squale

How to view Geovision connected cameras on TV ?

Okay I just got my Geovision GV800-8 card and I will shortly be getting my cameras. My question is, I know I will only be able to view the cameras on my computer which the Geovision card is installed. And I will also be able to view them remotely over the internet by running the Geovision server on that same computer.. but my issue is, I want to be able to also view these cameras from the tv's in my home. These tv's do not have computers connected to them, so somehow I would like to wirelessly transmit the Geovision connected camera video to my regular TV's so if I am sitting on the couch, I can hit an input button on my tv's remote and instantly see my live cameras around my house and outside. Would be nice to be able to watch tv, hear the doorbell ring, hit the tv input button and see who is standing outside your door via your outside mounted camera connected to your Geovision card..

is this a possibility?

okay couple issues I see...

1.) I have a hardwired keyboard and mouse on my geovision computer. How do I control the keyboard and mouse from my living room? I saw it has an IR sender for wireless keyboard and mice, but that means I would need to have a wireless keybaord and mice receiver hooked into the computer. Which then means I will have 2 keyboards and mice hooked up to one computer which I don't think Windows XP allows you to do, but I could be wrong. (I will not use ONLY a wireless keyboard and mouse with the computer and then be carrying the keyboard and mice back and forth from office to living room, this would defeat the whole purpose if I have to get up off the couch I might as well just go into the office and look at the computer screen to see the outside cameras).

2.) This device just tranmits whatever is currently on the desktop of the computer? so if I have the Geovision softrware minimized and say I have internet explorer or microsoft word open on the computer, I will now have to close out of these applications and open up the Geovision software. I was looking for something more automated where you just hit an input button on the tv remote and it automatically shows JUST the geovision software with cameras screens... not the entire desktop, etc..

3.) I think the video quality might be really crappy with this device. Obviously it will always look better on a computer monitor but when it sends it wirelessly to the tv, I think the resolution will be very very crappy... I could be wrong..

Depends what you want to see?

If you want to view & control the computer from your living room then you need another option.

If you just want to view the computer screen then the PC sender is O.K and the images are quite good.

We have customers who use it to monitor what their children are doing on the Internet from their living room TV.

no I definately want the geovision card... one of my tv's has a computer hooked up to it, so I can always remote desktop to my geo computer and bring up the videos if I have too..

man, why you people make it so hard.

Look, if it's a 4 camera system, get a quad, then install a video modulator on the main line of the cable, and set it, let's say for channel 3 or 4, and what you do is take the camera lines coming into the dvr, split them with a "BNC T" connector, run one wire to the dvr, and one to the quad.

If it's more, pick up a cheap 9 ch Multiplexer from eBay, and do the same.

I mean, if all you want to do is see what's going on, not starting to look for videos, and check different cameras, this is a good way, because what I see that no one here is saying telling you that the quality of the image is not going to be that great.

yeah what herm said

Modulated video from CCTV is not going to be great anyway .. not like a direct input into the TV's AV input, and even then, not as good as using a CCTV monitor.

Look, if it's a 4 camera system, get a quad, then install a video modulator on the main line of the cable,

I agree. I am using a modified version of this senerio. My girlfriend loves it. When someone rings the doorbell she turns the TV to channel 76 to see who's there. Then if she wants she can intercom the door and have a conversation with them.

I am feeding the camera into a 4 channel RF modulator

http://www.smarthome.com/7704cm.html

then into a 3X8 Distribution panel

http://www.smarthome.com/7712.html

To feed 5 TV's throughout the house. I also feed the VCR/DVD player into the modulator.

Maybe you could use something like this if you have a video output on your PC's video card? I'd post a picture of all this rack mounted stuff if I had somewhere it host the picture...

email me it and ill post it on my site for you to link from ...

I have 2mb broadband so no worries in sending it to me

Channel Plus? I have used Channel Vision .. pretty expensive..

rory

This is my Intermediate Distribution Facility (IDF) The top 24 port Patch Panel actually serves up data cables to TV outlet locations. I can patch through a modem line for TIVO, cable boxes, satellite receivers, whatever. And of course I could patch through Ethernet, Line Level ins/outs, Or even IR emitters for whole house remote control. 3 of the data cables are feeders back to the Main Distribution Facility (MDF) that is on a back board in a closet that that is now full.

4 ft. swingout wall mount rack. I mounted the rack high enough to add a 3 footer swingout right below it.

Typical TV outlet 3 cat5e data (blue jacks)

and 2 RG6QS coaxial cables

Well, this isn't really typical because this is actually the

only TV hanging on a wall. It's in the office.

The RF panel supplys 2 RG6QS to each of 5 TV locations. And so far I have 4 RG59 Siamese cables terminated to this panel for CCTV. 2 cameras patch through to the RF modulator that is kind of difficult to see. (Hanging off the right side of rack in the lower right side of picture) Then the cables being used (and the Modulator output) are patched into the 3X8 distribution panel hanging off the left side of the rack in the lower left of the picture.

You can just see the tip of the antenna on a wireless linksys router in the middle of the rack picture. I don't use the routers' wireless. I have a much better outdoor AP I use. This shelf has modems, 2 routers and a little switch. Below that is another shelf that supports my notebook computer very nicely. But I will have to lower the upper shelf soon when I start phase II.

Whole house audio.

email me it and ill post it on my site for you to link from ...

I have 2mb broadband so no worries in sending it to me

Channel Plus? I have used Channel Vision .. pretty expensive..

rory

It's really expensive from that site. That site was the first google result. The RF modulator is very decent. Cheap Modulators pretty much suck. This one is 4 channels, stereo, IR repeaters, programmable to most CATV channels. FUnny thing is you can't use something like channel 95 through 99 for some reason. I'm using 72,74,76,78.

yeah same here, im using channel 76..

hmm, just went and bought a conch snack .. tasty yep, late dinner (thats a shell fish that inhabits the caribbean for those that dont know!)

Edited by Guest