cglaeser

Avigilon on Atom Server

Should I go grab my bowl of popcorn for this?

I want to help Avigilon to became 200 mil company

They are about 100 mil now

that what I told them

I guess some people want to kill my dream

Worse comes to worse, we will start seeing licenses being sold at Costco.

I'm sorry, I'll stop now. Having too much fun. Sorry.

Should I go grab my bowl of popcorn for this?

They are about 100 mil now

that what I told them

I guess some people want to kill my dream

No you just like to make up your own rules.

All they have to do is sell 200 16MP cameras and they are good.

Though I did once suggest that the reason many installers are fond of this pricing model is that they could make much larger margins, and the customer was unable to easily check if they were getting a good deal.

If any installers have been selling to large corporates above the MSRP, and the MSRP is later made public then there could be some difficult questions asked of installers that may have been greedy in these more difficult times. Though in no way am I suggesting anyone here has done this.

Look up the MSRP on a CNB VCM-24VF. Pretty sure what we sell them for is higher than this... but we also have a longer supply chain to go through when importing them.

Remember, the S stands for SUGGESTED. Not SET. The manufacturer can SUGGEST a price; that doesn't require anyone to adhere to it.

And the R stands for RETAIL. If I can get it cheaper, I can sell it cheaper. If I have to pay retail, why should I be required to charge retail? I might as well just tell the customer to go buy his own damn cameras, if I can't mark it up.

Given that "MSRP" is little more than a vague hint ANYWAY, what's the big deal if you can't look it up? There's no set formula for factory vs. wholesale vs. retail cost markup - would you feel better if the manufacturer themselves tagged an extra 20% on their stated "MSRP" so their integrators can still make a better margin without "appearing" to apply a bigger markup?

Get over it already. It's a different business model that seems to work for them... like it or lump it.

Circling back to the original post, Avigilon has some of the most compelling products on the market. The NVR is both extremely powerful and easy on the processor. The JPEG2000 video encoder is one of the best values on the market, uses only one license for four cameras, and can make a $40 QSEE analog look pretty good. They have the widest pixel range on the market, starting at analog with their 4 port video encoders all the way up to 29MP, with many steps along the way. In addition, recent restructuring of the licensing (e.g. support Gateway on smaller installs and price reduction of the Gateway) demonstrate that the company does listen and is nimble enough to make course corrections.

Best,

Christopher

Circling back to the original post, Avigilon has some of the most compelling products on the market. The NVR is both extremely powerful and easy on the processor. The JPEG2000 video encoder is one of the best values on the market, uses only one license for four cameras, and can make a $40 QSEE analog look pretty good. They have the widest pixel range on the market, starting at analog with their 4 port video encoders all the way up to 29MP, with many steps along the way. In addition, recent restructuring of the licensing (e.g. support Gateway on smaller installs and price reduction of the Gateway) demonstrate that the company does listen and is nimble enough to make course corrections.

Best,

Christopher

And with a model like this, somehow manage to still be attractive without publishing their MSRPs. Imagine that.

Look up the MSRP on a CNB VCM-24VF. Pretty sure what we sell them for is higher than this... but we also have a longer supply chain to go through when importing them.

Isnt this just an example of why the pricing model suits some installers/retailers - if they have an inefficient supply chain, they can hide it from the end consumer.

Remember, the S stands for SUGGESTED. Not SET. The manufacturer can SUGGEST a price; that doesn't require anyone to adhere to it.

Agreed, but then again this favours those who would be inclined to add unrealistic margins. If the competition cant post prices or make them publicly available, the greedy ones choosing to sell at inflated prices are not easily identified.

It is also suggested by the manufacturer for a reason. Thats where they believe their product should sit in the market, where they feel the price will be acceptable to the market they are aiming the product at. If it is sold too far above this price, then it damages the ability for the product to look competitive in that chosen market. Given that Avigilon has shareholders to satisfy, I would not be surprised to see some control over pricing either now or later.

And the R stands for RETAIL. If I can get it cheaper, I can sell it cheaper. If I have to pay retail, why should I be required to charge retail? I might as well just tell the customer to go buy his own damn cameras, if I can't mark it up.

If the MSRP is made public and you cant get it below MSRP, then it will be difficult to sell the product, but then that would simply go to prove the theory that installers/retailers like this model as it puts them in control, and not the consumer.

Given that "MSRP" is little more than a vague hint ANYWAY, what's the big deal if you can't look it up? There's no set formula for factory vs. wholesale vs. retail cost markup - would you feel better if the manufacturer themselves tagged an extra 20% on their stated "MSRP" so their integrators can still make a better margin without "appearing" to apply a bigger markup?

It may make little difference to the installer/retailer if the MSRP is set higher so they can discount against a "fake" price, but it will make it a hell of a lot easier to sell the product into a market (domestic and small business) that are used to being able to check prices. While large corporations can sit down and assess the benefits against costs and have security departments review the equipment and come to conclusions etc before spending many thousands on equipment, small businesses and the domestic sector are more commonly just getting a quote, looking prices up online and seeing if they have a good deal. If they do, they buy it, if they dont, they wont. My own purchase of a few k's worth of Avigilon equipment is an example of this. I found the MSRP online (stored on a partners website that they did not hide fron google) - saw that the prices I were getting were either below, or just slightly above it, so I bought the kit.

