ronster

Crimp on or Twist on?

NEVER, EVER use twist-on connectors, period! They don't last; they pull loose; they make poor contact and they are generally pieces of crap suitable only for amateurs.

Ive been using Twist ons for several years now, 6 to be exact, and never had an issue with any of them. As with any connector, you must learn how to put it on properly or it will not work, nor last. Once put on properly, you should be able to hang from the connector. There are cheap connectors of all types, same with BNCs. Find a good distributor and get the good connectors, learn how to put it on properly, and it will be fine. If you have a Crimp tool and know how to use it properly, then you can go that route instead, the main thing is to do it right.

Also, they are NOT solely for amateurs.

Please search the forum, there are many threads on this already.

twist-ons are fine if they're installed correctly, stripping the insulation properly is critical and you have to twist the connector on the proper amount. it can be difficult holding the cable while screwing the connectors on with a wrench, i made a cable holder out of a block of aluminum for the purpose.

as far as the overall appearance in the professional world........twist-ons do not appear professional....and my experience with them is that do-it-yourselfers can't do them correctly and therefore give them a poor rep.

do they work...I'm sure they do because I've replaced a bunch of them on reinstalls.

I'm all for crimp or compression type.

as far as the overall appearance in the professional world........twist-ons do not appear professional....and my experience with them is that do-it-yourselfers can't do them correctly and therefore give them a poor rep.

I doubt DIYs can do crimp ons correctly either ..

Oh yeah, Ive also replaced many badly done Crimp ons .. for Twist ons.

No Connector is 100%, best just to solder them together and add some insulation

I'm not a professional, just a home user.

I'm an IT guy and was a network engineer for several years, starting back when we used bnc coax for networks. I can crimp bnc with my eyes closed (and some people say it looks like I did. ) I've been pulling cables through walls for the last 10 years both professionally (networking, all cat5/5e/6 these days) and have used

I don't mind the F-type and bnc twist-on for indoors, where there is not going to be any strain on the connector. Outdoors I prefer crimps. The camera system in my car is all crimps as twist-on doesn't seem to handle the vibration too well, I was always having to tighten them every week or so.

I don't mind the F-type and bnc twist-on for indoors, where there is not going to be any strain on the connector. Outdoors I prefer crimps. The camera system in my car is all crimps as twist-on doesn't seem to handle the vibration too well, I was always having to tighten them every week or so.

Yeah for special applications, there are much better connectors.

While out at the ISC show this last month, I went to all the booths that were giving demos on crimping. Know one was demoing twist-on's. Two of the booths after they when through the whole process, the BNC connector pulled right off. They were two and three piece connectors. They had all kinds of reasons why they failed. Then I found this one connector that was almost idiot proof. One step, so easy I could even do it. After my first crimp, I pulled as hard as I could. I was very impressed. I now use them. I believe crimps are the only way to go outside. With all the expansion and contraction. Inside I guess you can get by with twist-ons. Or be an expert like Rory. I'm sorry, I meant to say compression, not crimp.

Edited by Guest

ive been using twist for 3 years... no issues... if you install cameras correctly why would you need a connector to withstand someone hanging on it

i love people get personal about this topic more than anything else - twist ons are for losers i only use gold plated compression...

whatever takes you less time on install and gives you less service calls is what you should use...

cheers,

pg

The real problem is the variation in pvc jacket diameter from coax manufacturer to manufacturer, it can make the crimp or twist process to tight or too loose depending.

my camera(s) in my car? now that is something I don't hear everyday.

I gave my Son a camera becaused he asked and it turned out that he installed it onto his radio/video in his car with a 12ft. extension. Now I never asked where that camera has been but my brain stopped for a second when he show me his handywork..hummm? I guess I need to be carefull if he asks for a single channel recorder.

He is old enough...........College kid, so I am not too surprised.

The real problem is the variation in pvc jacket diameter from coax manufacturer to manufacturer, it can make the crimp or twist process to tight or too loose depending.

I'll also add the density and quench rate of the insulation too. It effects twist more then crimp.

I only use twist and occasionally compression.

Never had a problem, 10 years in service.

