metafizx

cheap outdoor housing for Axis 207w

Hi,

made a cheap housing for Axis 207w. To my knowledge there are no housings available for this camera. There is one for the 207 (non wireless) cam but unless you dismantle the antenna, it wont fit.

Anyway, it looks a little home brew, but hey, it didnt cost much.

Uses a standard PVC outdoor electrical box w/ one inlet hole (for the wires). I had to cut out the top two posts to get the camera to fit. The rest is a simple hole for the lens area, and mounting hardware. I added the IR lamp on top since it fit nicely up there. I glued the clear plastic window on with AquaSeal (super tough marine quality cement). Silicone probably would be ok as well.

also I cut the little notch off the bottom of the antenna so it could swivel down. sharp razor blade does the trick. and used a piece of teflon tape to keep the lens tight. there is a rubber grommet in the bottom to allow the power cord through, but keep out the anything else.

The kit for the IR was $60 which includes the IR lamp and wide angle IR lens. it's from Lukwerks (wilife).

For a little under $400 you have a nice outdoor cam with IR.

I wouldn't trust this housing in direct exposure to rain, but it should keep out most weather conditions.

398956058_IMG_0543(Small).jpg.5c9a0079cf3c754284035a511c49f300.jpg

1467537710_IMG_0541(Small).jpg.7b4779d9d442af980025c8391bc0f3ef.jpg

544606118_IMG_0539(Small).jpg.3544c66f92a628c37bf27a4097762f24.jpg

would like to see the video grabs -pics with and with the IR lamp on,

I think someone said the lens's that come with the 207 are "IR poor" and you can replace them with a normal "IR passing" one with good results but they use a shim not screw in? [aghhh!]

would like to see the video grabs -pics with and with the IR lamp on,

I think someone said the lens's that come with the 207 are "IR poor" and you can replace them with a normal "IR passing" one with good results but they use a shim not screw in? [aghhh!]

that's right. I put in a IR lens. Simply use a wrap of teflon tape to get the lens tight. you can get the kit from wilife

increditable, but how about water proof ?

it should be fairly weather resistant, as it uses an outdoor outlet box with a gasket.

The acrylic lens is sealed, and the mounting hardware has rubber gaskets, so pretty sure it will keep out med - light rain. I wouldn't trust it in a all out downpour.

this is meant to go under an eave or somewhere with some protection, not really designed to use out in the open. this housing is good enough to keep out dirt, bugs, moisture, winds, and medium level percipitation.

Good job. Having built a few outdoor housings myself I can't resist suggesting that a glass window will work better in the long term. The best source for this sort of thing is a cheap outdoor halogen light fitting which usually have high-quality tempered glass.

Another issue is glare from direct sunlight. Some sort of "eyebrow" is useful and the right shape can also deflect rain from running down the window face. A good source of this item is a drawer "pull" from a cabinet hardware store.

If your box cover has an O-ring seal there is a good chance it would work fine in direct weather. If water does get in the window will fog long before any damage is done to the camera.

that very cool housing! really new Idea. but really here some manufacturer doing IP IR weather proof Camera.

You can use that. And this one I worried about it proof level.

For a DIY Housing is Good. You can install this in your house.

I don't know if this is a Cheap Solution. If calculate the time you spend to Bult this housing I think that this cost more that to buy a waterproof IP camera.

to answer some of the questions...

the purpose was to use the 207w in an outdoor environment.

there was no housing available, so with very cheap materials, I came up with one pretty quickly. The camera costs under $300, and the housing materials were less than $20. ignoring my time, I think there is nothing this good on the market for that money. if I am wrong, pls tell me. (oh, and if you want IR then add the cost of the IR lens and IR lamp..)

the 207w is the only low cost wireless camera I have used that seems to have a good picture and is reliable. it is also smaller than most. however no standard outdoor housing will really work with this, that is why I had to make something.

so far it works fine, but I don't have it directly exposed to weather, so it is not a great test of "weatherproof". but it has been working fine for months now.

time was a few hours to do a nice job, but I could make another one in less than an hour.

as for the night vision part, I did put in a IR lens, and with the IR lamp it works great. you have to have the IR lens to make it see in the dark.

with a stronger IR it would illuminate better, right now it is a little dim, but very useable. I am not sure I can get a jpg from it, because it is in my customer's home.

pls advise us about IR lens you used..where you got it/manufacturer..

The kit for the IR was $60 which includes the IR lamp and wide angle IR lens. it's from Lukwerks (wilife).

did you have any noticable difference in the daytime pic when you changed the 207mw lense? I did this with another lense and ended up with a IR daytime pic..........

what "kit" did you purchase? there are multiple...................and can you post a pic?

did you have any noticable difference in the daytime pic when you changed the 207mw lense? I did this with another lense and ended up with a IR daytime pic..........

what "kit" did you purchase? there are multiple...................and can you post a pic?

the picture looked good to me day or night, this is the product I purchased:

http://www.wilife.com/Products/PartsAccessories.aspx

note: they were bought out by LogiTech !