cglaeser

Avigilon on Atom Server

I purchased a Zotac Atom for $139 and added a 500GB 7200RPM drive, 4GB of DDR3, and Windows 7 x64. The Zotac enclosure is only 7" x 7" x 2" and easily attaches to the back of a monitor with the mounting bracket that is provided. I installed the Avigilon server, client, and mobile gateway. I attached 2 Avigilon video encoders and 8 analog cameras running at 5ips. I've been testing the system for the past 24 hours, and everything seems to be working fine. Using the client locally or remotely over the WAN, and using the iOS apps all work fine with no apparent loss in performance or dropped frames.

The speed with which recorded video can be searched and reviewed is remarkable. Everything is practically instant, even over the WAN. I can scroll hours of recorded video in seconds and watch the sun come up and go down. Over the WAN! Very cool.

Pixel searching is also incredibly fast. Apparently, Avigilon saves some sort of bitmap with each frame so that they can locate recorded video with desired motion almost instantly. I created a pixel search area to view all the customers who walked onto an auto lot. I located every customer who entered since sunup within seconds. Also very cool.

Several weeks ago I called the police while watching an auto burglary in progress using Exacq. I was trying to give descriptions of what the burglars were doing and what they were wearing while at the same time trying to review recorded video to see what they had done. For those who have used Exacq, you know that pulling up recorded video is relatively slow. Switching back and forth between live and recorded can be painfully slow, and it seems to take forever when there is a crime in progress. Not only is Avigilon much faster than Exacq when pulling up recorded video, but with Avigilon, you can watch live video and scroll recorded video at the same time.

Exacq has some compelling features. The server will run on Linux (thus avoiding the cost of the OS), the mobile app is free (the Avigilon Gateway is $500), scheduling is included (Avigilon requires the Enterprise license for scheduling) and the browser does not require ActiveX. However, the design of the database that supports the Avigilon video library sets it apart from the other NVR applications. The speed is blistering compared to Exacq.

Best,

Christopher

Sounds interesting .. any chance of a video demo or screenshots?

Or is this at a client?

Do they have a software download to demo?

At least for the client end.

Did you say the mobile app costs $500?

Not that it matters to me though as I use desktop OS.

Sounds interesting .. any chance of a video demo or screenshots?

Or is this at a client?

The cameras are $12 Q See junk. The Avigilon on-line training videos will give you a better idea about features.

Do they have a software download to demo?

At least for the client end.

Yes. Contact one of the distributors on this forum for a 30 day key.

Did you say the mobile app costs $500?

Yes, the Gateway that is needed to run the mobile apps is $500 per server (the iTunes apps are free). That's one of the reasons I was holding off on the switch. However, some of the other features are so compelling, I think it's worth the extra expense.

Not that it matters to me though as I use desktop OS.

Well, I know you are always super cost sensitive, so a fast performing top-of-the-line NVR app is likely out of your price range. You should review all the numbers before installing the demo. Otherwise, you may fall in love with a product you can't install.

Best,

Christopher

I'm curious what kind of processor percentages on the server you were using for each task...

1. Local client viewing/ exporting

2. Wan client viewing

3. Wan viewing on gateway

I have not measured the processor performance, but I do know that remote LAN, WAN, and iOS viewing of 10 cameras (8 analog cameras on two encoders and a 5MP and 2MP) on an Atom have been rock solid for months.

Also, Avigilon has recently announced a price reduction on the Gateway as well as support for Android. In addition, the Gateway can now be added to ACC Core, the small business / residential NVR with up to 16 cameras.

Best,

Christopher

Without asking anyone to reveal pricing, as I know thats not possible, can anyone advise by how much the gateway license has changed in terms of percntages? I did not take this option up from my supplier at the time as I didnt really know whether I would use it or not and would probably have the novelty of accessing the system on my phone wear off after a while. If its not dropped a little then I may treat myself to a new gadget.

Without asking anyone to reveal pricing, as I know thats not possible, can anyone advise by how much the gateway license has changed in terms of percntages? I did not take this option up from my supplier at the time as I didnt really know whether I would use it or not and would probably have the novelty of accessing the system on my phone wear off after a while. If its not dropped a little then I may treat myself to a new gadget.

Gateway new price is $195 MSRP

Edited by Guest

Gateway new price is *** ****

Why alex?

Please remove MSRP Pricing

I did change price.... I made it bigger font

Not sure why you think your so special and don't have to follow the rules like every other person.

This is rigged. They pre-planned this. I know them too well.

If not, When are we going to start see Avigilon on websites now:

That funny

but u are wrong

I will not post prices on website

I simply answer one ? about Gateway lic

and I did clear with sales VP

absolutely not a big deal

but I bet Rory is happy

That funny

but u are wrong

I will not post prices on website

I simply answer one ? about Gateway lic

and I did clear with sales VP

absolutely not a big deal

but I bet Rory is happy

Well the email that I received from him states differently.

Edited by Guest

Im still mistified by the policy, but respect the fact that people have to abide by it (or at least I thought that was still the case) hence why asking for percentages, as I had already been told the pricing before the recent drop.

Though I do think that Avigilon will soon possibly go the way of other manufacturers. With the release of the 'core' system it seems to be no longer aimed at the high end market. The core system is clearly designed for the residential/small business market. This market is one that will not accept prices being "hidden" from end users. It is my guess that the msrp will soon become public, even if it is a "higher" msrp to give the dealers enough wiggle room to sell below it and still make a good margin.

There are only a certain number of larger corporate intallations that can be done, opening the products up to a much larger market could result in a much larger volume of sales to a larger number of consumers, while still keeping the partner network in place to offer end user support.

As Avigilon now have shareholders to please, and a sector wanting a return on the investment they made on those shares it could be that Avigilon are going to try pushing into the domestic/small business sector to increase their market share.

The addition of the gateway option for the core system is slightly annoying from a personal perspective, as that was one of the reasons I went for the standard so that I could set up remote access at a later date if desired. Though the ability to record sound may come in useful for some future projects. Though the core can only have one server connection at a time, while the standard can have 3, which is something that I will probably require.

MSRP prices are private? Hmmm....

Seems like some guys like to charge more then MSRP....

Depending on how long their supply chain is, they may have no choice.

Though I did once suggest that the reason many installers are fond of this pricing model is that they could make much larger margins, and the customer was unable to easily check if they were getting a good deal.

If any installers have been selling to large corporates above the MSRP, and the MSRP is later made public then there could be some difficult questions asked of installers that may have been greedy in these more difficult times. Though in no way am I suggesting anyone here has done this.

Lets not forget the company now has public shareholders, people who have rasied in excess of $20m for Avigilon by purchasing shares will have an infuence. If there is enough pressure to encourage Avigilon to trade more to domestic and private buyers, then they may well do so. The prices would then have to be public, this could raise those tricky questions of installers that have used the hidden prices to make extra large margins. When the tide goes out, you see who is swimming naked.