I've started using some of the Hikvision DS-2CD752MF series cameras since Sanyo went under, and I've been fairly pleased with them. Reasonably easy install (if you take out that massive pigtail cable that you usually don't need), decent picture, decent price.

Only issue so far is that with the IR equipped models, you can short out the IR assembly against the pivot ball assembly when trying to turn them to parallel a wall while wall mounted (they will not quite turn to view flush to a wall when past about halfway zoomed in).

BTW, the engrish in the new firmware is better, much nicer interface, as well as having working ONVIF operation (I've tested it with Milestone and Avigilon ONVIF plugin, and it works ok.)

I have just picked up 6 used (2006) Arecont AV2100's, overall not bad considering the $115 each they cost. No Night ability but pretty good in daytime. Was told they were used for a "Google Earth" type app.

So I decided to pick up a couple of NIB AR5105DN's. Figured 2MP to 5MP I should be blown away, right? Forget it, real disappointment! The resolution is not at all what the YouTube videos show or info I've seen. Here's some of the "Save as picture" grabs off my screen. They looked the same way in real life. Resolution at Full or Half and JPEG quality at 21, even fiddled with the Web Browser interface which is where the pics came from. What am I doing something wrong or is this crappy color resolution what I can expect. I've seen as good pics off old Costar CCD2500HX PTZ'z. And thanks to this forum I now know what that allen wrench is for, no instructions in the box.

Any help is appreciated because I might be stuck with these. BTW if I look inside where the lens screws in the board says AV5100, but firmware says AV5105.

169710_1.jpg

AV5105 Half Resolution JPEG quality 21

169710_2.jpg

AV5105 Full Resolution JPEG quality 21

169710_3.jpg

AV2100(2006)Full Resolution JPEG quality 21

169710_4.jpg

AV2100 (2006) Half Resolution JPEG quality 21

Not quite the quality as seen in this web example:

169710_5.jpg

www.ezcctv.com/product/AV5105DN-568.htm

Edited by Guest

They are straight off the Web interface in the firmware. I double checked. They didn't seem any better than the AV2100. Double checked on the half/Full Resolution etc. Like I mentioned when you peek inside the front board says AV5100. These are brand new with current firmware. What do you think the problem is. Pics were pulled off the Arecont camera IE interfase by clicking "save as picture" and the saved files looked the same way as live view.

All those pics are only 800x600. 2MP should be around 1920x1080. IE is just saving the picture as it's displayed, not the full-size video frame.

What are you using to focus? Are you using a focus chart?

It also depends on the lens you use just like a SLR camera.

I have not had a chance to try one yet but when i have a chance I will.

With most lenses and cameras just like a normal camera you have a focal point somewhere in your viewing area. Normally the spot you really want to watch. These lenses are supposed to make the whole area super clean.

http://www.gbosecurity.com/home.asp

http://www.global-bionic-optics.com/products/gbo_infinity_lens.asp

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gay8gE-lRtc

Thanks

So is my resolution problem one of the Flat panel I'm displaying it on? The computer displays HiRez from the web or Youtube fine. These captures were off a Notebook Computer but the resolution didn't appear any better on a 1080P Flat Panel Computer Monitor. Plus the color appears washed out . 2560 x 1600 is what the below image reads when checking properties, but is reduced when saved as JPG. How do I capture it at full rez for you to look at of the screen? Pic looks the same as far as color and rez in the JPG here.

Lens is the Arecont supplied MPL 4-10 (F1.6/4.5-10mm1/2")

01.jpg

Upload it to its true format. Do not convert it to any other format. Does it save it as an original bitmap file? If so, you can get those hosted for free at photobucket

Yeah, don't forget after you're done, to uninstall the Arecont NVR that it installs for you without ever asking your permission.

Yeah, don't forget after you're done, to uninstall the Arecont NVR that it installs for you without ever asking your permission.

Not saying that it is perfect but its a lot better then remembering all the IP address of your cameras and logging into each one of them.

Considering that's something that needs to be done maybe 2 or 3 times during setup, and then probably never again... it doesn't bother me too much.

Having to uninstall redundant, irrelevant software that's put on without my permission and set to auto-start, just to use the setup tool... THAT bothers me.

I installed the cameras using the AV100 mini disc. It looks like all it installed was the AV application manager which I used to setup cameras. The actual video setup is only available on the cameras IE interface where you have "About""Image""H.264" etc on the top left bar. This is the way I had it set up before. I've tried saving as a bitmap and now it indicates a11MB file at 2560x1600 (Full Res at 21 JPEG Quality) and 2.92MB at 1280x800 (Half Res at 21 JPEG Quality). Tomorrow I'll set the camera outdoors and save a pic, upload it to Photo bucket so maybe you guys can tell me if it's performing as it should. Really hoping I screwed things up as I can't believe the color depth is so poor and resolution nowhere near what I believe 5MP should be.

BTW I'm setting these up using a Synology NAS DS111 and DS209, using their Surveillance Station 5. Works great so far, still ironing at port forwarding etc. Even though I had to buy 2 4 camera license packs ($140 each) it still seems like a very cost effective NVR solution PLUS all the other features of the Synology DSM 3.2 interface. Also using an Axis 241Q with a couple of Costar CCD2500HX PTZ's. Sean at Nelly's is familiar with them; they work even better than his video shows! Setting up both of our shops, updating really, security and offsite monitoring.Thanks Again!!

It looks like all it installed was the AV application manager which I used to setup cameras. The actual video setup is only available on the cameras IE interface where you have "About""Image""H.264" etc on the top left bar.

This is false. Looks like you only went to the IP setup and not into the NVR/camera setup. Always setup Arecont cameras form the AV100 software.

It looks like all it installed was the AV application manager which I used to setup cameras. The actual video setup is only available on the cameras IE interface where you have "About""Image""H.264" etc on the top left bar.

This is false. Looks like you only went to the IP setup and not into the NVR/camera setup. Always setup Arecont cameras form the AV100 software.

Nope!! After the cameras install the manual says to hit the "Live Video" button. It's greyed out, no can do. This is on the current version and the one before it that came on the disc.

Here's the pics in full resolution as Bmp's on Photobucket. Uploaded a 11MB file to Photobucket but apparently it's saved as a smaller JPG. Still pretty bad.

AV5105DN Full Resolution 21JPEG Quality

169830_1.jpg

AV5105DN Half Resolution 21JPEG Quality

169830_2.jpg

Thats not full resolution bro. If it was full rez, it would be huge and would not fit on the computer screen once you click on it. Actually for a little Jpeg image, it doesnt look that bad.

If you launched AV100, found the cameras, and installed them correctly so they are listed in the top half panel of the install screen, then save/exit, you should be able to run the live video view. Running AV100 5.6.4.71 here with no problem...

Here's the pics in full resolution as Bmp's on Photobucket. Uploaded a 11MB file to Photobucket but apparently it's saved as a smaller JPG. Still pretty bad.

AV5105DN Full Resolution 21JPEG Quality

169830_1.jpg

AV5105DN Half Resolution 21JPEG Quality

169830_2.jpg

Possible reasons for the image quality issues...

-- lens not good.

-- iris not adjusted properly for depth of focus (dof looks pretty bad in those images)

-- running Arecont on default image settings (brightness, sharpness, saturation, gamma). Arecont @ default typically looks bland, soft, and dim; need to tune and save to flash in AV100.

It doesnt appear that the image quality is that incredibly bad. The problem is, those pictures are not in full resolution.