ClintF

Sunlight, Image Sensor Damage

I have an auto iris camera, Axis 221, looking out a large glass window to record activity at night. The camera had to be replaced because it lost its image completely.

Since this is the Arizona desert, a friend has suggested that the camera's image sensor is being damage by the sunlight. The camera is pointing West/South. I have not noticed any smear in the recordings before the failure and the camera is pointing slightly downward below the horizon.

Is sunlight damage to the image sensors common? If so, is there a way to filter the sun and still get a usable image. Thank you for any input.

sensors damaged by sunlight or laser would normally display some picture with black hole where the actual damage were.

IMHO it's not likely that a weakend light of sun before sunset would damage AI cam.

How long has the camera been installed?

I had a Sanyo pointed at the afternoon sun for over 6 years no issues, until one day the lens/AI feature went bad (never really got a chance to find the actual problem, just switched the entire cam and lens in that case as it was old), but we still had an image (just not great). Ive had at least 2 box cameras indoors where the AI stopped working (new lenses did not fix the problem, was just a black image like no lens was attached), was a power issue more than likely (they were not on a voltage regulator). Ive had other cameras pointed at the afternoon sun for years though and no issues (ofcourse better to not point them there).

Thank you all for your comments. The camera was up for about 4 weeks. When it died it gave a white screen with no image. This may be a function of the video encoder.

I suppose we will leave the new one up and see what happens. In reviewing the recordings it did not seem that the camera was ever exposed to very bright, direct sunlight. Your comments based on experience put my mind at ease about the placement.

sensors damaged by sunlight or laser would normally display some picture with black hole where the actual damage were.

IMHO it's not likely that a weakened light of sun before sunset would damage AI cam.

We use cameras to align Lasers all the time and never had one fail because of the Laser. These are industrial Lasers operating over 5MW.

We use cameras to align Lasers all the time and never had one fail because of the Laser. These are industrial Lasers operating over 5MW.
are those quality cams or just some chinese junk ?

i've got two cameras killed by kids with laser pointer, or something ...

are those quality cams or just some chinese junk ?

i've got two cameras killed by kids with laser pointer, or something ...

Tha cameras are not junk. We run up tp 30 MW and never had a problem.

I take it the cams for aligning lasers etc are looking at the beam indirectly, ie the beam is not pointed direct into the camera head on?

I take it the cams for aligning lasers etc are looking at the beam indirectly, IE the beam is not pointed direct into the camera head on?

Both scenarios. I would use caution as there are many types of imagers out there. There are also various wavelength Lasers, some of which may harm certain cameras. Never say never!

Edited by Guest

In my opinion, for what its worth your camera suffered from what I call "RANDOM FAILURE"...

Unless you have had a bad power surge its just one of those things that happens.

I've had cameras that get almost direct sunlight in the morning running for years, a few of them have been compromised but there still functioning.

OR:

Illegal Ailens, (possibly Klingons), from another planet are messing with you and zapping your camera with their phasers.

Feel free to pick the best answer.

ClintF, Please review the images leading up to and during the camera failure, and post a video of the actual event. You should see something that would explain the situation.

most cams have a IR filter glued or bolted which will stop most LASER's damaging IR components.

If it was the sun or a LASER [even 100mW+] you could see the pixels that don't work.

And a burn mark on the grass where the ship landed.....