moe

Junction Box Techniques

I will be mounting a camera to an outside wall. I will run the cable from the camera to an inside junction box. The junction box will be flush mounted on the inside of the wall where it will contain the siamese cable that runs to the dvr. The junction box will have a solid cover plate, should I ever need to get access to the power and video connection to the camera. Is this the proper technique?

Thanks.

Not really, you should probably have two boxes or mount the only box on the exterior.

I would suggest liqui-tight flexible non-metallic conduit if it's up very high and an armored conduit if it's within reach.

Exposed outdoor coax or Cat5 is a pretty good mark of a hack job.

EDIT:

There are exceptions but generally the $1.50 for a box and $1.50 for the liqui-tight is cheap.

I would never leave any exposed wire. The camera that I will be mounting allows concealing of the wire through the arm. After it gets through the arm, it's routed inside through a small hole in the mounting bracket.

My thinking was that for security and exterior aesthetics of my home, I would rather a single, clean, flush mounted junction box on the inside, rather than a metal conduit routed to a surface mounted exterior junction box.

Moe - I think you're tracking.

{camera enclosure} House wall J-Box Wires to DVR

...........I I........................IIII

...........I I_____________[iIII-------

...........I________________==[ ]===============

.......................................[iIII-------

........................................IIII

I see nothing wrong with your plans. Thats how I typically do a junction for an outside camera. I feed the wires to an inside junction box because it is usually easier to get to for any upgrades, or tapping into the other pair of CAT5E on that line. Obviously, there are no exposed wires outside as I will do as already suggested and use a 2nd box and liquid tight flex if I can't send the wires through the mount's arm. Be sure to use a good sealant around the base of the arm at your home's wall.

Whats a drip loop?>

With outdoor wiring you have to consider what will happen to water that falls onto the wire/conduit - it tends to 'run down' the wire/conduit to the lowest point.

If the the lower point of the wire was a connection or junction box then you'd always have water trying to infiltrate the connection.

A 'Drip Loop' is simply a way of arranging the wire/conduit in a way that the lowest point, where the water collects, is below any connectors or junctions.

Examples:

71573_1.gif

71573_1.jpg

The information was very helpful. I have a question on the setup. I can't seem to find the right outdoor junction boxes at the local home depot to connect the liquid tuff connectors to.

What kind of box is that? Is it a outdoor weather proof or just a regular metal box with sealed gasket covering?

What kind of adapter is that, that connects to the liquid tuff flex conduit?

Can any one tell me what the proper termination technique is inside the J-box?

Let's say I'm using outdoor Analog Camera's in a Camera Housing. Should I bring the COAX and Power to the camera inside the housing through the J-BOX and to destination as a home run run.

Or do I pigtail from the camera to the J-Box and connect the pigtails to my home run cable inside the J-Box.

If the latter, what is the proper termination technique? BNC Males from the Pigtail and the Home run cable and join with a coupler?

For power and terminal connector?

Thanks in advance.

In addition to the above questions, any thoughts on using BNC to F/RCA adapters? What is the typical loss per connector?

Going the adapter route my cost per connection is still less than using BNC compression connectors. Unless I'm just on looking in the right places for them. Averaging ~$1.50 per BNC compression connector in pack of 50.

In addition to the above questions, any thoughts on using BNC to F/RCA adapters? What is the typical loss per connector?

Going the adapter route my cost per connection is still less than using BNC compression connectors. Unless I'm just on looking in the right places for them. Averaging ~$1.50 per BNC compression connector in pack of 50.

Use the BNC connectors!!! The adapter is one more thing that can go wrong and then you have a upset customer and a service call because you wanted to save 50 cents

Do it right the first time!!!!

Thanks! I plan to. How about proper termination/junction techniques?

Can any one tell me what the proper termination technique is inside the J-box?

Let's say I'm using outdoor Analog Camera's in a Camera Housing. Should I bring the COAX and Power to the camera inside the housing through the J-BOX and to destination as a home run run.

Or do I pigtail from the camera to the J-Box and connect the pigtails to my home run cable inside the J-Box.

If the latter, what is the proper termination technique? BNC Males from the Pigtail and the Home run cable and join with a coupler?

For power and terminal connector?

Thanks in advance.