Scruit

Office Cubicle

Here's one to think about... I need to install a camera to cover my cubicle at work. I've already had a pair of sunglasses stolen, and just yesterday someone stole my British Flag and threw my US flag on the floor all crumpled up.

The cubilce is 6x8 with an L-shaped desk.

I used to have a USB webcam attached to the bottom of an overhead cabinet and I used it to get some interesting shots. Like this one:

57645_1.jpg

That worked fine for a free throwtogether solution... But then I caught video of two fo the cleaners "making out" in my chair, and when I told my boss the video was confiscated and I was told to remove the camera due to privacy rules and that my use of a camera (in my own cube!) was being escalated to "Legal" and "Security" to see if I broke any rules.

Well, now it's going back, but it has to be so stealthy that not even my team members will realise it's there.

I can stick with the USB webcam and old laptop computer solution for now, but that requires too much babysitting. Would like to have a solution that I can install and just leave running on motion sense. I have a spare laptopn (p3/500) but not a desktop.

Ok, this is as stealthy as I can get in 30 minutes. This power supply will be placed in the middle of a pile of old computer parts that is directly below the camera in the first post.

123701_1.jpg

The camera will be facing away from the cube entrance. Hope this winds up being stealthy enough.

Your risking the sack at best if caught, as you have been told not to use a camera... At worst, they may see if they can prosecute (not sure of privacy laws where you are, but if you have been told no cameras, then you go and install a covert one, it seems likely you would be in breach of some law...)

Your risking the sack at best if caught, as you have been told not to use a camera... At worst, they may see if they can prosecute (not sure of privacy laws where you are, but if you have been told no cameras, then you go and install a covert one, it seems likely you would be in breach of some law...)

I went to my boss today and told him stuff was stolen from my cube. He asked if my camera caught it. I told him I took it down because he asked me to earlier. His response was; "Well, I said I was checking to see if you broke any rules, I didn't say you had to take it down right away."

So, the way I figure it, if they decide I shouldn't be recording then the fact that my boss is already aware of it and is condoning it means they won't sack me, just formally demand it be taken down. "Legal" never did respond. I'll tell him I'm putting it back, and if he doesn't object then I'm in the clear.

I also found out that the security department has a website that I can visit and "Request Security Camera". What they will do is put a covert camera in the cubicle and watch for crimes being comitted. Problems with that are that I have no control over the video, and they would potentially have someone watching the video live and seeing me picking my nose all day. Finally, it has to be justified by a "Cost Avoidance", such as potential cost of theft of company property etc. Someone a few cubes down from me got a camera installed to try to catch who was making international calls to mexico in the middle of the night, but only becuase the calls were costing hundreds of dollars. They dont care about employee personal property (their response was "Don't bring personal property to work"), and especially not a British flag.

I also need to bolt that bloody flag down. What is it with Union Jacks? Every US company I've worked for I've had problems with people stealing/destroying/defacing my flag? I told one guy I was gonna replace with it w bigger flag and his response, matter-of-factly, was; "You're just asking for it to get torn up." I had a US flag of the same size right next to it, so there was no disrespect to the US.

electrify the flag, and put a note on it, "touch me if you bad!"

I have one better. I have a Targus PA400U alarm that uses a small electric wire that runs from the unit, through the stuff you want to secure, then back to the uni to make a continuous connection. When armed, cutting the cable, or moving the alarm box, will trigger a 95dB alarm. I'll run the cable through the eyelet in the flag and truck the alarm box in a drawer, armed. If someone tries to take the flag them everyone on the floor will know about it.

57657_1.jpg

I have one better. I have a Targus PA400U alarm that uses a small electric wire that runs from the unit, through the stuff you want to secure, then back to the uni to make a continuous connection. When armed, cutting the cable, or moving the alarm box, will trigger a 95dB alarm. I'll run the cable through the eyelet in the flag and truck the alarm box in a drawer, armed. If someone tries to take the flag them everyone on the floor will know about it.

PA400U_accessories_b.jpg

don't be scared of the policies......video taping public area's is legal and since your cubical is open to all ...and they did not say jack anyway....need I say more.

- try a Teddy Bear cam..........I always liked them...so nice and unoffensive.

