Snow_death

Running cable underground?

I was going to buy Siamese 1000foot rolls of cable but my client wants to run all the cabling underground (hidden). Do you have to use PVC or is this cable double shielded?

I suggest using "direct burial cable". You can find it in a number of configurations. This cable is made of special UV and weather-resistant material that will withstand years of above and underground outdoor exposure. It also often contains a gell that protects the internal wires from liquids.

If you need to run low voltage cable outdoors, use this cable. Do not use regular cable, as its insulation will degrade and crack with prolonged outdoor exposure.

Learned along time ago to run PVC and put in a "pull" wire in addition to regular wires. Somewhere down the road, customer will want more, so if you leave pull wire (actually thin pulling string) inside PVC conduit, it will make things a lot easier. Just a bit of advice from someone who has had to do a lot of digging, until the light bulb went off in my head.

Also use Cat5 and baluns so you can add more cams in the future without much trouble.

But Cat5 cable MUST Exterior Rated for it to be any good for this application. Other wise the "without much trouble" you speak of will be BIG TROUBLE when it comes time to actually use is.

Les

Its up to you, but PVC works fine down here.

On a side note,. I had regular RG59 Siamese to a camera here at my appt for 5 years without issues, no conduit and it was run loose out to the Beach, salt air, and went through a couple hurricanes, without even any connectors, just spliced together all the copper and braid exposed to the salt air and rain etc .. LOL .. I dont suggest this for your client .. just showing at least under the tropical conditions down here, standard RG59 Siamese CAN last 5 years easy with no protection. And yes, picture was perfect the whole time

We always run an indoor/outdoor rated cable in outside plant conduit. It has the gel and water resistance you need because in this climate (MI) you get temp change and condensation which usually means water in the conduit. The advantage of indoor/outdoor rated is it is smaller in diameter than the direct bury stuff. I think there is an outdoor rated siamese but I have not used it yet.

If the client wants underground cable run and there is room..............Direct burial or "Aquaseal" is the way to go, and make sure ya leave a pull string. If you can convince him, run an additional set now rather than later, because anyone that has run new cable through new underground conduit knows....in a year or 2 all kinds of things can crush (corrugated conduit) or fill up these conduits (muck, etc), lol. I wasted 4 1/2 hours trying to unblock a conduit that was a year old (No pullstring left for me of course). The block? A dead severely bloated Rat! lol

After 37 years of underground work (since retired, highway/heavy/bridge/tunnel) countless foot of of concrete encased ductbank, HV runs for rail sub-stations... etc, have yet to find a "dry pipe", conduit is all about mechanical/physical protection, no matter what, if you use conduit or not always use wire approved for wet location outdoors....my two cents