kdmcso8

Video Wall Help

I am intrested in designing a wall of video monitors. Let me first tell you about the beast that I am trying to get rid of. I have approximatley 18 17" monitors displaying 200 or so cameras coming from multiplexers and computers, all housed in a winsted Monster console. Unfortunatley my employer is willing to spend on equipment but space is limited.

I have looked into some flat screen monitor "walls" where all of your video, computer, etc. plug into a computer or two and the output or outputs are displayed on the "wall".

I have some flat screen I beleive TFT and they frankly look like crap compared to analog cctv monitor. Would lcd/plasma do better?

I am looking for something similar to what you would see in a traffic center, nasa, vegas etc. Big wall of video.

Can anyone suggest vendors in the U.S. East coast?

Can anyone suggest good quality monitors (flat screen thin etc.)

Can anyone suggest tips or ideas in general?

Thanks in advance

Never set up a video wall, but one thing to be wary of with plasma sets is that they can be susceptible to image burn if they display static images (which is what a lot of cctv images are most of the time).

So if you do look into plasma, looks for ones that offer a guarentee against image burn, or are specifically designed for cctv, and the manu will state they wont suffer from image burn. Apparently, from what I heard plasma sets are more likely to get image burn in the first couple of hundred hours of use, so maybe just display normal tv images for a couple of hundred hours to be on the safe side..... Certainly worth checking with the manufacturer and making it clear to them that static images will be displayed (unless of course your images are not static)

LCD over plasma for certain .. but there are other options, will see what i can dig up tomorrow.

Most of my images are sequencing, however there are certain cameras that the officers like to watch all of the time, and they will leave cameras locked on to one picture.

Why the comment "Never set up a video wall"?

All of the cameras we normally deal with at SD and interlaced, all flat panals are digital and most are HD or better. Anytime you watch SD on an HD monitor it will look like crap, if you put the SD image in perspective (a 640x480 box) it will look as good as a CRT just small.

I use a 50" plasma in my living room to watch SD TV (640x480), SD CCTV (320x240) and surf the web (~696x768).

Yes the ads on the left side of this site piss me off.

Other then that no complaints...

Now putting a 330 line camera up at 4:3 1024x768 looks bad as does the SD cable TV because half of whats on the screen is BS made up in scaling it up that far.

I wouldn't have any problems with 6 or so 50" plasmas using a PC to control whats where but my method would only work for live viewing.