I am surprised that your boss is so sensitive to the rights of thieves and buttheads. That's what's wrong in America..........many are afraid to do the right thing.

I have a Gov contract and they called me the other day to tell me that they have been catching several "cleaners" and night shift personnel stealing anything that was not nailed down. Video got them all. Difference here is that they support and protect those that work and visit. ain't skeered!

ps..maybe you should give them a quote for a decent video system?

if it were me, i would build a system above the dropped-ceiling tile over my desk using a sprinkler head camera or a pinhole unit, depending on the field of view desired.. velcro can be used to hold the laptop computer in place on the top surface of the tile, all you would have to run to make it work would be the power, which is usually easily concealed in any office ceiling. if you wanted to get really tricky you could also install a wireless network interface so that you wouldn't have to disturb the tile to check the video log

if it were me, i would build a system above the dropped-ceiling tile over my desk using a sprinkler head camera or a pinhole unit, depending on the field of view desired.. velcro can be used to hold the laptop computer in place on the top surface of the tile, all you would have to run to make it work would be the power, which is usually easily concealed in any office ceiling. if you wanted to get really tricky you could also install a wireless network interface so that you wouldn't have to disturb the tile to check the video log

Power is the problem. I wanted to obtain a fire alarm siren/strobe box like they have on the walls around here and install a Swann Microcam in it - about the size of a 9v battery - then put one up on the wall outside my cube. Pretty good angle, but no power source available, and I can't go around cutting up the walls. Heck, I got yelled at for putting up a whiteboard that 'Facilities' forgot to put up. "Quit taking our job" "Start doing your job! It's been sat on the floor here for 3 months!"

How about a pair or 12v sealed lead acid batteries? from an old UPS. Should hold a charge long enough run a 200ma camera for a few days, right? Sprinker heads won't work inmy case because the sprinkler system is recessed into the ceiling, and I can't cut the tiles... Errr... If I can find a tile with the corner broken off then I can switch that tile to above my cube and have the camera poking through the hole. But then I'd have to climb up to a 10' ciling to install, the change batteries.

Power is the problem. I wanted to obtain a fire alarm siren/strobe box like they have on the walls around here and install a Swann Microcam in it - about the size of a 9v battery - then put one up on the wall outside my cube. Pretty good angle, but no power source available, and I can't go around cutting up the walls. Heck, I got yelled at for putting up a whiteboard that 'Facilities' forgot to put up. "Quit taking our job" "Start doing your job! It's been sat on the floor here for 3 months!"

How about a pair or 12v sealed lead acid batteries? from an old UPS. Should hold a charge long enough run a 200ma camera for a few days, right? Sprinker heads won't work inmy case because the sprinkler system is recessed into the ceiling, and I can't cut the tiles... Errr... If I can find a tile with the corner broken off then I can switch that tile to above my cube and have the camera poking through the hole. But then I'd have to climb up to a 10' ciling to install, the change batteries.

i'm probably more of a gearhead.. i'd take the power from whatever constant voltage source i could find above the ceiling. this assumes that you have access to the facility when nobody else is around.... 10' is nothing when you have a ladder

i'm probably more of a gearhead.. i'd take the power from whatever constant voltage source i could find above the ceiling. this assumes that you have access to the facility when nobody else is around.... 10' is nothing when you have a ladder

It's not so much a 'gearhead' problem, it's more of a 'Trying to remain inconspicuous' thing. I'm going to stick out like a sore thumb if I carry a ladder into the building.

There is a printer outside my cube, with stacks and stacks of reams of papaer. Maybe I can install a camera in there, knowing that I woudl have access to a power outlet next to the printer. I can make a "ream cam". Probably not a good name for it though.

Well, there's no reason why the camera can't be on the floor under the printer table and facing the opening of my cube. I coudl take one of the boxes that the paper comes in, mount the camera so it faces trhough the open handle hole in the side of the box, then put it at the bottom of all the paper... It's never get moved or disturbed under there. Then I'd just need some way of taking a standard TV signal from an RCA plug and recording it on my old laptop. Hey, ebay has a bunch of those "USB DVRs", right?