There are very few products that are successful in the domestic and small business sector, where the consumers cannot lookup prices online.

Get over it already. It's a different business model that seems to work for them... like it or lump it.

Its not a concern for me as the end consumer. I just had the issue of trying to find the prices before buying. If I couldnt find them, I would not have bought Avigilon, simple as that. The move toward servicing the smaller end of the market as well as the upper, should be a concern for partners though. If they do produce a public MSRP list in time, then those who have sold above it may have some interesting chats with their customers.

And with a model like this, somehow manage to still be attractive without publishing their MSRPs. Imagine that.

Indeed they are. They are very successful in the high end and corporate size installation market that they have so far made good roads into

All I am suggesting is that the small business and domestic sector (which the core product seems to be heading toward) is not a sector that readily accepts the model used. Most small businesses and domestic buyers would wish to test any quotes or prices either online or over the phone with another provider before proceeding.

As an example, when purchasing something for home have you ever come across a site where all the prices are listed as "call". Most will just try the next site and see what the prices are. Like a car lot with no prices on the screens, and just an invitation to come inside and ask. People would just drive to the next car lot where they can have a look around.

Maybe they will be succesful in the smaller sector with the same model, maybe they wont? It will be interesting to see. I hope they do continue to grow and continue to provide the products for a long time. The more they invest in R&D and manufacturing, the cheaper I can buy additional cameras for my system - so I do hope they do well

Hmm

so far we all doing a very good job promoting Avigilon

whether positive or negative comments

it works

would you agree ?

Thats the power of google yes I really like the product, it may be a bit overkill for a domestic house. Indeed I dont know if I am the first UK domestic residence to use Avigilon or not, but I like the way the software works. Its a piece of cake to install and setup. Any basic understanding of IP technology will get it set up quickly.

In years to come I can se me adding cameras to bird boxes and even the green house to see if it needs watering before walking down the garden

Given how ridiculously easy and fast it is to search recorded video, I think it may be very usful for watching bids hatch or hedgehogs etc in their boxes. Im just starting to think of all sorts of diferent and educational (for my son) uses for the software above and beyond the basic security of the home. Its that easy to use. Glad I found it. Im also glad I found the prices, becasue that is what enabled me to make the final choice to buy it in the first place.

Hmm

so far we all doing a very good job promoting Avigilon

whether positive or negative comments

it works

would you agree ?

Your a smart man

Please post MSRP of all Avigilon products on this thread for more advertising.

Its not a concern for me as the end consumer. I just had the issue of trying to find the prices before buying. If I couldnt find them, I would not have bought Avigilon, simple as that. The move toward servicing the smaller end of the market as well as the upper, should be a concern for partners though. If they do produce a public MSRP list in time, then those who have sold above it may have some interesting chats with their customers.

nobody questions Avilone on this forum .. dont do it .. they ban u fast

Ive no need to question it now. I have the product, I like it. If I was an installer/retailer I would be interested in where the core product is going, but other than that I think its a gret bit of kit. Just leaves me to decide where I can make use of another few cameras around the house

Ive no need to question it now. I have the product, I like it. If I was an installer/retailer I would be interested in where the core product is going, but other than that I think its a gret bit of kit. Just leaves me to decide where I can make use of another few cameras around the house

Are you running it on an Atom Server like theotherguys?

No. I went a bit overkill on the server too dual core 2.8Ghz with 4GB storing to a 3x 1GB 7200 rpm array with room for expansion.

Seeing how very little pressure this puts on the server I built, I am not surprised to see it runing very happily on an atom at all.

I really like the product, it may be a bit overkill for a domestic house.

Yes, it is a bit pricey for the typical home install, but the announcement of Gateway support for smaller installs makes it more attractive. You can build a 4 or 8 camera analog system using one or two video encoders and an Atom for a price that is attractive to some home owners.

Also, I'm just really really tired of reviewing video on Exacq. A couple weeks ago some gas thieves cut the gas line of a car parked in an auto lot. Each day the car was moved to a different location on the lot. I had to follow that car backwards in time for a week to see where it was parked and who was near it. Thank goodness I installed Avigilon at that location. I was able to complete the review relatively quickly from a remote location. If I had to do that in Exacq it would have been considerably more tedious and taken much longer to complete.

Best,

Christopher

No. I went a bit overkill on the server too dual core 2.8Ghz with 4GB storing to a 3x 1GB 7200 rpm array with room for expansion.

Seeing how very little pressure this puts on the server I built, I am not surprised to see it runing very happily on an atom at all.

Kool.

Now maybe we can finally see some images and videos of these amazing cameras

Nobody else is willing to step up the plate.

Once I get them in place, no problem. Currently snowing here, and have had a busy couple of weekends trying to find a car to buy for the wife so other than the server, not a lot else is set up. Currently just have the 2mp internal dome pointing out through a window so I can keep an eye on the snow

Kool. Now maybe we can finally see some images and videos of these amazing cameras

Nobody else is willing to step up the plate.

I thought we were waiting on you. Have you installed the ACC client?

Best,

Christopher