Kiwi

Arecont 3130, disappointing image quality

Continuing with the subject at hand, the latest status is I got my hands on the latest firmware which is version 63010, replacing my 62425. This has a new home page interface and a few extra features including a password protect on the settings and viewing access. Naturally, there is no documentation provided for any of that.

The minor image artifacts (snow) are now much reduced although it has the same propensity for the occasional totally corrupt image. It's clear to me now that this camera has been developed and tested only under streaming use, as when used in that mode it clears out the problem in the first image or two then runs fine. Since I'm using it in single-image mode it seems to accumulate noise somewhere in the data path while doing nothing, then adds it to the next image requested.

I've mostly gotten around this issue now by requesting the value of a settings parameter 2 seconds before I request an image. This seems to "clear out" the spurious data and the problem is far less likely to occur.

What now appears to be "broken" in this firmware is that the camera's home page now does not work outside the LAN, likely due to the default presence of a streaming video window which confuses remote browsers into thinking the URL is too long. To make setting changes remotely now requires individual text entries, as I had described a few messages back.

Well, I just finally got mine to work, I am WOW with the quality of the image, but still trying to determine how to make the night sensor work better than what it is. The application where this camera will be installed will have barely moon lighting, so I want to know if an external IR beam will work? Mainly looking for a wide beam. Any ideas?

I would expect the application of an IR source to be no different than to a normal CCTV camera. It's a matter of matching it to the lens FOV and distance to the subject.

At least on the 3130 you have a number of options regarding exposure time v.s. frame rate.

However there doesn't seem to be a (documented) trigger off the camera for switching on the IR so it will need to be done separately.

You need to find out what the Spectral Response is, at that will matter when it comes to IR. Also not all cameras are as sensitive to IR as others.

Gotta tell you, I have read things about tech support from this company, did try to call, but no answer, so I called their eastern rep, Jason, and he told me everything that I need to know about this system, very happy with the info that he provided, so I guess that they are listening and hopefully their tech support will get better in the near future.

Anyway, rorymon, he sent me a PDF with the info you asked for:

74575_1.jpg

Thanks.

not very flash specs.... unless you flood the area with green !

they really need to get a better sensor in there

My image quality is better then what your getting but not as good as their demo images on their website. I have the same 4mm Arecont lens and I think that is the problem. Also I find I get better results when I make the adjustment in the AV software then when from the web interface. What is your sharpness set at?

My image quality is better then what your getting but not as good as their demo images on their website. I have the same 4mm Arecont lens and I think that is the problem. Also I find I get better results when I make the adjustment in the AV software then when from the web interface. What is your sharpness set at?

Might try the computar, mo better.

So here's what appears to be going on. Looks like you don't have a lens rated with a spot size small enough to equal the spot size required by your megapixel sensor.

This is why selecting megapixel rated optics are so key when using megapixel lenses. Remember, on a 1/3" 1.3 Megapixel sensor, the pixels are about 1/3 the size of a standard 540 TVL analog sensor, or a 4CIF, VGA or D1 IP camera. This means the optics on the lens need to be three times as good, i.e. the spot size needs to be one-third the rated spot size of a standard resolution lens.

The most frequent characteristic of this is that you focus the lens as best you can and it still looks "fuzzy" across the entire field of view. Generally it will get more fuzzy as you look to the edges as most optics increase in spot size as they move away from the center.

In the night shot this looks further compounded by IR shift. Even if the lens is rated as an "IR-corrected" lens there are different qualities of that feature and the shift is causing additional reduction in sharpness.

By the way, hello all, this is Jason Spielfogel. I was the Product Manager for GE Security fixed camera line for five years but moved over to IQinVision about a year ago. My email is Jason.Spielfogel@iqeye.com if you need to contact me for any reason.

Special hello to Rory. It's good to be back