Especially on those analog cameras you are so fond of.

I hate all cameras equally.

When the suspect has a mask there is not a camera on this earth that will ID the suspect.

Re browser apps, you are limited to what the browser will allow you to do.

When I see something that only has a browser app and no real software, It makes me chuckle.

Especially on those analog cameras you are so fond of.

I hate all cameras equally.

When the suspect has a mask there is not a camera on this earth that will ID the suspect.

When I see something that only has a browser app and no real software, It makes me chuckle.

+100000000

You won't setup Axis without software.

Unfortunately, nobody told me that when I used a web browser to set up my Axis P3344.

Well that explains it. You set up ONE camera.

Do you actually do this for a living?

Just wondering

When you do systems that spread across entire campuses, cites and even across the state get back to me and your opinion will be valid.

Edited by Guest

When you have 50 cameras plugged into a network you need to set up, decent software is pretty nice to find the camera and assign an IP to it.

With Arecont I find I can only connect and set up a few cameras at a time in their software though or it starts assigning the wrong IPs to the wrong cameras... it also often reports the camera model/version wrong until it's been set up and "added to remote unit". I can deal with the quirks, but it seems like a pretty basic thing we're using it for... you'd think they could release a standalone bug free utility to do it better.

Also I believe with Areconts, to do any real tweaking to the camera the software takes you to the web interface for it.

You won't setup Axis without software.

Unfortunately, nobody told me that when I used a web browser to set up my Axis P3344.

Well that explains it. You set up ONE camera.

Do you actually do this for a living?

Where did you get that idea?

When you do systems that spread across entire campuses, cites and even across the state get back to me and your opinion will be valid.

My opinion is every bit as valid as yours. For my situation, having to install software that I'll never use just so I can perform a one-time setup on one camera is annoying. I can see the value of the software for your situation; why can't you see the uselessness of that software for mine?

Really? Like what?

The web interface on my Axis P3344 has dozens of pages and seems pretty complete. Yet you claim something is missing - what is it?

Oh and lets see you find a camera on the network that you don't know the IP of with your web browser.

The procedure goes something like this:

1) Look at the label on the camera, obtain camera's MAC address.

2) Add MAC address to the DHCP config file, and assign it a known IP address.

3) Boot the camera.

4) Launch web browser, point it to IP address determined in Step 2.

It's really not so hard if you know what you're doing.

Oh and lets see you find a camera on the network that you don't know the IP of with your web browser.

3) Boot the camera.

Yes, u have point

but do u really believe average users can follow your instructions

and also I could be wrong but ssmith10pn was not referring to you

Also only works if you have access to the dhcp servers, not always the case if it isn't your network. You just get a list of IPs you can use, and later on they want a list of MAC's.

3) Boot the camera.

?? why not just load everything into the DHCP reservation table and skip step 4? Also this is still a huge waste of time.

Really? Like what?

The web interface on my Axis P3344 has dozens of pages and seems pretty complete. Yet you claim something is missing - what is it?

Try watching 64 cameras from multiple sites inside a web browser and see what happens.

And can your browser do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDpWVA-VQIw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-MQ5ZIb0h0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQxk8nXKxqQ

Really? Like what?

not to mention your users have to get past issues like various compatibility issues, not having the latest browser, and if it uses activeX or some other plugin it still needs software to be installed even if its in the background.

Also only works if you have access to the dhcp servers, not always the case if it isn't your network. You just get a list of IPs you can use, and later on they want a list of MAC's.

Exactly.

Most big corporate networks have no DHCP. And the VLAN depends on what closet the cable goes back to.

The one facility I have in my head that I work on has about 45 closets across 4 campuses in 4 cities.

City A: 10.1.xxx.xxx

City B: 10.2.xxx.xxx

City C: 10.21.xxx.xxx

City D: 10.22.xxx.xxx

Not to mention your Laptop is not permitted on their network so you have to VPN in from the outside.

The software is a tool, just like a crimper, or a screwdriver. Get over it.

3) Boot the camera.

?? why not just load everything into the DHCP reservation table and skip step 4? Also this is still a huge waste of time.