I sell many styles of covert cameras. Do a google for covert cameras and you should see computer speaker cameras, pencil sharpener cams, keyboard cams.

There are devices that are about 2"X4" that have a camera and a recording device. It can do motion picture for a short period of time, or it can take a series of snapshots for longer periods. You could easly take this out of the office at lunch and plug it in to any composit input tv to view!

I love covert cameras and networking! I have many time called in on the phone pretending to be someone else and just "hassle" the janitor, or whoever. My favorite is to call in and scream dj voice style "For $1000.00 WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE RADIO STATION! Sir bring me a _____ (fill in the blank) down to our radio station and we will give you $1000.00! You have to get it here withing 12 hours! If they fall for it and show up at the radio station they will just look like fools!

I had a problem with a janitor. I typed up a bunch of letters chastising the cubile owners of how dirty their cubicles are! This is just disgusting, and I refuse to clean your cubicle from now on! Clean it yourself! Your mother does not work here! On and On etc, etc. Please be advised I am reporting you to HR!

I came to work real early and layed these "letters" in everyones cubicles and then I left and came back at my regular morning time. This worked because we did not have card access, or cameras. WOW! I have never seen so many people pissed off at a janitor so much in my LIFE!

Everyone thought he wrote this letter and they let him have it! No I did not leave any fingerprints on these "letters".

OK you do gooders go ahead and flame me! I hope he gets a job with you so you can see what he is like!

If stuff is stolen during office hours, then you could maybe look at

http://www.loc8tor.co.uk/index.asp

Hide a tag inside something 'stealable' and wait for it to go missing whilst at work. Soon as its gone, probably into someones bag or desk drawer, use the locator to find out who stole it - and catch them in possession of it.

Only problem is, I dont know if you can turn of the tag's beeping (unless you open it and cut the buzzer connections) - as you would not want the item to start beeping and alert them something is up....

Mind you, if they were to remove the object far enough, it would not be trackable. PS - never used one, just found out about them today, no idea how good they work, but thinking about getting one at some point, seems a neat idea....

Things I learned today:

1) People can only see what they are specifically looking at. I didn't think this camera was hidden well to avoid detection by someone who looked at the PSU closely. Apparently that is not the case - someone picked up and looked at the PSU and never saw the camera.

2) Weird stuff happens when you're not around. Someone came into my cube last night and rummaged through the pile of computer parts that the PSU cam was in - nothing missing though (the pic 2 posts above was taken before I left last night, so I could compare and make sure nothing was missing) The part are all old and useless, which is why I'm not using them!

3) You just can't *know* people. You really can't. The person who went digging for cool stuff in the 'pile of parts' is someone who sits 3 cubes away and I've been friends with for 3 years. :-/

Sounds like you need some bait.

I would love to break it off in someone who has been acting like my friend for that long and stealing from me.

From working retail security I can tell you it's even better when your friends KNOW you are watching them and they still steal.

It tends to fuck with your personal trusting ability after a couple of people no one suspected ends up being the culprit.

Last night the cleaner emptied my trash can, as she is supposed to, but then reached over my desk and tried to pick up the port replicator for my laptop.

I'm not suggesting she was trying to steal it, but if your job is to empty trash cans then you have no business trying to pick up electronic devices off my desk...

Still watching...

plant some bait ..

I tried that before with a $1 bill on my desk. It was picked up by the first cleaner who saw it, but he replaced it again a few seconds later. Maybe it wasn't worth risking his job for a Buck. Maybe if it was a 20...

I need to make a nice fake $20 bill and leave it on my desk...

Or even better, if I can get my hands on a broken IPOD or soemthing for free, then I could leave that on my desk... That would grow legs the first night!

Scruit, I know this is not related to the post, but....

Today we started a new guy. He acts like he is gods gift to the cctv industry. I think he just memorized every book he ever read about it.

I could not take it anymore! I handed him a socket wrench and 4 spark plugs and told him to go change that DVR. He walked away. I thought I would here the stuff slam on a bench as he fumed away.

A few minutes later he asks where are they installed???

HA! HA! HA! That got us in a good mood for the day! I still have tears from laughing so hard! I think I will have him hose the outdoor carpet out back that looks like grass. We would not want it to turn brown now would we?