cctvman

Premade Cables vs. Non-premade cable

Hello All,

I almost feel like a complete fake for asking this question but the grim fate of low profitability seems to be rearing its ugly head. I have been in the CCTV industry for approx 5 years, I have done installations, sales and technical support which is why it makes it that much difficult to ask this question.

What is the real benefit to non-premade cables? I have always used them myself, but mainly due to convention, because that is what I think real CCTV pros would use. But many of my competitors are using these premade cables in varying lengths, and due to the low prices of these cables, and the less labour incurred for installation due to the fact that the connections are already on, I am being forced to consider its true value. I realize that these premade cables are RCA cables and most wouldnt even consider mentioning these in the same sentence as siamese cables or the other industry standards but I have to ask the question. I have taken the liberty of starting the argument, please feel free to add info as you see fit.

Premade:

Economical

Non-weatherproof

Non-repairable if broken?

Less Flexibility in lengths

Non-Premade:

These can be weatherproof if option is selected

Repairable if broken

Flexibility in length

I would appreciate any input, thanks.

CCTVMAN

Are you sure premade is non repairable? I have a few months experience in this stuff and I dont see why you cant just snip and add a new connector etc. RG59 should be RG59 no matter where you cut it.

Are you also sure that they are cheaper premade? I would doubt that very much as they usually have 2 connectors on them, increasing the price. Bulk stuff has always been cheaper from what I see, although I could be wrong.

Its not that much more economical if you think about it, I guess it depends on what your charging.

My retail price of premade 50' Cables: $25

Retail Price of non-premade is:

50' Cable @ $0.40/ft: $20

Twist On BNC $1.50/each: $3.00

2.1mm Pigtail: $3.00

Total: $26.00

The difference is only $1. But the ease of install is the biggest reason to use non-premade. If your running cable through holes, into outdoor housings, or through conduit, the pre-made stuff is hard to use!

Huge difference in cost down here.

I can buy premade locally retail for $25 for 150' Video/power cable.

This is not RG59 though, it is simply RCA type. Comes with RCA-BNC Adapters.

I buy 250' RG59/18AWG Siamese for $186 .. then add the connectors at $2.50 each.

Simply the difference is in the quality of the video, if using low quality cameras (cheap budget cameras for example) there is not a noticable difference, but if you are using high quality cameras, best to always use high quality cable, such as RG59.

This may sound like an even stupider question, but you're and installer? and you pay retail? You dont get any wholesale pricing? If you compare it this way yes, i suppose their comparable. But I don'y pay retail, do you? do most installers?

CCTVMAN

Its not that much more economical if you think about it, I guess it depends on what your charging.

My retail price of premade 50' Cables: $25

Retail Price of non-premade is:

50' Cable @ $0.40/ft: $20

Twist On BNC $1.50/each: $3.00

2.1mm Pigtail: $3.00

Total: $26.00

Yes, Im refering to the RCA premade cables. I just wanted to check with you, from your experieince these cant be considered weatherproof or used outside correct?

CCTVMAN

Huge difference in cost down here.

I can buy premade locally retail for $25 for 150' Video/power cable.

This is not RG59 though, it is simply RCA type. Comes with RCA-BNC Adapters.

I buy 250' RG59/18AWG Siamese for $186 .. then add the connectors at $2.50 each.

Simply the difference is in the quality of the video, if using low quality cameras (cheap budget cameras for example) there is not a noticable difference, but if you are using high quality cameras, best to always use high quality cable, such as RG59.

premade cables do not have the quality shielding and overall transmission of signals. They are not as durable and in my own personal opinion is used by amatuers or what we call diy.

I also had a question, you said "I almost feel like a complete fake for asking this question but the grim fate of low profitability seems to be rearing its ugly head."

exactly what about the jobs you are doing that is causing you low profitability?

If the profitability of your company is so low that the cabling is a defining factor of the profit your getting then something is not right.

If you dont want to discuss that in the open forum then we can discuss it in the dealer.

Or feel free to pm me and I will be glad to discuss that with you in private. The difference in cost of premade and made cabling is so small that it should not even be an issue.

Forbes magazine last year reported that the two most profitable industries to be in right now are

1: financial consulting

2: surveillance/security

That shows you how much Forbes knows

I thought politricks was the most profitable industry ..

the average company is installing 148 systems a year.

average price per system is 11,250.

average profit margin per isntall is 39%

so profiting 4,387 per install

so average compnay will profit 649,276 gross annually

i dont know. It seems pretty profitable for me so far. I cant complain.

Is the premade cable you are using actually rg59 as the video cable? Where I am from I am accumstomed to it being an RCA type cable.

CCTVMAN

Are you sure premade is non repairable? I have a few months experience in this stuff and I dont see why you cant just snip and add a new connector etc. RG59 should be RG59 no matter where you cut it.

Are you also sure that they are cheaper premade? I would doubt that very much as they usually have 2 connectors on them, increasing the price. Bulk stuff has always been cheaper from what I see, although I could be wrong.

Hi J,

Where did you get these stats? Would your company be a close to this average?

CCTVMAN

the average company is installing 148 systems a year.

average price per system is 11,250.

average profit margin per isntall is 39%

so profiting 4,387 per install

so average compnay will profit 649,276 gross annually

i dont know. It seems pretty profitable for me so far. I cant complain.

Big reason we make everything ourselves is as someone said pulling through conduit etc. You damage the end you have to install one anyway.

Another big issue is if the job calls for Plenum cable. I have not seen premade in plenum. Almost all our school jobs are Plenum. It is also easy to keep a roll of Siamese on the truck and cut it to length where with premade you have to carry various length and then what do you do with the excess?

We are also trying to limit the different sizes of BNC connectors we stock.

If I paid for a install, and someone came out with premade cables I would send them packing......

As said earlier, you cant pull a premade. Plus premade is usually not that good quality, made in bulk, not hand done with loving care.... And its hard to get premade to the exact lengths needed. As for being cheaper, I doubt it...

Premade cables are only for end users DIY installers... the only premade cables we use are for DVR to monitor connections etc.

Camera installs should always be done with siamese RG59 & 18g and I must say you boys are all getting ripped off on your cable... I could run RG6 + T&E mains cable for that sort of pricing!

I have to say that some of the posts here are listing prices on rg59 Siamese Coax Cable that are outrages. We are not buying bulk and get 500ft rolls for $118.00 and that is for US made good quality Coleman cable.

As far as the pre-made stuff, I agree with BurstElement, it should only be used for DIY installation.

The price difference is not significant if you of course get better pricing on coax cable.

Yeah, agreed on the pricing there. I buy Siamese for around 10-11c a foot (95% grade w/ 18 awg power). I also buy BNC twist on ends for around 30c each.