Well. my co-worked installed another 3155 yesterday... went to tighten down the yaw locking screws, and they went all the way through the ring and fell out the back. WTF???

Currently installing a bunch of Arecont 5110 and already have a very hot camera. they tell me to update the firmware, but im pretty sure is a bad camera.

Also have a few 8185 in the mix and the device no longer shows up even in the installer. they tell me to unplug it from the switch, well the switch is in a IDF 25 feet up.

I'm still baffled that their design (at least in the 3155) requires (okay, recommends) that you install a choke on the UTP as well... then they give you one that JUST BARELY fits inside the dome. I've never, ever, EVER seen a camera before that needed this. It just screams "half-assed design".

I'm still baffled that their design (at least in the 3155) requires (okay, recommends) that you install a choke on the UTP as well... then they give you one that JUST BARELY fits inside the dome. I've never, ever, EVER seen a camera before that needed this. It just screams "half-assed design".

Usually, when any manufacturer goes to get UL certification, they take a handful of ferrite chokes.

If the product doesn't quite meet interference generation specifications, they add the choke. If that works, the choke becomes a "required" part to supply with the product.

I haven't used them on any (about ten, so far) 5155 domes I've installed, and nothing (OK, nothing worse than usual, with Arecont) has happened.

^I understand WHY the choke is included... I just think it's weak design that it's even needed, when no other IP dome I've seen has included one.

Well I am meeting with a company to do a 30+ camera Arecont install so I will let you know how this goes.

Wireguys, how would you go with that many Areconts in a control room environment?

1. How many Areconts at 2MP, 3MP or 5MP @ native res, low - medium compression (H.264) can you effectivley display on each monitor on a 2 monitor workstation?

2. Would you be able to stream and view all 30 effectivley on a workstation?

If so, what VMS are you using? If not, what are the limitations?

Cheers.

Well I am meeting with a company to do a 30+ camera Arecont install so I will let you know how this goes.

Wireguys, how would you go with that many Areconts in a control room environment?

1. How many Areconts at 2MP, 3MP or 5MP @ native res, low - medium compression (H.264) can you effectivley display on each monitor on a 2 monitor workstation?

Cheers.

At this point I don't know any specs of the system it is not my project I was just contacted to design and install the system. All I know is it 30+ Arecont cameras and Exacq Software. I know Arecont and Exacq very well so am happy to take on this project.

Check out this video with 4 monitors and Exacq.

Is it possible that your distributor have you a batch of cameras that were returned to them from a previous job? The only reason I ask is, I have had the same thing happen to me. It was obvious I got a batch of open box returns on some dome cameras I got, they were obviously used, although they did work, but I was ticked. Either way, it sounds like you had a bad experience.

Read the whole thread, Sean - there are pictures of the damage. Some of these had parts assembled in the wrong order. Some had setscrews that were drilled but never stamped with the hex shape. These are manufacturing-level issues, not "re-packing" damage.

The worst part is, Arecont didn't even want to accept them from ADI after I brought them back - they insisted that I should have called them from site and gone through troubleshooting steps on the phone before bringing them back to the wholesaler. It took our ADI rep screaming at them about the PHYSICAL DAMAGE for them to begrudgingly take them back.

Someone mentioned firmware issues with Acti in the other thread... these are no better. I've had some cameras that had issues that were fixed with a firmware update... subsequent units that were already at the newer firmware level when we got them and still had the issues. Vigil has weird problems with some Areconts, partially cropping the image on some streams... works fine on some cameras, but not on others with the same firmware. One Vigil developer said Arecont's SDK is horrible to work with. These have nothing to do with re-packing either...

If this is true then it sure sounds like someone at Arecont is doing all the right things to help lose customers quickly. That's sad considering I heard some good things about Areconts image quality.

Getting bad merchandise that needs to be returned can tick off a customer.

Getting bad merchandise that the manufacturer refuses to accept back is a sure way to doubly irritate the customer.

The worst part is, Arecont didn't even want to accept them from ADI after I brought them back - they insisted that I should have called them from site and gone through troubleshooting steps on the phone before bringing them back to the wholesaler. It took our ADI rep screaming at them about the PHYSICAL DAMAGE for them to begrudgingly take them back.

