Mek0n

SWANN

Have been approached to distribute Swann products... Are they any good or should i give it a miss???

Aside from thw cameras bringing on the suck, you would have to compete with Wal-Mart/Target/Radio Shack/Sam's Club I know a few of them sell Swann crap on the cheap.

I sell the Micro Cam III, and the outdoor version.

You really have to educate your customer before they use these products.

I carry them because I have a showroom. I am more expensive then R.Shk, but then I offer service as well.

I only carry them because if I do not, then the low end customers will go to something similiar to a Sams club, or what have you.

The micro cam III is really popular with the RC crowd. They are used on planes, and rockets, and cars for the view!

They are real popular with "my mate is cheating on me" crowd.

You will have to warn your customers about the possible interference of the 802.11X , or known as wireless internet, (WiFi). This is on the same freq of 2.4Ghz.

Do not buy these products because you think you might sell them. Sell them because you know it will bring in a new avenue of cash flow. I do not sell the whole range of products. I onlly sell the two wireless types, and that is it.

I do not like the 4 wireless camera system because it is a switcher, and not a multiplexor. I would rather use 4 seperate cameras, and use 4 seperate receivers to hook up to a DVR, (or a multiplexor W/ VCR).

In all honesty I have to say for what they are (cheap), they are pretty good products. Don't try to penetrate 4 walls, and expect it to work, but I do find that they work when used as for what they were designed to do.

Just because it say 300 line of sight does not mean it will work at 300 feet. You have to do a live test before you do an install! The energy level has to be above a certain thresh hold in order for the receiver to pull in a signal.

Do not recommend these to convenience store owners. They usually have those six foot refridgerators with the two doors that slide side to side. All of these compressors clicking on, and off will just kill the signal, or at the best you will just have a lot of interference in the videos.

You will have to recommend that the products be plugged in to ups battery back up to clean up the power to make them work great. If the camera is working off of battery power than you may be lucky to get 8 hours out of a 9 volt battery. If you use the $10 lithium 9 volt batteries then they might last 20 hours. You need to tell the customer that they will have to change the battery every day for it to work. I recommend that they use the wall wart that comes with it. Please note that the connector is not standard. If you run wire through an attic you will have to cut off the transformer connector, and reconnect it at the camera end of the wire.

You cannot hide wireless cameras in silk plants! Some have a wire in them to help give the plant it's shape. This will interfere with the signal!

I order mine through the Petra catalog there fore I can pick, and choose what I want to sell.

I find that it is to expensive to sell 5.8Ghz compared to the Swann microcam.

Do not order wireless cams (non Swann devices) from this dealer (PM for details). The kits will not work in the same room let alone trying to penetrate one wall! They are really trashy! They just do not work.

In my opinion buy the Swanns, and sell them!

Do you have to buy a minimum order in order to purchase? If you have too, just buy the the two that I have described. OK, I take that back they have some IP cameras, and I would probably sell those to.

I hope this was of help!

As scorpion says, as long as you know what the kit can and can't do and you give the correct information to your customers.

Edited by Guest

Have sampled some of the AV Tech fixed domes and infrared cameras - seems like decent quality kit.

You guys do not like the products from AV Tech I take it....(I haven't seen or tested any of their wireless kit).

Which cameras/DVR models did you test?

I love AV Tech Products.

My business would not survive without them!!

I am a fan of all of their DVRs. 4ch, 8/9, and 16 channel!

We do mostly entry level residential installs, and light commercial, and mom, and pop.

Thank you AVTECH!

I only asked because I was not aware that AVTech made/sold wireless cameras.

I just noticed that my SWANN distributor no longer has the micro cam III, and I noticed that Radio HUT no longer has them on their shelves as well.

They sell like gang busters in our shop, and to be honest I am leary of switching to a different product. Now I need to buy an unknown wireless cam, and test it. I was burnt last year after we ordered three, or four brands, and none of them could do what I wanted them to do.

I bought a 4 cam system last year from SWANN, and I did not like it because it was a switching unit, and not a multiplexed unit.

I bought a 4 cam system from our "defend yourself vendor", and it would not throw a picture 30 feet!!! PPPPPPPPPht!! This is without penetrating a wall!! Line of sight meant 10 feet from the receiver!

LOL @ gang busters .. I gotta remember that one

Yep I like their DVRs for budget jobs .. cant beat them for the price.

Dont know about their cameras though as never used them, but cant be any worse than other similar models

Our company has been contacted several times for our surveillance products because they hated Swann products. I have had more complaints with their products than any other. Also the Costco systems ae terriable as well. Hope this helps. We have our distributor programs if you are interested. Thanks