slekkas

Which DVR card provides the BEST internet viewing quality?

I would like to know with DVR card is best to watch live feed from remote locations through the internet.

Thanks

Probably the card that can compress the video data most efficient using the best codec for network, I would say that some card using H.264 is a good start too look.

JD

I would like to know with DVR card is best to watch live feed from remote locations through the internet.

Thanks

Thanks for the answer.

In theory this is right but i would like the opinion of a professional they used many cards and from experience knows witch is best.

Anyone?

I would like to know for both standard and megapixel cameras. The Internet connections we have here in Greece are 2Mbps Download and 1Mbps Upload.

There are a number of cards and DVR's on the market that can do a lot of compression. The real question is how 'loss-less' they are, or how good the un-compressed images turn out to be. Having sold more than 15 different brands of card/DVR's in my career I have yet to see one that gives the image quality and relatively small file size of the proprietary Aztech compression. A little reading material here..

http://www.3xlogic.com/aztech

This also holds true on megapixel by taking an already compressed megapixel image and re-compressing it to obtain smaller file sizes with very little loss. There's a nice file size chart for you to look at here...

http://www.3xlogic.com/megapixel

Of course this type of system has a bandwidth throttle on it so you can define how much bandwidth the system uses so you can ultimately define how much you are going to use on the network.

I also remember the Telexper unit as being one of the ones that would send a 16 camera display with very small network requirements.

I also remember a couple of units, don't remember who made them, but they would send the 16 camera display as one image. The entire display was refreshed at one time and it wouldn't let you drill down to a single camera image, but it worked very well, even over old school 28.8k connections. Anyone in here remember who made those?

Hope that helps, or at least steers you in the right direction.

From my experience both Geovision and Hikvision DVR cards perform really well.

The more you go up on the range the better.

Also tried a DVR card for Linux OS from RapidOS and it was surprinsingly quick, even thou we had some glitches and bumps until we got the perfect setup.

Best Regards

Sergio Lapa

sanco.pt

I have used both Geovision and Hikvision, and can say hands down the Hikvision looks a ton better.

BUT, I have never tried Geovisions GV-2008 with hardware compression on board. I don't know if that is what makes the difference, but my Hikvision h.264 shows video that looks like NTSC (TV-OUT) quality.

I been selling Geovision for years and also Thakral and HikVision and today 90 % of the sales is HikVision due better video quality and good price.

The GV-2008 is a good card with good quality as well but the price is way over HikVision DS-4016HCI.

HikVision: Very good video quality, High Frame Rate, Price

Geovision: Good software

Solution: Buy both companies and have the geovision engineers make software for HikVIsion cards!

JD

I have used both Geovision and Hikvision, and can say hands down the Hikvision looks a ton better.

BUT, I have never tried Geovisions GV-2008 with hardware compression on board. I don't know if that is what makes the difference, but my Hikvision h.264 shows video that looks like NTSC (TV-OUT) quality.

The thing is, the CARD is only a small part of the equation. As Erron indicates, how the SOFTWARE deals with the video and the streaming of it has a much bigger effect on the overall quality, especially when viewing over the internet.

There is a few thing that determ the video quality:

1. The source itself, Camera, DVD palyer and so on

2. The cabling, distance etc.

3. The DVR: A)Resolution, B)Frames Per Second, C)Bitrate and D) the one thing that is hard to see/test other than have a look and that is the different standards and semi standards compression methods; Mpeg2, Mpeg4, MJPEG and H.264. (Compression rate)

4. Bandwith

5. Compression rate in for instance a Dual stream set up, 1 stream for High Quality local storage and 1 for network viewing with a lower quality/ more compressed data for viewing and then with an option to playback high quality stored files if needed.

For Geovision, all cards except GV-2004 and GV-2008 is heavily struck by high resolution and/or high Frame rate, Audio activated "steals" resources for local storage and frame rate also does network viewing inflict in high CPU usage which also would inflict on frame rate actually recorded.

In my opinion, all GV-Cards except the Combo and Hardware Compression cards is for home users and is not a professional system. Also the marketing is slightky unthru saying GV-1480 is a D1 400FPS system when the truth is that it is a 400FPS at CIF resolution. It is like saying that a car is using only 0,5 L per 10KM, but that only when you drive under 30KM/H all the time. If we bought a car and the marketing was 0,5L/10KM and we found out we had to drive under 30KM/H to achive that, then we wouldnt axcept that.

The hole industry have a strange way to "lie" to promote themself! This also comes too camera manufactures saying they have a Sony CCD chip camera with 540TVL when the highest SONY CCD Chip in production for CCTV cameras is 370TVL.

The industry should get standards on technical data!

JD

The thing is, the CARD is only a small part of the equation. As Erron indicates, how the SOFTWARE deals with the video and the streaming of it has a much bigger effect on the overall quality, especially when viewing over the internet.

There is a few thing that determ the video quality:

1. The source itself,

2. The cabling

3. The DVR:

4. Bandwith

5. Compression rate i

And don't forget number 6.) The subject. I've seen some pretty nasty looking shoplifters!

Regarding the GV and HIKVISION quote of join DVR, i couldn't agree more.

I also sell both in Portugal for some years.

GV software + HIKVision hardware would be the very best setup ever...

we use here provision cards..it gives good quility in internet remote..and in a week it will enable mobile streaming video remote..

We've been selling GeoVision for a very long time, and it can be configured to have very good network performance. I can stream 16 channels to my desktop and get 15-18 frames per channel at 320 x 240 with H.264 compression. MPEG4 gets an even higher framerate, with the trade-off being bandwidth.

IndigoVision will use 50% less bandwidth than others but is not a DVR. Its an IP solution.

No reason why you can't just install all the gear in one location ussing 10channel encoder racks.

As an example you can get real time from 1 camera and contol PTZ at 128Kbps.

I have some customers viewing at 2ips on 32Kbps

You can also record on site in 25ips 4CIF at 4Mbps h.264 and stream off site at CIF at any other setting you like such as 5ips 64Kbps