That's the thing, they actually have a decent picture... but not good enough to justify the headache. Especially since they're definitely not the BEST image for the price.

What bad experience did you have?

Arecont never Fails to Fail.

High failure rates across the board. 8362's, 10005DN's, 3135's, you name it I have seen it. Including quite a few that have failed right out of the box.

It appears that they are doing a bit better now, but for a company that really pioneered the main stream megapixel IP market I feel that they should be above and beyond any of their current competitors. They make a decent product, but they really need to work on their failure rate.

This thread's over a year old. This spring I unboxed 80 Areconts and only had one issue where a screw was below a retaining ring, easily fixable. Overall I bet we're sending <1% back to the factory for out of the box problems, and <3% back for warranty issues in the first year.

My only complaints:

1. Their programming tool only let me connect 1 camera a time, which wasn't a huge deal in the office but could be an issue if an electrician installed them all in the field and then we came in to program them after the fact. They do include a CD with the programming utility along with 3 hand tools for adjusting and setting up the camera in every box now.

2. Even with static IPs set and locked, every once in awhile they like to randomly forget their IP. We've had this issue at multiple sites with both Genetec and DVTeL head ends, yet Arecont still claims it's impossible.

I still like the cameras. Outside of the IP issue, everything else are minor headaches we get with any manufacturer.

Thanks for your feedback on my thread (Arecont or Act) but I wanted to see which cams you would recommend (IP) currently in the same sort of price range ?

Thanks

That's the thing, they actually have a decent picture... but not good enough to justify the headache. Especially since they're definitely not the BEST image for the price.

Hi there

I see you posted some feedback on my thread (Arecont or Acti) and just wanted to reach out as there has been comments both for and against. Are the Areconts reliable and give good image for the value or based on the fact that you use multiple cams from different manufacturers is there a better solution/image in IP around that price range. Really trying to hone in on a solution for my house and am torn between Analog and IP (although leaning towards IP due to me technology background) and would appreciate your feedback.

I also have a couple of direct questions as well:

1) The Exacq software, that runs on a Mac ? What is the cost of the software ?

2) With the Arecont bullet cams I know they are made for cable through mount but in situations where I cannot mount (cannot drill hole directly behind camera position) is there an option (notch etc in the mount) so I can run CAT 5 up to it ?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer, I really want to get started on this but its been a nightmare so far

WC

Cheers.

At this point I don't know any specs of the system it is not my project I was just contacted to design and install the system. All I know is it 30+ Arecont cameras and Exacq Software. I know Arecont and Exacq very well so am happy to take on this project.

Check out this video with 4 monitors and Exacq.

2) With the Arecont bullet cams I know they are made for cable through mount but in situations where I cannot mount (cannot drill hole directly behind camera position) is there an option (notch etc in the mount) so I can run CAT 5 up to it ?

With the HSG1-O-W housing it's easy to drill a hole in the side or bottom of the mount with a step drill bit for cable access.

We do this often on the outside of industrial buildings so we only need one penetration to cover multiple cameras mounted to a concrete exterior.

Thanks for your feedback on my thread (Arecont or Act) but I wanted to see which cams you would recommend (IP) currently in the same sort of price range ?

We've been using these recently: http://www.3xlogic.com/prod/1053/visix-series-ip-camera-solutions - primarily the VSX-2MP-VD model, and a few of the VSX-2MP-D indoor dome (not as pleased with these, they have stranger flicker issues under fluorescent lights). They have some minor installation annoyances, but that's really all they are: annoyances, nothing that's a deal-breaker like the Areconts I've used.

We've been using these recently: http://www.3xlogic.com/prod/1053/visix-series-ip-camera-solutions - primarily the VSX-2MP-VD model, and a few of the VSX-2MP-D indoor dome (not as pleased with these, they have stranger flicker issues under fluorescent lights). They have some minor installation annoyances, but that's really all they are: annoyances, nothing that's a deal-breaker like the Areconts I've used.

Those look like a Hikvision relabel to me. Some of the accessory part numbers are even the same or close. Take the VSX- off of the VSX-DS-1217ZJ wall mount for the outdoor domes, and it's a Hikvision part number. Appearance and design are the same, too.