Lumpy

Cold Temp Cameras?

Good Day,

I did a search but nothing came up.

Where I live we experience weather in the -25-35C range. I've looked at

the spec on some cameras and none really go that low that I found so far.

I'm looking at (6) outdoor cameras for a home install.

Suggestions on brands to look at? or is the temp range really not that important?

With those temps I think you would probably need to put your camera in a outdoor heated housing, search for cctv housings/camera cases and look for ones with good heaters in them..

Extreme CCTV have some cameras that go very low, great for Large Refrigerated areas ... freezers, etc .. plus they are made in canada so they are use to the cold They are also weatherproof for outdoors.

www.extremeCCTV.com

no prob, you could also do what Ken said above .. with a heated housing.

Here are a couple of the Extreme Cameras that go that low ..

note though, Extreme is not cheap.

http://www.extremecctv.com/product_detail.php?producttype_id=5&page=1&product_id=58

-40c

http://www.extremecctv.com/product_detail.php?producttype_id=5&page=2&product_id=68

-50c

http://www.extremecctv.com/product_detail.php?producttype_id=5&page=1&product_id=56

-60c

PS. i kinda wouldn't know how that feels but I got the AC running right now

Hello Lumpy, its -4 as I am writing this. I have 6 Ex-10s in service 24/7 better than 5 years old on my property, One failed and was repaired by Extreme (good company, good support) Other brands Ive used for client installs that have stood up well over the years for outdoor/ harsh/frigid service : Sanyo VCC-X400 (no longer in production but some dealers still stock them) Panasonic WV-CP474 now replaced by WV-CP484, I put them in Ganz GH-24 Kits, (heater/dustproof and reliable low current draw 350Ma) and Pelco Camclosure series with heaters. As your budget will dictate and your type of service (quality of picture) beware of prices and specs. No matter what you decide (box or Bullet, or combination of the two) I suggest you buy one cam first and bench it. See if it meets your application. My climate is similar to yours, I can tell you this from hands on over the years, if you want to hang them and walk away with confidence go with Extreme. I have recently used some Wizkid (mid line Extreme) and Nuvico bullets but its too soon to see how reliable they are. In reality Ive seen cheap off the wall IR bullet cams stay alive in sub zero temps just from the ir generated heat but you will be unhappy with the quality and since you are taking the time to research doing it right get field tested proven gear. It pays in the long run.

Another thing you can do on homes is recess the cameras back into the house/attic. Then it's not -40 anymore, its actually alot warmer depeding on the specific building (trying to tie my vocab to the NEC here) and insulation methods.

I live In Northern Manitoba, north of the 55th, the temp drops to -45c without the wind at night, I find that most IR CCD outdoor cameras with IP65-66 rating work well at these cold temps, I would not recommend shutting down the camera and starting it from a cold state. If the camera is running and the temp drops, it seems to stay running. I have tried cheap eBay brands and name brands they keep on ticking trough the cold; I would not waist money on cases and heaters.

NOTE: this does not apply to PTZ type cameras as the motors will freeze up and most likely burn out.

empak