Splat

DSL and 2-line phones

Thought this was the best place to put this so........

We have two 2-line phones in our office, running off seperate lines. Either phone can obviously utilize either line-1 or line-2. We just got DSL activated today on one of the lines. Now, I'm not new to computers or networking but I am new to DSL.

My question is: can/will the DSL work over this setup? Are there special 2-line adapters or filters that we need to allow the DSL to work over one of the lines _OR_ should I run a seperate cable from one line at the NIU straight to the DSL modem?

run from the network to the dsl modem. If you have to put a filter on your phones be aware that the filters are set up for line one that is the center two pins of a rj11 jack. If the dsl is on line two the filter may not work. if you have a fax line that is better to use as a dsl line.

run from the network to the dsl modem. If you have to put a filter on your phones be aware that the filters are set up for line one that is the center two pins of a rj11 jack.

Thanks for replying. The filters are 2-line filters so they should work for either line. I think I -should- be able to tap the line at one phone's jack with a line running straight to the DSL modem. In essense, it's the same thing as running another line straight to the demarc. It's been a long day but I think that should work, right?

Do you have an alarm?

The proper way to do this is back at your telco distribution, run line 1 to your DSL filter/splitter, put your modem on the non filtered side and then go back in where line 1 was before with the filtered side.

You also need to install a filter between the RJ31x and the alarm control. They make filters specifically for this.

I have no idea how they work though.

You also need to install a filter between the RJ31x and the alarm control. They make filters specifically for this.

Which would mean I'd have to call ADT before I disco the alarm line to install the RJ31x.

Doug, thanks for the link.