highspeedphysics

Bosch LTC 0455 Repair

I had an installer working for me today short out 7 Bosch LTC 0455 cameras, they hooked up the power and bnc cable without shutting off the power supply.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to repair these cameras or what is damaged?

Not sure how they could short the camera, if its all cameras on the same power supply that are not working, then it sounds more like they have not damaged the camera's but shorted the power supply supplying all 7 cams (if they are being supplied by the same psu)

Check the fuse on the psu, and measure the psu output see if its working...

I should have been more clear. Pretty much no video anymore after this incident. I am able to hookup new cameras and complete the installation for the customer. I think my technician shorted or damaged the cameras. Any ideas on repair of bosch ltc 0455 cameras?

I'm afraid it's not as simple as "ok just fix this". There could be a multitude of problems with each camera, depending on what the actual cause of damage was.

I find it difficult to believe that just pluging in a camera to a live power supply could cause catastophic damage, without some other factor involved. Did he use the wrong polarity? Did he run power into the BNC, instead on the power input? Did he use the wrong voltage? There has to be more to this story.

Unfortunately, each camera will have to diagnosed and repaired individually. It is possible that they all suffer from the same problem, but you don't really know that for sure. In order to narrow it down, you need to know EXACLTY what happened, and how it happened.

The first, and simplest thing to check would be the input fuses on the cameras, if they have them. After that you will need to have a profesional tech look at them. If that's the case, you might be better off sending them to an authorized repair facility. They can at least determine if they are even repairable, and what it might cost.

If you were close to me, I could look at them for you. Where are you located?

Ok, well I can't help since I'm in Pennsylvania. I would guess that the output amp is blown out, at the very least. The problem with applying power to the video out is that the power can travel backwards, and take out multiple components. With all the surface mount components in electronics these days, any kind of damage is likely to be catastrophic and widespread. I know this is not what you wanted to hear but realistically, they are probably not repairable. Of course, don't take my word for it. Anything is possible. I would send just one of them to a repair facility, and get a diagnosis and repair estimate. It's likely that they will reccomend writing off the entire camera, but you never know.

I think they ran power to the BNC by accident or the wires touched the BNC.

To 7 different cameras? Ouch! that'll take the profit out of a job...

I spoke to the technician to get details. They did not turn off the power supply, crimped the end of the BNCs and well the two wires touched the BNC. He didn't realize that the power supply was still on until later on.

We purchased that same camera from ADI and had a couple of problems We sent them back to ADI and they handled the repairs Via BOsch I always have them call me first before they do repairs as I don't want to have more in a repaired camera than a new one. Is that tech looking for a job?

I had an installer working for me today short out 7 Bosch LTC 0455 cameras, they hooked up the power and bnc cable without shutting off the power supply.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to repair these cameras or what is damaged?

What does not make sense is how the power wire was crossed with coax cable... it will be very difficult to cross these wires to damage the camera. Something tells me that you may have used CAT5e cable with baluns and applied the power to the balun and then it connected to the camera. That is probably what happened, but then again, someone can surprise me otherwise.

How do you know for sure if these cameras were functional right out of the box? Has anyone tested them before the installation? It is not unusual to have batch of bad cameras, not probable when it is made by Bosch, but I have seen a batch of cameras from Bosch that were none functional out of the box and these were over 40 cameras in a batch (first eight did not even fire up except the domes). Bosch is great in solving these type problems and we were able to get all of the replaced in less than 48 hours without any questions.

Is it possible that this was a bad batch? As long as you have the original boxes, the invoice when you bought it, call their technical support and see what happens... At least you have a chance to have all of the replaced, rather than going through the other avenues explained above.