This is very interesting... Wireless Internet for free? What is Google's gain? How is the performance, what is the up and down speeds?

What are the requirements? Is there distance ramifications from their closest antennas? Which geographical areas are they testing, if you know?

I guess this topic did get my attention...

I know that I can only get cable Internet in my area and no DSL service is available due to the distance of their closest distribution center.. I even tried satellite internet, but extremely slow... and later went back to the cable again.

Any info will greatly be appreciated..

This is great!!

I thought it was only free during the beta testing!

One year later, and it is still FREE!!

I did have to buy a special porcelain drill bit.

Installation was faster than flushing a toilet!!

I have lost a connection a few times, but that is more of a municipality problem then with Google!

Installation manual:

http://www.google.com/tisp/install.html

FAQ:

http://www.google.com/tisp/faq.html

Press release April 1 2007

http://www.google.com/tisp/press.html

If you have not tried it, then you have to get it.

FREE INTERNET!

Thanks bud... I will give it a try... and hope it works... When I am forced to pay $60.00 per month for my Internet connection, it pays to look at other alternatives..

Appreciate the info!

Would this work out of the usa like in the islands?

Probably; but during installation you will most likely need to flush twice...

Hi Rory! Long time no see.

I stand corrected. I read this in the FAQ's:

In what countries is this service available?

TiSP is available today in the U.S. and Canada. Google has formed an international consortium of utility companies, sewage system experts, toilet manufacturers, and plumbers to develop solutions to the many problems facing all "dark porcelain"-based data-delivery innovators.

Keep in mind this is a fiber to the home solution. Wireless is available through the provided wireless router.

I was going to try this until I read the last FAQ:

Why is TiSP in beta?

When things go wrong with TiSP, they go very, very wrong. Let's leave it at that.

Hey, how's it going

Yep, I wish they did come here, we need wireless, there is nothing right now. We need someone with at least $25 million to blanket the major islands with Wireless. Unfortunately though they will have to fight the local monopoly to get a license for it, but the right person with the right amount of cash and background and experience in the field, should be able to pull it off. Our only Cable company here, came from Canada

That said, the majority of routers being sold here now are linksys 4 port wireless, and almost nobody locks down their wireless, so you can drive all over the main island and hit wireless quite often, though island wide would be nice, and also the out islands really could use it, right now they are suffering with DSL (though dial up still in most cases) which is the other monopoly, our local government owned telco, and the DSL they use is way behind cable.

C7 in CA!

Long time, no hear from!

Glad to see you back!

Thanks! Good to be back.

I have dropped in to lurk around a few times. I even had to have Larry reset my password awhile back...

I'm still doing my phone systems and data cabling. CCTV is still a field of interest for me. I have even done a couple of CCTV jobs using customer supplied Bosch stuff. but I have somehow been sidetracked into doing lots of point to point wireless stuff lately...

That said, the majority of routers being sold here now are linksys 4 port wireless, and almost nobody locks down their wireless, so you can drive all over the main island and hit wireless quite often, though island wide would be nice, and also the out islands really could use it, right now they are suffering with DSL (though dial up still in most cases) which is the other monopoly, our local government owned telco, and the DSL they use is way behind cable.

Sounds like you are where we were a couple of years ago. Most wireless wide open. Now I find most locked down, but many, many more of them around. Our local telco ships out wireless "2 wire" routers. I wish they would shut the wireless off by default. All it is doing is clogging up the airwaves. My neighbor across the street has an AT&T "2 wire" broadcasting on channel 6 yet they don't even use wireless. My guess is that is typical of many of their customers.

I hope google shuts off wireless by default on their TiSP routers. I think I am going to take the plunge and sign up for the "Royal Flush" tier. It's 36 Mbps for $24.95 a month!!!

tisp_logo_sm.gif