mike300

Geo with Dual Core Processor

Is there any big advantage to running a Geo GV-1480 card with the new Pentium D dual-core processor? Would it be any better than a single processor with a similar clock speed?

Why in the world would you do that??? Extra cost for no particular reason... P4 2.8 HT is the minimum... thats about it.

Why in the world would you do that??? Extra cost for no particular reason... P4 2.8 HT is the minimum... thats about it.

During my tests GV-1480 performance was much worse on Pentium 3.0 GHz with HT enabled. Task manager showed me that second (logical) CPU was working on 100% while first logical CPU was working on just 1-2%. It seems like Geovision software is not able to benefit from many CPUs so I decided to disable HT in my installation.

I hope to get a response from Geovision on that topic soon.

I am surprised that you are using a 100% of your CPU when your capture card is hardware based. This should take quite a load off the CPU.

How much memory do you have?

What video card are you using?

How many cameras are you currently running on the card?

What is the overall FPS you are recording for all cameras combined?

Is there any other unnecessary software running on the system other than what is required for the security system to operate?

Did you figure out why your CPU was maxed out? Any word back from GeoVision?

The GV-1480 is not hardware compression, all the Geo boards still use software compression except the Hybrid.

If you send GeoVision a tech support question, don't be surprised if you get better answers out of this forum. Many of the tech support staff has left the company and the "new" guys are not trained up to speed yet.

scottj

Oops, I thought I was getting hardware compression with this card. What would I need to give my GV-1240 card hardware compression?

Can I expect a 100% CPU utilization with a dual core 2.8 Pentium D proccesor if I don't get the harwdare compresion card?

Thanks

you would need (4) Hybrid cards used in conjunction with the GV-1240 assuming it is a 16 channel.

And no, you should not experience 100% CPU usage if the system is built and configured correctly providing the board is not faulty. This means no cheap components. You generally get what you pay for, so use good quality parts and you will achieve the best performance.

The Hybrid cards are not worth the added expense. We tested them and basically what they do is allow for a higher frame rate at a higher resolution ex: 720x480.

GV800 on Windows XP 5 cameras, 720x480 recording and display with MPEG4, 2.4Ghz Celleron, 512MB DDR, 128MB Video .....

Over VNC i did a check and im only running 50% CPU, and VNC probably was using some of that.

Rory

this may be as stupid question but is there a way to access the Windows Task Manager without using the keypad?

The file name is taskmgr.exe if that helps. Can you use a mouse? Create a link or shortcut that runs that file.

yeah i know, thats why i deleted the post silly ..

hey 4 hours sleep in 3 days yah know ...

yeah i know, thats why i deleted the post silly ..

hey 4 hours sleep in 3 days yah know ...

You delete faster than I type.

I don’t have enough PCI slots for all those Hybrid cards even if I had or was willing to spend the extra money. I have the GV-1240-8 channel card.

The system I ordered is a Dell, Pentium D 820 with dual 2.8GHz, 800FSB, 1GB Dual Channel (DDR2) SDRAM at 533MHz . 256MB ATI PCI express x16 X600 SE Video Card. I believe the system has 3 PCI slots, 1 PCIex16 (Video Slot), 1 PCIe x4 and 1 PCIe x1. I plan on using 2 250GB 7200rpm drives on USB for swapping the drives in and out for review offsite.

Rory, How many camera’s total?, What resolutions and total fps are you recording for each camera? MPEG-4 quality setting? Bit-rate? What did I gain with the 1240-8 card over the GV-800, just sound capability?

GV 1240 will display and record in 240fps, while the 800 is 120fps.

The 1240 also has the DSP output for high quality analogue output to a TV or CCTV Monitor, which will be much crisper than a PC monitor, and it is also real time.

That particular unit is 5 cameras, recording in highest res, 720x480, Smart Recording (it distributes the recording speed between the connected cameras when they are triggered with motion detection) , set to motion detection. Its using the Geo Mpeg4 codec. These are the EX80s and EX82s so night time is very good with motion.

Also, i turn off a ton of Windows XP services that most others leave on.

Rory

Thanks, it is good to know that the computer won’t be running at 100% all the time, 50% would be great.

I plan on running 720x480 on 5 cameras as well. 1 camera 30fps, 4 others around 15fps or more? If I can store at least 7 days or more using a 250GB hard drive the business will be happy. The cameras will be recording at least 16 hours a day 7 days a week and motion activated recording when the place is closed.

I forgot about the real-time display, that was a factor when I picked out that card although now it doesn't seem important at all since the reviewing will be done off site anyway.

I am surprised though that the computer monitor would not produce the better display. Why isn’t a computer monitor the best choice?

You still need the PC monitor, for set up, etc.

Just not as clear as pure composite video.

Anyway, im getting 5 full days at that setting with a 250GB HDD, the 720x480 takes alot, cuts your time down by at least 50% or more. Basically if you need 7 days with those settings, you are looking at maybe 2x160s or 2x250s, something like that.

Now that said, I use motion detection so im not recording 16 hours a day, not even close, so you will definately need alot more storage. Good thing is with the PC you can always install additional, and assign it to Geo to span.

So if they wanted to store more days and they have 2-250GB drives now and I add another 250GB or larger drive to a span they could store more days and they could come in and remove the oldest drive connected via USB and take it home for review? Is that right?

By the way, how is the weather there right now? I heard about a storm developing in your area.

Rained all day, also a tropical storm last couple days

Best to ask Scott as I havent used multiple drives on them yet, but theoretically that should be how it works. The video is saved in AVI files so you can view them anywhere.

Rory

Yeah you could do that with external USB drives. Just add all the drives to the set location setting. Make sure you don't span them through windows. The only thing you would have to do is run the database repair utility after you swap the drives. Also, you might want to make sure that the geo codec is installed on the machine you'll use for viewing the video at home.