Helheim

Avermedia or GeoVision?

Which is better for the money for a DVR card or which provides the best quality? The main feature I’d like is the ability to watch full D1 in real-time with audio. Recording is secondary at this point but might be useful in the future. It looks like the GV-1240 can do this right? What about the AVerDiGi Hybrid NV7000? Is the display rate specs the ones for watching in real-time?

Thanks.

the GV-1120, 1240 and 1480 do live display. I dont know Avermedia so cant comment on those.

How many cameras are you wanting to watch?

If its just one, then a low price tv card would do the job if recording is only secondary.

Course, recording is only secondary until something happens that you wish you had recorded, and spend a long time regretting the fact it wasnt....

Good question. I found that most cards Geo, Avermedia, Chance i, are real time at the local server for display. But I've been looking at recording rates and resolution and geo and aver are 30 fps only at a lower resolution 320x240. Chance i are 30 fps across the board at 704x480.

As for network viewing frame rates are only as fast as the internet of course.

Does anyone know of a manufacture with better frame rates at a high resolution?

Anyone that does hardware compression will do 30fps on all channels .. its the software compression that doesnt .. but Geo will do 120fps+ with the 1480 in D1. They also have the Hardware compression cards now, and Avermedia has them also.

Just two cameras to start with but if it works out good I'll add more.

AVerDiGi Hybrid NV7000 does hardware compression but it looks like only 60/8 or 7.5fps? If you only have two cameras can it do 60/2 or how does that work? Which GeoVision cards do hardware compression? Is the display rate listed for the Geo cards the frame rates for live viewing?

http://www.aver.com/dvr/comparison_nv.pdf

Thanks.

The 2 new Geo Cards, 2004 and 2008, they arent yet available in the US market though, supposed to be end of this month. BTW the GV800 is definately more than 30fps total record in 640x480, in 720x480 cant say. We had a thread discussing this in the Geo forum.

Cant say 100% .. never did get that part straight .. but check out this video .. this is from a GV800 with 3 cameras attached ... the jittering you see between clips is the Pre Record setting .. that comes and goes with Motion Detection.

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/video/day_quad.Avi

If it wont play in Media player, install the codec using this app.

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/geofix.asp

Does MPEG-4 (GeoVision GV-2004) or H.264 (AVerDiGi NV7000) provide better quality? It looks like depending on the computer used you can actually get more frames per second than the hardware compression cards, is this correct?

Thanks.

We carry and like both manufacturers. I think the video quality on both products are similar. I would say Geovision has more features but Avermedia software package is powerful enough for many applications.

Geo Advantages

-more software features

-more well known

-more resources dedicated to cctv

-more accessories and better documentation

Aver Advantages

-cheaper on the average

-some cards are stackable

-support for axis and sony IP Cameras

We have been a Geo distributor for years. We recently brought Avermedia on board and are very impressed with the cards and standalones. The card mentioned above is a real screamer. There New 16 channel PC based standalone is real nice as well at a great price when compared to the Geo built system.

The main reason we added them was for the ability to have both IP cameras and analog cameras on the same system. We have been waiting forever for Geo to do something. And were still waiting!

yeah for now geo only supports their own video servers. They will probably support IP cameras when they have no other choice but to. Luckily there are different manufacturers that are good for different situations.

have you checked out Geo's Control Center software yet? We have it runing with 4 monitors (256 camera display). Pretty powerful stuff.

Got to play with it a week ago. Pretty cool. Would have been nice to have had it last year. Had a need for it then! Not many clients need 256 camera display but its cool to show people that we can do it.

Yeah i dont want to use the combo cards anymore, the VGA quality just isnt there .. and other issues .. is the avermedia a better choice? I know Geo has the Hardware compression cards now, but the price is really high for 16 cameras ..

We recently switched to an AVer NV6480Express card due to problems with the GV Combo card performance and quality. Application was for a small corporate office with need for high fps high quality recording. Inherently there are alot more advantages when the manufacturer actually designs their hardware and software in house.

Hey Rory

On the combo card, what issue are you experiencing in terms of VGA quality? What video card is in the machine? What motherboard are you using? Also, what are the specs of the monitor you are viewing on? Sorry for the 3rd degreee here.

hey .. 3.2Ghz P4 800FSB, Asus Radeon EAX300 PCIE, MSI Full Mobo (Intel Chipset) with PCIE and DDR2 667Mhz 512 ..

(Edit): Hanns·G JC-199D / 19" / 8ms / 700:1 / SXGA 1280 x 1024 / DVI·D / Black / LCD Monitor

Quality just isnt as clear as previous experiences with the GV800 on cheaper mobos and 64MB AGP cheap video cards .. its fine on playback and also on the DSP out though. Cant use the DSP feature in the software though as then the quality drops considerably due to the Direct Draw overlay being disabled on the VGA when the DSP feature is enabled .. but im just using the output to clone the video to the TV so no issues there.

Edited by Guest

I have tested, used and sold both products, mind you some time ago, all software compression cards struggle becasue of the bus speeds availale, therefore you are limited to how mnay cameras can have high resolutions.

I have used the Geo since it first started out, good lord that was a long time ago th ol Gv100 and Gv200's and before that even when they OEM'd it, Geo are a huge company now and FINALLY have seemed to overcome the QA headaches that they used to haev when releasing software (they used to release it far to early.

I am not sure but I think Aver used to make the cards for Geovision, they have a solid product but they are not fuly devoted to it like Geovision is, but being a true manufactorer you can rely on a cheaper price...my view is that the Geovision has too many features to be compared with Aver and it has advanced past the Aver product

The new Aver 6480 PCI express card runs 480/480fps at 640X480 with software compression. Geo doesn't do that. Also I found out that to get 720X480 Geo Stretches a 640X480 image. Aver has a true D1 720X480. I too sell a ton of Geo everyday but when I see Avermedia specs and have tested most products it really makes one think. Whats more important to the user? Quality of video or quanity of features!

Yeah, I mean quality of video has to be the first spec to compare. Good points. Avermedia is a hardware manufacturer and video board manufacturer so there emphasis is on capturing and compressing the best video quality.

Geovision is ahead on the software and marketing side, but they are not ahead on the video quality side.

I should say that if the video quality is very close, it is not to have some specif features especially if you will use them regulary.

Aver also has free CMS3000 basic that let you connect 16 DVRs 256 Cameras for free and you can also purchase adv. version which will let you connect 1000 DVRs... I have used both Geo and Aver and most feature specailly the once that matter are in Aver. Aver's PCI Express DVR are awsome and you can have all channels on 640x480 and from what I found that Goe's D1 on all 16 channels are not tru D1 like Aver's Goe just Stretches 640x480 image... On PCI express card you can also get multi view on RCA out port... From last two years Aver is devoting a lot more resources and is fully committed to the security site of the company.