would like to constructively discuss anything you can email me and i will do the same in kind.

There are a couple of companies in China that are making strides on the h.264 if anyone is interested. The products are good but the software is incredibly weak. HIKVision and ILDVR. They both have a way to go but are in the right direction. They are working on MPEG4v2. Boards are also ridiculously expensive.

Look for the conditional wavelet. We have experimented with them and so far so good but its just too early to make positive remarks and will probably not be there for several months.

I would have to believe that the Vendoma DVR, or at least the Version 4.0 software is Chance I. I just downloaded the manual for the DVR and compared it to the manual I have on Chance I, and on Flashback which is also Chance I, and on Technovision and all of them have the exact same setup GUI's. Where you set the camera fps, main setup, motion setup, etc. they all are identical. All of the above companies have altered the main viewing GUI and playback GUI but none of them bothered to change the setup GUI's. So Aventura seems to be using the Chance I boards and software and customizing the main GUI's. All the functions are also the same. I didn't see any features on the Aventura that weren't on the other models. I guess you'd have to download the various manuals yourself to confirm what I'm seeing.

For #1......... I have no reason to lie, maybe it was the janitor or one of the other 299 staff that they have.. everyone knows here that I am not a liar so I do not appreciate you calling me one and I would not do it again.

That is what was typed to me on the other end of the chat..oh how I wish I had taken screen shots for real I would have love to have posted them here to show you.

As for your lists of Geo faults

. having to reboot the system on a regular basis

I have not come accross this fault except for 1 problem in 1 version where they could not find keypro.. yes it was a problem but was fixed very quickly.

. recorded images being poor

Thats Crap, there is very little difference between the two systems in this regard and in my opnion it is better looking on the Geo

. cameras losing signal

Maybe you should check your cables Mr CCTV expert as I have not seen this issue yet in all the systems that we have sold.

. object tracking doesnt function right

To be honest never used this feature as it is already built into most of the PTZ devices that we sell so we do not use it... I have seen a demo of it working and seemed to be ok, but it is a new feature so maybe you are correct, however I do doubt it. Does Chance-I have this feature?

. no version control

Not sure what you mean, if you mean that you need to use the same remote software for each version, then yes you are correct but if that is the best you can come up with then I think you are really clutching at straws.. I will now download the latest Chance-I software and pick it to crap as well.

. zero customer support

Customer support is by the bucket load, you arent supposed to get it from Geo anyway dealers should know their stuff

. the list goes on and on

Bring the list on.. pretty short list mate.. wait to you see the one on Chance-I

As for me being a cheerleader for them.. I hate them with a passion, I hate the way they market the product and that is well documented in these forums, however they are the best DVR card for price on the market and they **** all over Chance-I/Vendoma.. I wish they didn't but they do.. more users in this forum use them compared to any other product..why do you think that is huh?

my degrees and experience in writing code for 25+ years seem to tell me otherwise.

I never said that the program had not been changed ...only said that they didnt do it...would you like me to email our supplier of Chance-I to verify this??

My guess is that they have a Beta that no one else has?

Like I said before how you compare "rocket scientists" with Taiwanese trading companies is beyond the imagination.

Once again way off the mark.... Geovision writes its own software which is more than I can say for Vendoma It does not matter how they list and you too bashed a company.. namely Geovision.

The problem of blurry pictures that you speak of is issues with Video Interlacing and on some DVR units this has not been done by a software interlace, therefore larger fast moving images have a tearing affect Geovision actually adjusts theres through software interlacing and by applying rendering to the image.. Not all DVR's are created with this feature.. However I agree Mpeg4 has a long way to go yet and Geovision has released its own version which works even better but such is the nature of Mpeg4 capture on all products at this satge that the Tearing still occurs but can be viewed and sampled after video de interlacing and rendering.

I agree that hardware on board chips will fix this problem especially now that the new PCI bus is about to be released later this month but yes they are not stable at fast speeds.

If you know anything about government business many of the agencies they sell to would not deal with you unless you have 100% control of the product and can put the source code in escrow in case you go out of business. Government agencies cannot take any chances and in many cases will not deal with products under foreign control.

I do not agree with this statement, however it is true to say that Government agencies actually do prefer to deal with manufactorers of products for better support but to say that they will only deal with manufactorers is not accurate or have I not being doing business already with many Government agencies.. Why would Geovision be in your CIA headquarters (according to Geo) and several Government airports if this was the case. Besides Vendoma does not write the software, Chance-I do so go figure.

It is for reasons like this as I have previously stated that forums like this never flourish.

Once again I dissagree, as posted below arguments are good for forums, however I went a bit too far.. It seems someone who posted earlier has the same opinion that it is good for a forum, as for this forum not flourishing, I have seen a load of new registrations every day and there were only about 8 of us at the start so once again I believe you are wrong.. I am not a know it all I just know a lot about DVR and having tested both systems I think I can safely make an educted statement about both products.

Because some choose to take over and chase others away through various means some of which are specifically intentiional.

Point taken and a valid one... however nothing was intentionally done to make you leave.. your still here aren't you... Yes I went too far and if you look through the posts on here, you will see that I have helped many people and encouraged many to join the forum, I do not rule this forum, each post is intended to educate.. but Vendoma calimed to me to make the cards and write the software and I feel it important to point out the obvious truth.

I have no ill feeling toward you and I apologise for the way I replied to your postt, i do however think that you are wrong about Vendoma and I stand by what I said therefore I have spoken my mind...allbeit a bit too harshly once again for that I am sorry.

Geovision is heads above most DVR products, their marketing sucks and they release goods far too soon before testing (well they used to) the do more releases than any other company and I believe they are the biggest selling card world wide.. I do not like them very much but intil I find a better product we are stuck with them..Oh Yes by the way their GUI sucks..

Whoa, let's get one thing straight.

DVR_Australia is one of the most respected and knowledgeable members of this forum.

If someone here makes a mistake, or you have personal opinions about a certain person, PM directly to that person, or keep it to yourself.

The purpose of this forum is forum is for all of us to learn and research the ever changing cctv industry, we all help each other out, both dealers and end users alike.,

So please, I know that no one here is trying to start a problem, but it seems to me that is going that way, and I don't think that larry is going to appreciate his hard work and money that he has put out for this site to end up this way.

I have a log from 2 months ago. it's even quite amusing Judge for yourself...

* note what happened when I asked if they sell chance-i cards...