It looks like all it installed was the AV application manager which I used to setup cameras. The actual video setup is only available on the cameras IE interface where you have "About""Image""H.264" etc on the top left bar.

This is false. Looks like you only went to the IP setup and not into the NVR/camera setup. Always setup Arecont cameras form the AV100 software.

Nope!! After the cameras install the manual says to hit the "Live Video" button. It's greyed out, no can do. This is on the current version and the one before it that came on the disc.

I am sorry but you are doing something wrong.

Wow, it just gets better and better...

One of my AV3100DNs on a site isn't showing up in Vigil, but it IS online and working... I want to remote-reboot the camera, but there doesn't appear to be any way to do that: nothing in the camera's web interface, nothing in the setup software. STOOOOOPID.

Thought maybe I'd check for a new firmware, but ARECONT DOESN'T APPEAR TO PUT FIRMWARE UPDATES ON THEIR WEBSITE. LAAAAAAAAME!

I hate these cameras so much...

Thanks, John... I did find the second link via Google... oddly, I don't recall it offering the FirmwareLoader file that's so prominent on the first one.

I had a 3100 that eorked flawless on a Geovision System for over a year.

I removed it from the Geovision System (Mouse Click) and added it to Avigilon. Now it errors out about once a week and has to be power cycled.

Thanks for the firmware link. I'll see if an update will take care of it.

Considering that's something that needs to be done maybe 2 or 3 times during setup, and then probably never again... it doesn't bother me too much.

Having to uninstall redundant, irrelevant software that's put on without my permission and set to auto-start, just to use the setup tool... THAT bothers me.

I gotta agree with this.

I have used several brands of IP cameras and all can be set up without the use of special software (they get an IP address via DHCP, and then you log onto the embedded web server to configure the settings). My Arecont is the only exception to this. I understand that it may help an installer doing 50 cameras at once, but when you're doing a onesey-twosey install it's a PITA.

Another problem with some Areconts (including my AV1310DN) is a bug in the MJPEG firmware. They are inserting some extra junk into each frame right before the end-of-image marker. I'm using the standard release of libjpeg to decode these frames, and it spits out an error message for every single frame - you can imagine what that does to a log file. I ended up having to patch the code to ignore this particular error so that my disk would stop being hammered by error messages.

Thanks to this thread I see there are some firmware updates for these cameras. Unfortunately they have no release notes, so there's no way for me to know what they changed or fixed with the new FW. Lame, lame, lame!!!

To end on a positive note, however, my Arecont has been in service for about a year now with no other issues. It has even survived being dropped - twice - with no apparent ill effects. And it has a feature that is essential to my purpose: a fixed-rate, high-speed shutter option which lets me set a 1/1000 shutter speed to capture blur-free images of license plates on passing vehicles.

I have used several brands of IP cameras and all can be set up without the use of special software (they get an IP address via DHCP, and then you log onto the embedded web server to configure the settings).

Name some cameras you can setup without software in a static IP environment.

If you only do a few cameras at a time then good for you. Try doing a job with hundreds of cameras from a web browser and constantly changing the IP address of your laptop.

I have used several brands of IP cameras and all can be set up without the use of special software (they get an IP address via DHCP, and then you log onto the embedded web server to configure the settings).

Name some cameras you can setup without software in a static IP environment.

If you only do a few cameras at a time then good for you. Try doing a job with hundreds of cameras from a web browser and constantly changing the IP address of your laptop.

All of them. It's just a lot easier to use software at times. Vivotek for example, doesn't have an incremental IP changer in its camera finder software which means that you have to manually configure each one.

All of them.

Avigilon doesn't even have a web browser.

You won't setup Axis without software.

Avigilon camera does have web GUI

but we don't have to use at all

as u know all can be done by software

from camera discovery to setup

All of them.

Avigilon doesn't even have a web browser.

Avigilon camera does have web GUI

but we don't have to use at all

as u know all can be done by software

from camera discovery to setup

Not all of them do.

I can't remember the last time I setup a camera from the web interface. Nor do I ever wanna do it that way again.

To each his own. If you don't mind cluttering up your laptop with software from each and every camera manufacturer you deal with, more power to ya.

I can't remember the last time I setup a camera from the web interface. Nor do I ever wanna do it that way again.

To each his own. If you don't mind cluttering up your laptop with software from each and every camera manufacturer you deal with, more power to ya.

No need to install any extra software

Unfortunately, nobody told me that when I used a web browser to set up my Axis P3344.

same here