vmgtlexi

Samsung SCO-2080R STINKS!!!

I bought two of Samsung's SCO-2080R bullet camera. Here's my experience:

Camera One: Installed a few weeks ago. Had to move locations (see my other post) b/c it could NOT handle the combination shady areas and sunny areas AT ALL. The sunny areas were 100% washed out. I contacted Samsung support, and had the same issues after going through their recommended steps.

Camera Two: I figured my chances of having two bad cameras was slim to none. I was wrong. I installed the 2nd one and it has the same problem. Plus, it cannot find a happy zoom/focus setting. I have been "around the horn" about 15 times through every zoom/focus combination possible. It's just can't find a good middle ground.

I will NEVER buy another Samsung camera, and encourage you to consider my experience before buying. I almost bought one of their DVR's....glad I didn't.

In my experience with these SCO-2080R cameras, they seem to make crap products and hope it sells because of the Samsung name. I was duped, but never again.

Good luck.

Samsung cameras for the most part are pretty high quality and produce good images. Mostly all Korean made. It seems that perhaps it was just this camera type or your particular scenario or a combination of the both that was causing the issues. Sorry to hear about the bad experience nonetheless.

Rory - I am using the dials on board the camera. They unscrew to loosen, then I can adjust them.

Thanks to all for the feedback, support, consoling, etc.!

In "non-very-bright" situations, I have to give these cameras credit. They do OK. They just CANNOT handle bright situations at all.

Samsung sent me work orders to send them in for "repair"; but since 2 of them act the same way, I am really not sure that a "repair" is needed. And, the repair facility is a 3rd part vendor. I fear that they may come back worse than before, or damaged, etc.!

So, I'll just live with them. The consolation is that I have a brand new 9 channel DVR installed (I replaced a 4 channel DVR). So, I get to buy more cameras!! Yipppeeee!

This is my 2nd Everfocus DVR, and I remain very impressed with them; but, that is a topic for a separate forum (ie, a DVR-related topic).

i use these cam all the time...you gotta play with the settings or something...i have installed about 25 of them...and the dvr line and smart viewer software rocks. it is easy for the customer to use and figure out. plus to recorded h.264 quality is top notch for analogue. they even work with net i veier software which helps you to integrate analogue and ip...

168326_1.jpg

168326_2.jpg

168326_3.jpg

168326_4.jpg

168326_5.jpg

168326_6.jpg

168326_7.jpg

The pictures you provided show a lot of blur. This camera seems like a poor choice for a camera as I have seen cheaper cams perform better.

i use these cam all the time...you gotta play with the settings or something...

The pictures you provided show a lot of blur. This camera seems like a poor choice for a camera as I have seen cheaper cams perform better.

i use these cam all the time...you gotta play with the settings or something...

blah blah blah....put up some pics then of your cheap cameras better pics

It was cropped from a 4 camera view which is why its so small.

What dimentions is that picture?
Edited by Guest

It was cropped from a 4 camera view which is why its so small.

It is not "so small"

its about right size for CIF single cam view

i use these cam all the time...you gotta play with the settings or something.

Tom - With any amount of contrast or dynamic colors/lights, mine look worse than yours; and yours don't look all that great (just sayin'); they look "acceptable", but certainly not "premium-priced-Samsung".

Also, their tech support has fallen off a cliff for my concerns. I am not going to pursue any factory adjustments anyway, unless of course something else goes wrong under warranty. But, I am also not buying another Samsung, and I do have 1 more camera that needs replacing.

I'm just curious because a smaller picture seems to help out the sharpness of a shot. I scale my shots down from something like 1120x..., which is what the default size is in my remote software, to 700x when I take a snapshot from video. If it's gonna look better at 400x, well heck- I'll post even smaller shots.

168340_1.jpg

daydandrivewaysmall-1.jpg

168340_2.jpg

173932_1.jpg

168340_3.jpg

168340_4.jpg

Edited by Guest

Tom - With any amount of contrast or dynamic colors/lights, mine look worse than yours; and yours don't look all that great (just sayin'); they look "acceptable", but certainly not "premium-priced-Samsung".

Also, their tech support has fallen off a cliff for my concerns. I am not going to pursue any factory adjustments anyway, unless of course something else goes wrong under warranty. But, I am also not buying another Samsung, and I do have 1 more camera that needs replacing.

what are you comparing your images to refrence good or bad (show an image you like). daytime shots with high contrast scenes and lots of uneven lighting makes anything look crappy. you can't have a camera that has perfect pictures in all conditions. it usually ends up getting set up for a particular circumstance. the samsungs seem to have been best all around (balancing good scenes and bad)... i just put some cnb's in and in high contrast they look the same(acceptable but not super)...mabye try to put the cam in black and white mode and see if the dynamic range evens out if thats what your going for. i am stuck thinking this h.264 codec and compression makes any of these cameras look poor. mabye its the bit rate....but plug the cam directly into a crt screen and they look awesome...

I'll post some pics in a few days of a 3mp samsung i am installing...we'll see how that does..

i will mention with those sco's at full wide focal length they have an issue with blur on the outer edges of the frame...i'm still looking for a great bullet for my low budget installs, but am going purely megapixel nowadays anyhow...f...k it. they wanna play, they gotta pay. (CSI show enchance here we come)))) lol

[attachment=2]menew.png[/attachment]

[attachment=0]ktceg.png[/attachment]

[attachment=1]Old Extreme CCTV EX-82 PITCH DARK WIDE 1.png[/attachment]

the 8:39 time image of the ktc looks good, but again it's all about even lighting.

rory do you have a d1 capture of them...kinda small. obviously the ex 82 looks great...it better for the dough they want for it

i'll check, meanwhile click on the image to make it larger.

these were all captured over the network, so there is some loss of quality.