cglaeser

Avigilon on Atom Server

Question for thewireguys:

Lets say a crime happens and you need to show you 16MP camera footage to the police or in court... You don't actually think they will start installing Avigilon client on their PC's or instead of a DVD player they will set up a special i7 computer in the courtroom to be able to use this processor intensive client software to see your video...

We just want to see overall video quality on youtube so that we don't have to install extra third party software.... Granted the video quality can only be up to 720P or 1080 on youtube I think you can agree that is sufficient to assess overall quality of a camera....

Lets say a crime happens and you need to show you 16MP camera footage to the police or in court... You don't actually think they will start installing Avigilon client on their PC's or instead of a DVD player they will set up a special i7 computer in the courtroom to be able to use this processor intensive client software to see your video...

We just want to see overall video quality on youtube so that we don't have to install extra third party software.... Granted the video quality can only be up to 720P or 1080 on youtube I think you can agree that is sufficient to assess overall quality of a camera....

I assume you have never been to court where video is evidence in a crime?

It has to be in it's NATIVE format and documentation provided for the type and manufacturer of the equipment and the chain of custody of the evidence.

BTW I play 16mp video on my 4 year old Windows XP laptop all the time.

I'll see if I can find the educational video done by the FBI and post it.

Xellbuy I have multiple law enforcement customers local and state and all of them use the player software no special computers needed. cCustomer back up the AVE file to DVD with the player software and hand it to the police. AVI files are fine for sharing videos but AVE files are for sharing evidence.

Sorry I disagree.

Edited by Guest

It has to be in it's NATIVE format and documentation provided for the type and manufacturer of the equipment and the chain of custody of the evidence.

BTW I play 16mp video on my 4 year old Windows XP laptop all the time.

I'll see if I can find the educational video done by the FBI and post it.

I have the video on my site > http://www.thewireguys.tv/education

ssmith10pn. that would be a good thead to start. people dont understand the law requiments as to equipment. and in most cases (and its getting more commen) lawyers will get scum off. watermarks digital signature are all importent for courts

Downloaded the ACC, the pixel search function is really nice. Also like the dynamic contrast.

Still prefer my system (for the home) of running analytics (and Axis Camera Station) but I can see for a lot of applications how this would be nice.

ssmith10pn. that would be a good thead to start. people dont understand the law requiments as to equipment. and in most cases (and its getting more commen) lawyers will get scum off. watermarks digital signature are all importent for courts

Pay close attention to 11:48 in.

Pay close attention to 11:48 in.

its been posted on the forum more times than seans popcorn.

i ment we all know why. but people buying cheap crap from the likes of ebay dont understand that as well as video other factors need to be thought about

Likewise - I always recommend to our Vigil users to use the native export option ("MJPEG" on older versions, "Authentic Video" on newer versions), rather than the AVI export. AVI is readily playable on almost anything, but it has no timestamp information, and no way to verify that it hasn't been edited. The native Vigil format includes full timestamp, resolution, framerate, and even POS overlay info, and the player has a "Check Authenticity" button that will confirm that the video hasn't been edited or tampered with.

Actually in the UK, for CCTV footage to be admissable in court, certain hoops have to be jumped through. Taking the footage off the original system and turning it into a dvd or avi etc will make it inadmissable. The Avigilon player is specifically designed to cope with this particular issue, as when you export the video from the original system is tags each frame with a hash code. That footage can then be checked by the player to verify each frame has not had any pixels changed. Therefore proving it is an exact copy of the original recording. (the video must be an exact replica of the original footage - this is the specific requirement of the courts). This is another reason why I went for the Avigilon system. Reading how and when video evidence can be admissable in courts in the UK was a very interesting subject.

I am hopefult that the Avigilon system thanks to this little feature, would offer me a better chance of having any video evidence made admissable than a standard recorder should I ever need to rely upon it.

I give native video to the police and DA regularly without any problems. I have eight arrests in the last two years. The police have reviewed my Exacq native video in their briefing room on a large screen without any problems. They can do the same with Avigilon.

On a related note, a local central station installed the Avigilon client on their computers so they can monitor Avigilon servers. I installed long-range Optex Redwall PIR motion sensors, and the CS pulls up the Avigilon cameras when there is a motion event, again, without any problems. When there is an event of interest, I can remotely acquire native video for evidence if needed, and have confidence that the police and DA will not have any problems reviewing it.

This is all very easy to do.

Best,

Christopher

I was given a demo of the Avigilon software client and playback software today by ak357. All I can say is wow... Boy am I impressed...

The software is very intuitive and easy to use and remarkably simple compared to the other NVR software I have seen. I can now understand why Avigilon client is used by high end markets, the software is very simple and yet seems very powerful and feature rich.

I'm starting to consider making the switch to IP for my home CCTV and using the Avigilon control server software to record the video.

Has anyone here used the Avigilon software server client with other brands of cameras besides Avigilon? Does it work well for you?

I was given a demo of the Avigilon software client and playback software today by ak357. All I can say is wow... Boy am I impressed...

The software is very intuitive and easy to use and remarkably simple compared to the other NVR software I have seen. I can now understand why Avigilon client is used by high end markets, the software is very simple and yet seems very powerful and feature rich.

I'm starting to consider making the switch to IP for my home CCTV and using the Avigilon control server software to record the video.

Has anyone here used the Avigilon software server client with other brands of cameras besides Avigilon? Does it work well for you?