Well, I consider it a huge waste of time to install a software package that I'm only going to use for 5 minutes and then uninstall, never to be used again.

I don't mean to belabor this discussion. I simply wanted to say that all of my IP cams can be (and were) configured using the procedure I outlined above; only the Arecont camera required me to install their software in order to configure it.

I think we can all agree that it's better to have the choice of whether to use the software or the web browser.

Soundy directed me to this topic.

Now I know I am going to be called a 'smart-alec' here but, whenever I get new equipment delivered, the first thing I do is give it a 'shake-down' over 24 hours to prove that everything works OK. That means that I set it up, plug it in and switch it on for 24 hours.

I would have thought that the testing of brand new cameras etc. back at the workshop would have been a basic tenet for the Installers.

Perhaps the rare malfunction does not justify the extra labour of pretesting equipment? The trouble would be that a serious failure, like the Arecont, would be a time consuming annoyance to fix.

Always on the lookout for the new ******

That's a great idea, but it assumes that the equipment is actually given to you with enough lead time for testing, rather than being dropped off a couple before you're supposed to be on-site... or worse, drop-shipped TO site.

Always on the lookout for the new ******

You were given some links. You're free to leave any time.

when 200 cameras are drop shipped to a site and installed by a sub, regardless of brand, you just assume your tech's will be replacing a few when they get there.

when 200 cameras are drop shipped to a site and installed by a sub, regardless of brand, you just assume your tech's will be replacing a few when they get there.

When you're talking four cameras, provided to you by your employer, and given to you before heading to site, well... you hope that they all work when you unpack them.

Realistically, bench-testing 200 cameras for 24 hours each before deployment isn't really viable unless you're a large integrator with your own dedicated QA shop... and even then, I don't think it's reasonable for an integrator to have to be constantly on the lookout for a manufacturer's shortcomings. One SHOULD be able to expect the vast majority of equipment to work as delivered. 2-3% failure rate, sure... 50%?? NOT acceptable.

When you're talking four cameras, provided to you by your employer, and given to you before heading to site, well... you hope that they all work when you unpack them.

Realistically, bench-testing 200 cameras for 24 hours each before deployment isn't really viable unless you're a large integrator with your own dedicated QA shop... and even then, I don't think it's reasonable for an integrator to have to be constantly on the lookout for a manufacturer's shortcomings. One SHOULD be able to expect the vast majority of equipment to work as delivered. 2-3% failure rate, sure... 50%?? NOT acceptable.

I'm not sure it is even a good use of time to bench test ALL incoming gear, the time spent at that might exceed the time replacing a FEW defective cameras...The operative word there being a few, if you really have that much defective product coming in, you might want to rethink what product you're using.

I tend to bench test product when it is either an exceptionally strange product mix, or the customer site is a significant distance away, and especially if I will not have remote access to the system later (prisons definitely fall in to this category).

I will say that when I did a recent install almost three hours away, I pre-programmed and bench tested everything (NVR, wireless gear, switches, and cameras) fully configured as it would be on site.

And, to tie this back into the original posting, I did this install with Avigilon products.... I would have been afraid to put Arecont product there.

I am a network tech put in charge of cameras. We have about 300 of the arecont 1355's a few 3155's and some 8180's. I have been working here a year and probably replaced 30 cameras. I think they are junk. Most of them failing just outside the warranty period. My last job i was also in charge of cameras and they were arecont's same thing, failing between 1-2 years.

I am in the middle of purchasing these to replace them

ACTi TCM 7411 Outdoor

AXIS M3204 Indoor

ACTi KCM7911 180° camera Outdoor

I have heard nothing but good things from busineses and schools, about AXIS and ACTi.

I will let you know how it goes.

I just got a Acti KCM-3911 in for testing and I am disappointed. If you have any sky or sun in the FOV everything is washed out. Also they only have 3 motion detection windows which are useless for objects that are far away. Sensitivity is set to 95 and threshold is set to 1 and I am missing lots of motion events plus at night time it records constantly because of all the noise. Night time performance is not so good too not that I expected it to be.