cglaeser

Avigilon on Atom Server

if your running 4 5mp on a core i5 and are logged into the server using the gateway i think the cpu is gonna work harder? so the server might be fine recording like 20 cams but when you ask the gateway to work your gonna tax the system more? right?

processors cpu mark all comes down to mbps recording rate. so a cpu with a 3000 mark is good for what like 100mbps recording with overhead for the gateway?

I have not done any cpu load measurements, but I run the gateway on an Atom with no problem. All encoding is done by the cameras and video encoders, and all decoding is done by the client. The server is maintaining/accessing the video database. It is apparent that Avigilon has an extremely efficient implementation for the video library.

Perhaps if there are 96 cameras and a large number of employees are all accessing video on their iOS devices at the same time, perhaps the gateway introduces a load, and perhaps that's why Avigilon recommends running the gateway on a separate box. I can only guess as to the motivation. But with a modest number of cameras, the gateway seems to run just fine, even on an Atom.

Best,

Christopher

if your running 4 5mp on a core i5 and are logged into the server using the gateway i think the cpu is gonna work harder? so the server might be fine recording like 20 cams but when you ask the gateway to work your gonna tax the system more? right?

processors cpu mark all comes down to mbps recording rate. so a cpu with a 3000 mark is good for what like 100mbps recording with overhead for the gateway?

For small camera counts you can run the gateway on the same server BUT Avigilon strongly recommends that the Gateway be installed on a separate machine.

what would the specs be on that machine then? whats a small camera count ? under 16? does the resolution of cameras effect the gateway power needs?

does the resolution of cameras effect the gateway power needs?

This is speculation on my part, but I think this is close to the mark. The gateway does not do any decoding. Much like the server can connect to a remote client, the gateway provides an interface between the server and remote devices, but it doesn't do any processing of the streams.

Some Avigilon servers are connected to a large number of IP MP cameras. Again, this is speculation on my part, but I'm guessing Avigilon is concerned that if customers add the gateway to these systems with the expectation of hitting with a large number of remote devices, it could overload the system, so they strongly recommend the gateway be put on a different system. For large installs, this is not a problem. Just add one more blade and install the gateway.

As I have said several times above, these are guesses on my part. I will say that the gateway is running on small installs with no problem.

Best,

Christopher

For small camera counts you can run the gateway on the same server BUT Avigilon strongly recommends that the Gateway be installed on a separate machine.

what would the specs be on that machine then? whats a small camera count ? under 16? does the resolution of cameras effect the gateway power needs?

The Gateway is transcoding the video so that is why it uses the CPU power. I have 3 cameras on my demo atom server and when I view with my Andriod device the CPU is maxed out but the video on the Andriod client works flawlessly but I would not sell this setup without upgrading the CPU.

Here are the system requirements for the Gateway server.

Operating System - Windows XP SP2, Windows XP SP2 x64, Windows Vista 32-bit or 64-bit, Windows Server 2003 SP2, Windows Server 2008, or Windows 7.

Processor - Quad Core 2.0 GHz

System RAM - 4 GB DDR2

Hard Drive Capacity - 500 MB

The Gateway is transcoding the video so that is why it uses the CPU power. I have 3 cameras on my demo atom server and when I view with my Andriod device the CPU is maxed out but the video on the Andriod client works flawlessly but I would not sell this setup without upgrading the CPU.

OK, thanks, that's good to know.

Best,

Christopher

mike which cams are those? i'm thinking based on your recording parameters, resolution and bit rate it could have significant effects on the gateway when accessed

I can do some tests but I don't think it will be as substantial as you think. Bottom line I wouldn't sell this to customers and I recommend you test yourself before you sell it and have to explain to the customer that you have to sell them another computer for the Gateway.

I can do some tests but I don't think it will be as substantial as you think. Bottom line I wouldn't sell this to customers and I recommend you test yourself before you sell it and have to explain to the customer that you have to sell them another computer for the Gateway.

thanks for the info...it would be a good test

I know my company would have considered Avigilon much more had it been easier to get pricing and the info we needed to compare them against other competitors. I personally researched them a few times but it was a hassle trying to get pricing form them and I got conflicting information a few times around the costs involved. All the pricing information I was able to get made them out to much more costly than the direction we did end up going I do know that, but I would have liked an easier way to compare head to head on pricing.

I know that almost every time pricing is "secret" I personally just assume it means it is too much lol.