I have it on some ACTi and Arecont cameras. Works fine. Also there 4 channel encoder is the baddest on the planet. And priced very reasonable.

All I can say is wow... Boy am I impressed...

Keep playing with it and I bet you will discover more features that are amazing. For example, you can view the same camera in multiple views. This feature is extremely useful when a crime is in progress. I can watch the entire scene in one view, zoom in on another, and playback recorded video in another, all at the same time. When I am on the phone with police dispatch and seconds count, I am trying to tell them what is happening, but also go back and review what happened. It's in the recorded video that I can get the best description, such as shoes, clothes, etc. That information is hard to do in the real time view, so I scroll the time line and pan/zoom to the best image in the recorded view and report everything I can see. Try doing that in Exacq. Not possible.

Keep in mind, you don't have to replace any of your analog cameras on day one. The Avigilon video encoders are very affordable and record excellent video. And, each four port encoder uses only one license. So for example if you have 4 or 8 analogs, you could start with 1 or 2 encoders, and then start adding IP cameras as budget permits. It's not uncommon for installers to go to a large analog site and drop in an Avigilon server a large number of encoders, and then start migrating to IP.

I have used Avigilon with a Panasonic 502, Axis IP camera, and Axis encoder. All worked perfectly.

Best,

Christopher

I have used Avigilon with a Panasonic 502, Axis IP camera, and Axis encoder. All worked perfectly.

Was that with audio?

It seems very intuitive... All the buttons are where you think they will be.

How long have you been using the Avigilon NVR client? Do you have it running on a regular PC with an Ethernet switch?

All I can say is wow... Boy am I impressed...

Keep playing with it and I bet you will discover more features that are amazing.

It seems very intuitive... All the buttons are where you think they will be.

How long have you been using the Avigilon NVR client? Do you have it running on a regular PC with an Ethernet switch?

I've been using Avigilon for about a year. At one site, I have 10 cameras (5MP, 2MP, and 8 analog on 2 video encoders) running on a $139 Atom board. I added memory, disk, and Windows 7. Perhaps the most advanced feature of Avigilon is the implementation of the video database. The implementation is incredibly efficient, and puts very little load on the CPU. When you expand and collapse the timeline, you can scrub across the timeline and pull up images across an hour, day, or week, with virtually no pause. With an NVR such as Exacq, you have to back-fill the recorded timeline, which is painfully slow. Plus, in Exacq, you must be in real time or recorded time; you can't be in both.

In JPEG2000, Avigilon only pulls up the needed resolution to match the viewing window. This is a huge win when viewing large MP cameras The added bit depth of JPEG2000 can also retain information in dark areas. The search feature is incredibly fast. These are a few of the features that make it so compelling. Avigilon is the benchmark by which all other NVRs should be measured. In time, I expect other NVRs will work this well. As of today, I am not aware of an NVR that can match it.

Best,

Christopher

I know my company would have considered Avigilon much more had it been easier to get pricing and the info we needed to compare them against other competitors. I personally researched them a few times but it was a hassle trying to get pricing form them and I got conflicting information a few times around the costs involved. All the pricing information I was able to get made them out to much more costly than the direction we did end up going I do know that, but I would have liked an easier way to compare head to head on pricing.

I know that almost every time pricing is "secret" I personally just assume it means it is too much lol.

In the end we went another direction and it is working out very well for us. I'll continue to watch them though to see how they continue to grow with all the changes they are going though. I liked what I was able to see from them so I hope they continue to do well!

In JPEG2000, Avigilon only pulls up the needed resolution to match the viewing window. This is a huge win when viewing large MP cameras The added bit depth of JPEG2000 can also retain information in dark areas. The search feature is incredibly fast. These are a few of the features that make it so compelling. Avigilon is the benchmark by which all other NVRs should be measured. In time, I expect other NVRs will work this well. As of today, I am not aware of an NVR that can match it.

Best,

Christopher

Actually they call HDMS ( High Definition Management Stream )

and its working for their H.264 cameras as well

if you enable second stream

I know my company would have considered Avigilon much more had it been easier to get pricing and the info we needed to compare them against other competitors. I personally researched them a few times but it was a hassle trying to get pricing form them and I got conflicting information a few times around the costs involved. All the pricing information I was able to get made them out to much more costly than the direction we did end up going I do know that, but I would have liked an easier way to compare head to head on pricing.

I know that almost every time pricing is "secret" I personally just assume it means it is too much lol.

In the end we went another direction and it is working out very well for us. I'll continue to watch them though to see how they continue to grow with all the changes they are going though. I liked what I was able to see from them so I hope they continue to do well!

Pricing is not difficult to get, it's just not posted all over the web. To get pricing just contact a dealer and we can quote you a price.

if your running 4 5mp on a core i5 and are logged into the server using the gateway i think the cpu is gonna work harder? so the server might be fine recording like 20 cams but when you ask the gateway to work your gonna tax the system more? right?

processors cpu mark all comes down to mbps recording rate. so a cpu with a 3000 mark is good for what like 100mbps recording with overhead for the gateway?

if your running 4 5mp on a core i5 and are logged into the server using the gateway i think the cpu is gonna work harder? so the server might be fine recording like 20 cams but when you ask the gateway to work your gonna tax the system more? right?

processors cpu mark all comes down to mbps recording rate. so a cpu with a 3000 mark is good for what like 100mbps recording with overhead for the gateway?

For small camera counts you can run the gateway on the same server BUT Avigilon strongly recommends that the Gateway be installed on a separate machine.