glocklt4

Is more IR LED's always better?

Different Sized LEDs, different Powered LEDs, but, and this is a big BUT, you can have the largest array of LEDs in the world, but it will still depend on the camera itself.

Often it can be more cost effective and offer a better image quality to add external lighting rather than keep opting for more and more infrared....

First off, a lot of factors have to be determined.

How far away is the subject? I.E. are you talking about mounting a camera looking at your front door and the subject will be < 10 ft? More IR would probably be a bad thing in this case.

Also, what are you expecting? You want to see the dude sneaking across your lawn at 100 yds? You will probably need to look more at a day night camera, or flood lights.

Depending on the scenario, less leds might be a better thing, or a better camera and seperate IR illuminator.

I hate IR on the cam, if I buy them I'll use them as illuminators for a different camera and never connect it's video feed.

I hate IR on the cam, if I buy them I'll use them as illuminators for a different camera and never connect it's video feed.

I have never liked em. IF you are trying to install to augment a security system, motion triggered floodlights do a lot more. Even if each of those led's were 1watt, you are still talking about 18w of light. The camera better be very light sensitive. Now if you hit the area with 300w of Halogen Flood, even a bad camera will show something. Get a good one and it looks like daytime.

Besides, if its for security, you are better off not having video of the guy stealing/trashing something. I like the video where you see em run away when the light comes on.

Good point on the motion activated flood lights. Using them to illuminate someone and then record would be better than darkness and IR with recording. Luckily I have a street light right next to my house (burned out right now, of course), but that will help a lot too.

IR lighting requires lots of experience to make it work, thats why so many people and manufactures have problems. [whiteouts etc]

For starters you need the right camera and there are only a few that have on-board IR that work well.

Just to do a driveway area you might need 4 IR floods and a $1000 camera

this is to get the right contrast at a distance and up close for a face shot. but it will be in black and white. [and IR makes people look funny]

Sometimes it better and cheaper to use a $300 camera [no IR] and PIR floodlights !

why.. because you get the perp in color !

Over the years I have run both covert IR and .1lux type color cams and I always go back to color and flood lights.

Just on that note It seems 750Nm is better than 900Nm IR [psychologically] because the crims get a shock when they walk all the way down a driveway and then see a dull red glow staring at them. then most are stupid and dont notice.

I have had a crim look at my car at night with a torch and then the floods turn on -he just turned his torch off -F#$#ker ! .

my 2c

750nm will also be more light for the camera than the 900.

Anyway, IR done right takes time, so dont do it if you want to run in and out of the clients site, as with any Day Night app you must spend some time there at night, but with the IR app, you need to adjust it in the day, night, and with IR on in pitch dark.

The IR Day Night bullets are typically a bit easier than a professional IR Day Night setup.

Visible Light is always the best, as you get a better image normally, no need for powerful IRs, and the light itself adds to security.

Different cameras handle the IR differently, for example an expensive Box Day Night or BW only Camera may see some 100' with IR, while a cheaper bullet camera may only see about 40-60'. Many of the brand name expensive cameras will say specifically which IR range they support, such as up to 1100nm, while you would be pulling teeth to get that info from an OEM camera.

Seems that some cameras say they go 50' with 18 LED's and then others go 60ft with 32 LED's. So what gives?

Some people could be lying other's arent. Some image sensors may be better than others. Some cameras may use slow shutter speeds (less than 1/60 standard NTSC) to increase the light soaking ability but introducing noticeable blur on moving objects.

Unless you know the model, or know someone that's bought one, you often really have no idea what you're getting until you try it out.

I've hardly ever seen IR done right. From my experience IR cameras are a way to compensate for low quality CCDs, as well as for creating a "general" camera that can be boxed into DIY kits.

I've seen some successful IR implementations, but I would have to agree that good ole' fashioned white light does a better job when done correctly.

I've hardly ever seen IR done right. From my experience IR cameras are a way to compensate for low quality CCDs, as well as for creating a "general" camera that can be boxed into DIY kits.

I've seen some successful IR implementations, but I would have to agree that good ole' fashioned white light does a better job when done correctly.

Extreme CCTV has the product, but its not cheap.

Just seems that trying to put a day/night and color camera all in one is a bad idea. For example most day/night cameras turn grainy at night, have a bad picture quality, and are green looking.

I recommend going with one of our dual CCD night vision cameras. It combines two cameras literally into housing. One is a color dedicated camera and then when night comes around, it switches to a whole different b/w camera and flips on the LED'S. This is one of the better cameras out there.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. Thanks

Yes, Dual is always better, I use the EX82's typically, when the client can afford it that is.

Either way, keeping them separate is the way to go, for ultimate Day Night Infrared quality. BW camera for the night, or low light, color for the day. Requires additional time spent on setup but it is worth it.

Actually, with our dual camera's it requires no extra time on setup. It still has the one video cable and one power cable. Very easy to install and well worth it. Uses board technology to switch between the signals coming from the cameras.

It is dual cameras, 2 cameras, and with any day night app it requires night time adjustments. In this case it additionally requires the color camera to be focused and adjusted for the daylight (full light), and the BW camera to be focused and adjusted at night, or in pitch dark if it has IR. Also requires the camera physically adjusted under pitch dark for the IR beams. So yes, certainly will take additional time to set it up properly. Mind I'm sure some installers just stick the cameras up and forget about them, I've cleaned a few of those jobs up in the past.

PS. Ive installed dual camera IR apps for years. And yes single cables coming out the back of the cameras too

PSS. which model were you talking about also, CNB or another? They do look neat, especially as they are half the cost of the EX82s

I'm not an expoert, just a home user.

I have 3 of the CPCam bullets with IR built-in. They are mounted right next to doors so that a person's face takes up 20% of the screen.

The IRs alone provide too much light and faces are just a whiteout. I compensate by having motion floods that activate when someone approaches the door - then the cameras show great detail with good lighting. However, there are no streetlight out by us and having no IR means there's not enough ambient light for a good image when nobody is around and the floods are off... It's a tradeoff.

So, I use the IR light to provide the reassurance of an empty scene when nobody is there - and when someone IS there the floods turn on and provide extra light for a good picture.

(just remember to not have the floods in shot...)