In the end we went another direction and it is working out very well for us. I'll continue to watch them though to see how they continue to grow with all the changes they are going though. I liked what I was able to see from them so I hope they continue to do well!

Pricing is not difficult to get, it's just not posted all over the web. To get pricing just contact a dealer and we can quote you a price.

I tried that, and that is where I ran into issues. I could not get consistent pricing from those that I contacted. I had odd pricing from dealers where the same items were priced differently and that was a turn off. I want a set price so I know what I'm getting into in a large project you know? I also greatly prefer pricing to be transparent, if the prices are set then why the secrecy? Just odd for our situation, but I guess it helps the installer as the client is more dependent on them?

For us, we are the installer, purchaser, user, you name it we are doing it and all we needed was just equipment. We also made all decisions on the equipment, did all of our own testing and evaluation too. Some makers/vendors seem to not be set up for us but for the integrator only. That just makes it hard for them to capture business like ours where we just need a product sold to us for a price. I want at least a nice msrp price list with all the products they sell on there so I can then just contact sellers with specific price quotes for the equipment I need. Then the sellers can sell at less than that if they want, that I'm fine with.

I tried that, and that is where I ran into issues. I could not get consistent pricing from those that I contacted.

Can you name something that you recently purchased that is the same price from every retailer?

if the prices are set then why the secrecy?

Prices can not be set by a manufacturer because that would be price fixing which is illegal in the US.

Best,

Christopher

The prices range from a low of $353 to a high of $690. A price variation of almost 2X is way too confusing for the average consumer.

Best,

Christopher

The prices range from a low of $353 to a high of $690. A price variation of almost 2X is way too confusing for the average consumer.

Best,

Christopher

not to mention that none of those suppliers are authorized dealers so good luck getting support after your purchase

No account on NexTag, not logged in... wonder if members see different/more prices?

I think its called "IP Address mapping Database"

different info,pictures,prices for different region,states,provinces

very popular lately

I should have been more specific I suppose lol, but yes the differences I was talking about were huge. So is one too good to be true or is the other guy ripping me off? I need an MSRP to at least base my shopping on then I can shop around to find the best service and price that I'm looking for. Some may be full MSRP, some may sell below, maybe the service at full MSRP makes it worth it or maybe I just need the flat lowest price. Either way I feel better about my decision.

With others that I looked at I was at least close or in the neighborhood of each other in pricing, with Avigilon I was getting big swings that I felt were unnerving for me. The better prices I felt must be missing something due to how big the swings were!

It's ok, our decision is working out very well for us, but for others maybe Avigilon would have been better. I'm just saying this to help them in the future, or maybe even me on down the road who knows?

It's ok, our decision is working out very well for us,

Which NVR did you select? If there is an NVR that is even close to Avigilon in features and price, I'd sure like to know about it.

Best,

Christopher

We selected Exacq for our needs - it had every feature we needed and the price was unbeatable from the pricing I got. Web view and mobile apps were important and they were free - and when you are doing a big multi server install those things add up.

We selected Exacq for our needs - it had every feature we needed and the price was unbeatable from the pricing I got. Web view and mobile apps were important and they were free - and when you are doing a big multi server install those things add up.

Exacq is a good, but it can't compare to Avigilon. I agree that the original Gateway pricing was excessive; the recent price reduction was needed IMO. However, on the topic of big multi server installs and things that add up, did budget for the annual upgrades?

Best,

Christopher

Yes we did, we are able to get upgraded for longer than we expect the equipment to last for the price difference.

Plus with some of our small sites that we currently have nothing we will be able to get a camera or two up for almost nothing using just the software and not getting the hybrids we are rolling everywhere else. That's down the road yet though. Still, we should be at roughly 70 sites when done with even the little sites.

Anyone should be able to give him MSRP, it's not against forum rules and I'm sure a lot of us have arecont price lists kicking around somewhere... with some editing, they would only show MSRP.

I'm not a retailer so I can't help you out.

I have used Avigilon with a Panasonic 502, Axis IP camera, and Axis encoder. All worked perfectly.

Best,

Christopher

Speaking of Avigilon and Axis encoders. Does Avigilon see Axis 4 port (240q,241q) as a single license like their encoders, or one for each port?

I have used Avigilon with a Panasonic 502, Axis IP camera, and Axis encoder. All worked perfectly.

Best,

Christopher

Speaking of Avigilon and Axis encoders. Does Avigilon see Axis 4 port (240q,241q) as a single license like their encoders, or one for each port?

4 licenses for third party encoders