jonesk

power over coax?

Gentlemen,

I have a customer looking to install 4 cctv systems in 4 different locations. Each system will have 4 cams (PTZ) and a dvr. I have access to watchnet, extreme and Bosch. The problem in this system is the stores have already been prewired, but the guy who did it only pulled an RG-6 and 22/2 to each cam location. No way to pull or fish any more wires without serious damage.

Anyone have any cost effective solutions to run either power and video over coax or control and video over coax?

Thanks

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!

I AM AN UNTRAINED AMATURE BEGINNER WITH NO YEARS OF COLLEGE TRAINING.

TINKERER BEWARE!!!!!

This is not pointed to the person who posted this, and is only said to those who come here from a search engine.

OK! enought of the legalese!

Using the ground of the coax you now can use the two conductor as two separte wires.

Only you can tell if this will work for you. If you do not have an electronice background then do not attempt this at all!!!!

Ask someone to help you.

With the red wire make this your +, and the coax braid your -.

With the black wire make this your data +.

This probably will not work if the RS232 needs to have a "floating" ground.

If the RS232 works with the - tied to the coax ground then you are good to go.

If you are not electronically oriented then do NOT PUT THE 12 VOLTS + ON THE COAX BRAID! POOF! NOW YOU HAVE DONE IT!

What do you think?

My dad's a T.V. repairman, and he's got an awesome set of tools! I can fix it!

Spicoli Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Edited by Guest

You might be able to do that with a large electrolytic capacitor and choke at each end. This would only work with DC cameras.

Put the caps in series from the video source to the center conductor and from the center conductor to the termination. At the junction of the cap and the center conductor, put a choke to the camera power input (+). At the other end, a choke to the power supply (+). Tie all grounds and (-) together to the shields.

It might work. Sorry, I can't draw it.

What you're looking to do with the power is more commonly known as "phantom power" and is very common for audio (usually used to power condenser microphones)... but I'm not aware of anything that does it for video. It should be possible, but may require some hacking (as evidenced above). PoE operates on a similar concept.

OR, you could simply look for gear that supports Coaxitron protocol, which runs PTZ control over the coax. That may limit you a bit, as I believe it's dependent on the hardware itself - the only place I've seen it in use was with a specific brand and model of MUX that fed the signal over the coax, and took control input from a joystick/keyboard plugged into the MUX. I think it was all Capture equipment.

Found one!

Sony YSW270A Power Over Coax Adaptor

99428_1.jpg

Four camera power adaptor. Applicable models that may be used with the power over coax feature are: SSC-DC50A and the SSC-DC590. This unit provides DC power and power/sync signal between the adaptor and the cameras over a single coaxial cable. Two (2) isolated video outputs per camera are provided on the YS-W270A. Maximum cable distance between the camera and the adaptor using an RG-59B/U coaxial cable is 300 meters.

I found something made by a company called foresight-cctv its their vds2730 model. I would post a link but as I am new, Im not allowed yet.

Google for SNT DUO Link, there is a full range of products.

I have one that allows two cameras, power for both, and a couple of contact closure signal wires over one single coax...

There's a new standard coming out called AVIIA. It's based on SDI which is uncompressed 1080p/60 or 3G.

It from a company called Gennum. website is gennum (dot) com

This technology allows for power over coax and back channel for PTZ control or anything else you want.

I'm not sure who's got product yet, but I think there's an Everclear or Everfocus or ever-something in Taiwan.

power over coax doesnt sound good to me..

u could do pelco coaxitron or bosch bilinx for control over the coax. as for power, 22ga is small, better get a beefy power supply or hopefully the cameras wont be too far away from their power source.

you could get a bosch divar-2 that has bilinx built in.

I think you guys are making it a little to difficult... Why not make the RS232/ RS422 wireless? You could share the low voltage AC/ DC power for the camera for the adapter.

why not just keep it simple and use biwave connectors power/video/sound upto 500meters over coax

http://www.secure.no/files/Biwave/BI-2100_2200.pdf

Cool! I didn't know something like that existed for CCTV! Where do you get it? None of my suppliers carry it. Biwave.com no workie either.

When I was in broadcast we used similar technology that carried camera power, video, 2-way intercom, spot video, and audio all in one coax. The special triax cable was sure expensive though! Just one kink was enough to get you fired!

why not just keep it simple and use biwave connectors power/video/sound upto 500meters over coax

Cool! I didn't know something like that existed for CCTV! Where do you get it? None of my suppliers carry it. Biwave.com no workie either.

When I was in broadcast we used similar technology that carried camera power, video, 2-way intercom, spot video, and audio all in one coax. The special triax cable was sure expensive though! Just one kink was enough to get you fired!

Never mind! The site works. Check out what I found... http://biwave89.myweb.hinet.net/product/product2700.htm

You can put RS485, alarm, power, and a/v all one one coax. I bet you could use thre RS485 connections for RS422/ RS232 for the ptz.

in the uk it is £30 with power unit.....thats video/sound/power. if you have problems getting the unit i could ship some to a cctv company who is a friend of mine in westvirginia.