NHSmediahub

Using CCTV to create Timelapse

I work for a large NHS Foundation Trust. There are large re-developments in the pipeline and i have been asked to find a way to use our CCTV system or a stand alone camera to capture the erection of the building. the shedule of works would be 22 months and we would want about 8-10 stills per day.

Does anyone know of a way i can do this? I look forward to hearing from someone in the know.

This is a time laps I created using a 5mp IQinvision camera. I just took still frames and put them together in a movie editing program. You can control the time inbetween frames, these ones are kinda long, but it does the trick. Basically its like a big slide show.

You should watch closely at the end I put a picture of a dog peeing on the bush in front of the house lol

I work for a large NHS Foundation Trust. There are large re-developments in the pipeline and i have been asked to find a way to use our CCTV system or a stand alone camera to capture the erection of the building. the shedule of works would be 22 months and we would want about 8-10 stills per day.

Does anyone know of a way i can do this? I look forward to hearing from someone in the know.

Easy, with the right camera and/or DVR... I have my home Vigil DVR set to record one frame of an IQ 511 camera every hour, which makes a nice time-lapse playback (I can set intervals of up to 4 hours).

The IQ camera itself can send a frame via FTP or email on just about any interval you can specify - one per day, one per week, whatever. Most cameras with built-in flash memory support can record similarly to an SD or CF card.

I'm doing a project right now where we are capturing one frame per second for a 6-month deconstruction project. This will be turned into a time lapse when it is done. The project also involves streaming the video live over the internet. That part is kind of low resolution, because we are limited to using NTSC input. See

http://www.dteenergy.com/dteEnergyCompany/community/monroeStacks.html

The real stills look much nicer, as they are 2mp resolution. We are using a Vivotek 8162.

http://www.vivotek.com/products/model.php?network_camera=ip8162p

I'm recording the 1fps using Vivotek's free software. I wish I could do the 1 frame per hour like Soundy is going, but I don't have the option, so I will have a lot of data to discard.

The actual image you see on the link above is for the live streaming, and is coming from the composite out of a Panasonic WV-SW395. But as a back up, this camera is capturing one frame per twenty seconds. I set up a FTP server using Filezilla server (free), and the camera sends a .jpg to it every 20 seconds. The, afterward, I can use a compiler to put the jpgs into a video.

Matt

Hello,

You can use a piece of software called HandyAvi. Get it from here www.azcendant.com

This will take over 600 different types of camera over IP or via capture card in the PC, MJPG etc

It is really cool allowing you to set whatever time frame you like for capture, and it bundles it all together in a nice little video when your done!!!

Hi all

I have a timelapse project and require a high res IP camera (perhaps around 2-5mp) that can be set to record an image every 15mins (or any other user set interval).

Any suggestions ?

thanks in advance

Mine timelapse is finally done. I used a 2mp Vivotek camera. See:

http://www.dteenergy.com/dteEnergyCompany/community/monroeStacks.html

Running at 1fps, I just pulled a few still frames from each day, and put them together in a video editing program. Some days I took more frames, and other days I took less frames depending on how much work was done on that day. Getting it smooth was not easy.

Grab a Panasonic "petcam" Good image quality and you can either grab a jpeg using an URL or have it ftp files to a server of your choice. $75 and nothing else to worry about. Also if you have any older Canon point and shoot camera, CHDK (a firmware overlay) will do what you want.

Capture the frames like others have suggested, then use quicktime pro, which can easily combine all the stills into a timelapse. I've done this many times for professional video projects.

I'm doing a project right now where we are capturing one frame per second for a 6-month deconstruction project.

I'm recording the 1fps using Vivotek's free software. I wish I could do the 1 frame per hour like Soundy is going, but I don't have the option, so I will have a lot of data to discard.

Matt

Hi all

it's a situation like this that I'm trying to avoid ie " I wish I could do the XXX frame per hour".

I really don't want to buy a camera and then find it wont support a user defined capture rate.

thanks

I have done this a couple of times and I think the main thing is to get plenty of frames and then edit out the ones you don't need I think we set up for about a picture every minute. Making the movie was more about getting rid of extra prictures as at certain times of the construction project not much happens outside. We edited out rain days also. I would also back up your captured photos on a regular basis. Kind of hard to explain why you missed something important

Hi everybody i'm fairly new here but thought i might be able to help/add my two pennies worth.

I compile time lapse videos for our company and we currently use mainly Mobotix cameras for image capturing, they produce the best images for the file size of all the cameras we have tried, only issue is that they are expensive (read very expensive). But i suppose if you're going to be using them a lot it helps!

You can have several outputs on the camera so depending on the quality of connection you could record an image every 10 mins to one folder, every hour to another etc. And possibly even have a live feed on a website as well.

To compile the clips I use VirtualDub (a freeware AVI programme) and then convert into various other formats from there.

Oh and lastly, just because everybody loves looking at the clips, here's one of ours too http://cctvmon.com/leadenhall/september.html (though the camera used here is not mobotix, just to confuse things further)

[quote="

I really don't want to buy a camera and then find it wont support a user defined capture rate.

thanks

Well, I ended up with a Grandstream GXV3601_HD- probably not the smartest move.

I'm a Mac user (running XP via emulation software) and it's been very frustrating trying to set this camera up.

I can view a live stream (only works via Internet Explorer) but I can't work out how to grab one frame every XX mins so I can create a timelapse.

Greatly appreciate if anyone could offer some help.

cheers

Blue Iris will take snapshots at intervals. I don't have it in front of me, so can't say what the time lapse choices are, but you can download a 15 day demo version to see if it does what you need.

Blue Iris will take snapshots at intervals. I don't have it in front of me, so can't say what the time lapse choices are, but you can download a 15 day demo version to see if it does what you need.

Thank you for your reply.

I tried Blue Iris but it's not finding the IP camera.(I can see the feed using IE)

I've emailed the developer to see if he can help.

9 hours ago, viralfolks said:

It's important to seek permission from the relevant authorities and the construction company before installing  cctv monitoring services on the site, and to ensure that the cameras are placed in a safe and secure location.

WHY ???? ….. no wonder you need to spam giving advice like this to your customers 

nothing to do with monitoring…… post is 12 years old

• Like 1