VJD

Field Monitor/Tester

be careful of the "focus" feature as it may only be a visual on the video screen and not a measured function like the CM2. And, most video monitors are hard to use outdoors due to sunlight issues on that screen.

I use the CM2 witha pair of video goggles. I guess I could use a PTZ controller at the camera but not at 500 plus.

I'd like to see the CM2 improved to have;

- a ladder minded construction. Current model was built by a bench tech and not a field tech. The goggles I use allow me to manuever the CM2 but I'd like to be able to be hands free.CM2 is not hands free or even close. I have to wrap the test cable (not a great idea but it works) aroundf my neck so that I can hang the CM2...or the CM2 becomes a easily dropped toy.

- auto shut off is too short. when you are in the middle of an adjustment it can and does shut off. then you need to push that stupid button again, start over.

- PTZ control

- test pattren generator

But the CM2 works great. I was not happy with one salesperson at CM2 because when I called to recommend improvements he basically gaffed me off because he was "selling" and not interested in improving it....that was over a year ago and I hope that "they" have changed that attitude as the world is not too far behind them.Rapor will improve the focus feature so that it is human proof.

I have used this device because we offer it to our dealers, and I had installed some extra cameras around our building.

Only complaint that I have is that it is too bulky. ( though it does have neck strap )

But for purposes of using it as a tool to set the camera up in its position with out having to go up and down the ladder a million times or having two people is great.

The battery on it is decent just dont leave it in a really hot vehicle.

I would suggest an extra battery pack that could power the camera while setting the camera view to the desired state.

Great for testing power and PTZ controls, also tests pins on Cat5

Its a great tool for the installer that does various types of installs.

Ideal has come out with their version of the same thing. Our suplier said the IDEAL branded one would be avaliable Feb 15 but it appears to have a higher price than the unit described.

I just got one from the office yesterday, and I'm the official test guinea pig. So far, it seems pretty cool. It is a bit bulky for a meter, but it's a great size for a viewfinder. The veiwfinder feature works no matter what mode the system is in. If you have a camera hooked up and you're in the multimeter mode, it will still show the picture. It also puts whatever you see on the little screen out of the video out, so you can watch your meter on a monitor (don't know what good either of those will do, but it's neat!). The batteries seem slow to charge (the ones that come with it). I had it plugged in for 12-14 hours the first night, and the batteries were barely charged (YES the switch is in the correct position). I haven't tried the ptz protocol tester yet, nor have I had much chance to test the meter functions, and at $600 I'm still too cautious with it to treat it like my little meter. It came with leads, a short bnc cable, car charger, plug in charger, UTP end terminator, neckstap and batteries. It doesn't come with any kind of padded carry case, which is my next mission.

If it works as well as it claims, it will replace a normal meter, a viewfinder, and a spare joystick or two that I carry to test ptz with at the camera pole. We'll have to see