To all of you who use twist-on connectors, I will quote from someone who is a recognized industry expert - Charlie Pierce of LTC Training Center:

"Although the Screw-on BNC connectors appear to save you time in the field, they have too many factors against them to make them a true cost saving factor. 1. Screw-on connectors can and do vibrate loose, causing for sporadic video signal problems. 2. Screw-on connectors are not considered moisture tight and in actuality suck up moisture through the threaded base of the connector causing corrosion of the coaxial cable. 3. Most cases of connector problems that I have seen, that involve the Screw-on connectors are caused by improper installation of the connector and/or the use of a cheap connector. 4. These connectors cannot be used in any circumstance where; the cable may be in motion (pole to pole or pan/tilt installations); outside (to many humidity problems); or where the connector may be put on and taken off a piece of equipment often (field patch cords). In the end, many manufacturers of cameras systems are starting to label the Screw-on BNC as an illegal connector due to the extensive problems found in the field. My best advise is that if yours is a long term company, stick to the three piece crimp on BNC connectors. At the end of the day, a good technician can install a three piece crimp on BNC connector in the same amount of or less time than a Screw-on connector. "

http://www.ltctrainingcntr.com/

In my experience, I found his comments to be true. When I was first hired where I work now, the techs used screw-on connectors often. I couldn't believe how bad the connections were. As I was going around checking the matrix for problems, I was having jumper cables literally fall out of their connectors. They were causing bad signals everywhere.

In actuality, we are not using even crimp-on connectors much anymore and we never use twist-ons. More and more we are converting to compression connectors. IMO they are superior in every way to both of the other types.

Yes ive read Charlie Pierce's book before, in fact its lying in the garage here somewhere gathering dust, though he typically provided some good information, the information is not up to date.

As to twist ons at your job, its clear the installers did not know how or care to learn how to put them on correctly, as others experiences with Twist on connectors will show otherwise.

But once what you use now works for you, thats what matters.

I just ordered the new Push on BNC Compression from Ideal Industries! They were pretty solid from what I could play with at ISC West!

But, normally we use twist ons for our DIY customers and our Techs use Compression.

Actually the techs that used them are no longer with the company. They won't be missed .

Thats good, cause a tech that cant put a BNC connector on properly shouldn't be in the industry

the only reason i use twist-ons for rg59 is because i inherited a box of about 2,000 that one of my predecessors ordered some time ago, and my manager insists on using them. they're decent quality ones, silver plated (real silver, not cadmium..) with gold center contacts, fwiw.. but when they're installed wrong they're definitely crap... at any rate, when i'm doing the install or modification they only get used for stationary, indoor applications. all of our outdoor stuff is rg6 with crimp connectors.

at home, i use the twist-ons quite often for my own stuff because we have this big box of them at work....

Securitymonster, the one I liked is the Cable Pro DB, which stands for Double Bubble. One piece. Have you seen this one?

For coax, especially mini-coax, we have been switching to compression fittings as we run out of 3 and 4 piece crimps. There is no comparison for strength of connection and they are even easier to assemble than the standard fittings.

How do the compression fittings work, any pics of them in bits, and being fitted? Never seen one yet. Only seen crimp ones (3 peice)

Ken, I'm no expert or pretend to be. Having said that, I have good mechanical abilities. I saw all kinds of crimp and compression type fittings. I personally like the Cable Pro, "Double Bubble" BNC compression fittings. They have them in any type fitting, but I use 90% BNC on RG59. They are specific to which cable you are using, No one fitting fits several. In my opinion these are superior to almost anything out there. They are one piece. When you strip back the covering on the cable and insert it into the fitting the center contactor kind of clicks and snaps. That way you know the center conductor is seated. Then you put the commpression pliers or tool on and it compresses the connector. The inside of the BNC connector is ribbed, so that when its compressed the outside pvc coating on the cable foarms its own seal. As you can see I really like them. They are new. They have a starter install kit. Called DB starter kit. Has the no fault stripper, idiot proof, an assourtment of fittings and the compression tool. I ordered one but have not got it yet. They say they are very hot right now. Sold out. I don't know if I believe that tho. Northern video has them and Windy City Cable has them. Hope this helps. Let me know what you think.