osity

Monitoring through a window gives me an indoor reflection :(

I have a camera setup indoors pointing outdoors through a window. The picture is great during the day. Although, at night, I get the reflection on the window of the inside of the store showing up on the camera image.

The only way I have found to get rid of it is to turn off all the indoor lights.

I didnt want to do this as i cant see much in the dark with all the other cams this way.

Is there a method to prevent the cam from picking up the reflection off the window at night?

...and yes, that is a woman going through our left over garbage (papers) on the ground!

noreflection.jpg.5a3008e1513f6ee24596e699d1098ce1.jpg

reflection.jpg.ee84d97f86c2894daeffbffda46db428.jpg

I am working on something like this myself.

I am supposed to be building a bid for a store thats on an old mainstreet. The storefont is only about 15-20' wide and has a BS wooden awning across the entire front. The awning is only about 10' up and the whole thing is 100 year old rock structure.

Basically I am going to try and build a housing that butts right up to the glass and seals out all the surrounding light.

CollinR, just for the heck of it, get a piece of non reflecting glass that’s used for picture frames from the local hardware -- 8X10 or something. Maybe you could fasten it to the window by putting a bead of clear adhesive type silicone around the outer edge of the new glass. If the window has smaller pains, you could just replace the pain of glass where the camera is. Keep in mind that the non reflecting surface is only on one side of the glass which should obviously face towards the camera. As you most likely will, I would also do a little experimenting before trying this on site. Just an idea that may turn out worthwhile.

Thats a damn good idea! The shop windows are actualy polycarbonate, he has replaced them 3 times last year.

Get this, it's a western wear shop. They are swiping hats and stuff.

I would bet it will work with the camera viewing through one piece of non reflecting glass. However, I’m not sure how it will effect the camera when looking through two pieces of glass stuck together. I know you understand. I just think it something worth testing.

If you look at the non reflecting glass, you will see that one side is not frosted, but, a bit stippled. That stippling may have some effect on the picture. I don’t know? Again, something I think is worth testing.

The reason there's a reflection is because of the light on the same side of the glass as the camera. A very ugly way would be to put some thick dark material around the lens and connect the other end to the glass (think of the light cover used on old time film cameras. It would be easier if the area to cover wasn't so large, but it might work. Another idea would be to try a piece of polarized glass covering the lens. They're used by fishermen to see through the glare (which is just reflected sunlight) on the water.

Easier method (or best) would be to drill a hole out and mount the camera outside ..

a couple of problems: from your photos, the camera is looking through the polycarbonate at a very steep angle.. it's doubtful that adding a non-reflective glass surface to the interior is going to help much in this situation. i would try shielding the camera and window with a dark curtain or even cardboard and tape, also, that neon "open" sign needs to go away...

You could try placing a camera polarizing filter in front of your lens. You then rotate the filter until the reflection disappears. Then mount the polarizer in that position. Problem is, the polarizer will cut down on your light.